Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Shearer, James (Burial Place)

Default Shearer, James (Burial Place)

I am trying to find the burial place of James Shearer who died on 12 January 1870 aged 75 years - son of George and Helen Shearer. His death certificate just says 'died at Canisbay'. We cannot find a grave in the Canisbay or Dunnet church yard. He had a son William who died aged 16 in 1856 and according to his death certificate he was buried in the Dunnet church yard. We cannot find his grave either. Can anyone with any records help us at all. Any info would be greatly appreciated as this is a long search - going back many many years!!!
    Muruchy

I have checked in Vol 1 of Caithness Monumental Inscriptions which covers Dunnet and Canisbay and am sorry to say there is absolutly nothing in there

Default Re: Shearer, James (Burial Place)

Quote Originally Posted by Christine
    I am trying to find the burial place of James Shearer who died on 12 January 1870 aged 75 years - son of George and Helen Shearer. His death certificate just says 'died at Canisbay'. We cannot find a grave in the Canisbay or Dunnet church yard. He had a son William who died aged 16 in 1856 and according to his death certificate he was buried in the Dunnet church yard. We cannot find his grave either. Can anyone with any records help us at all. Any info would be greatly appreciated as this is a long search - going back many many years!!!
    The reason is that you may not able to find them as that they might be buried in a unmarked grave - The Caithness MI pre 1855 only covers the ones with a headstone. You will have to find out if the graves are under the council control if not you will need to find out who is responsible for the graveyards, they may have the burial books indicating where people are buried.

Just returned from the cold but sunny North. My sister lives at Upper Gills, Canisbay,about 2mls outside the village.Funnily enough her nearest neighbour is Margaret Shearer,Lol.

We've been tracking 'Graves' this last fortnight and have found that sometimes they are not buried where they died IF the family plot was elsewhere. Lots of Shearer plots in Wick New & OLD Cemeteries.

Good Luck.
    Perserverence is the Key
    Searching Hazel,Campbell,Sutherland,Bremner,Calder,Gunn.
    Jacquie

the highland council parks dept in wick and thurso hold all burial records in the area and will do a search for a small fee