Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Now I know why we garden

Default Now I know why we garden

I have discovered why so many of you break your backs gardening. I planted potatoes and have just eaten a few of the result. WOW they were just lovely I am now determined to do better next year.
    Two things are infinite: the Universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the Universe.

Einstein

he he Veekay, no going back now lol
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing. But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

aaaaaaaand another one hooked

It's a great feeling of accomplishment when you "eat the fruit of your labour".

Yes sassylass well and truely hooked. I am looking through books I have had for an age planning next years planting ( listen to me I sound as if I know what I am talking about!) Don't think I will try anything too ambitious but hey in for a penny.

By the way when do I pull up my leeks to cook?
    Two things are infinite: the Universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the Universe.

Einstein

i am with you. we started ours a couple of weeks ago and i managed to get the kids to eat them aswell...Coated only in butter...So much nicer without the price.....am waiting for the veg to be readuy so i can have a good old traditional sunday lunch, meat veg and tatties...with gravy and yorkshire pud of course....

tatties are nearly half done, peas never make the house the bairns just help themselves outside, broccoli (1st year trying) is ready, and the sweetcorn i think is ready in the greenhouse. only thing that didn't work tihs year was the watermelons couldn't get them to set. will try again next year
    not a bad year for the veg just not a great year to sit outside and relax

Quote Originally Posted by lynne duncan View Post
    tatties are nearly half done, peas never make the house the bairns just help themselves outside, broccoli (1st year trying) is ready, and the sweetcorn i think is ready in the greenhouse. only thing that didn't work tihs year was the watermelons couldn't get them to set. will try again next year
    not a bad year for the veg just not a great year to sit outside and relax
    hi lynne,
    I could not get the watermelon to take this year.Bad weather but i am gonna try next yr,get them well established in the house first....My broccoli has a little way to go and the sweetcorn needs all the help it can get...I have cauli,leeks onions, beetroot, carrots and i hope that they will be ready soon as i want to get pickling.....Taste so much better when you grow it yourself.....