Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Practice Venues for bands

Default Practice Venues for bands

After seeing the big gig run for the last 2 days!

I was wondering were everybody practices! Because of noise levels and stuff.

My band practice in a shed in tongue!
    and tongue is in the middle of no were. But we had the police over sayin they would confiscate our gear.

And then the next few days on from that Envoirmental Health came to the house aswell!

So were do u all pracitce?
    Big Imagination For Feeling Young Cause Life Yearns Real Optimism

We practise at Murkle... we practise very loud... probably too loud. We've only had one noise complaint.

Yeah we practice sorta rediculousy loud! and i have no idea how to spell that word in the bold

We got one complaint and the police came straight away. I can see why though! the poor dude is based in Tongue, think how much high speed chases he gets there! lol
    Big Imagination For Feeling Young Cause Life Yearns Real Optimism

Quote Originally Posted by zebedy View Post
    Yeah we practice sorta rediculousy loud! and i have no idea how to spell that word in the bold

We got one complaint and the police came straight away. I can see why though! the poor dude is based in Tongue, think how much high speed chases he gets there! lol
    In a garage. Owned, not rented, so there isnt too much the polis can do. Unless off course we were playing at stupid times of the day!

Also, a little word with the neighbors to give them some re-assurance about when you will likely be practicing, and for how long, goes a long long way.

We're so metal we don't need practice.

Thumbs down Noise

We have an idiot near us who practices Drums - will be getting visit from Polis etc - It would be ok if either him or his mates were any good but they are Rubbish! Cant understand why they need so many amps - they must me brain dead!

Quote Originally Posted by fatmaggie9 View Post
    We have an idiot near us who practices Drums - will be getting visit from Polis etc - It would be ok if either him or his mates were any good but they are Rubbish! Cant understand why they need so many amps - they must me brain dead!
    Hey, you don't live in Durness Street by any chance?

Everyone needs loads of amps

And what's wrong with drummers!!? Are you suggesting they're all brain dead?

The man needs to practise . . . cut him some slack. He's learning his craft - no doubt with great ideas and ready to take on take on the world . . . . .
    All the world's a stage and we are merely players . . . . .
    For more visit: http://www.studiograff-photo.co.uk

exactly deemac - everyone needs a place to practice...

although i'm actually thinkin about goin an given the auld mannie next door a mouthful cos his constant gardening is hurtin my eyes...
    "you know and i know that we talk in circles most times"

Why not use a practice pad setup, or virtual drum kit. Then you can practice for hours without the risk of aggravating anyone, or being busted by the cops.
    Asinus asinum fricat

Default practice noise (brain dead)

Yup this one is! Typical of some of today's youth - no consideration for others!
    By all means deafen yourself but please consider others - find a field someplace - join the Bettyhill mob!

Yup this one is! Typical of some of today's youth - no consideration for others!
    By all means deafen yourself but please consider others - find a field someplace - join the Bettyhill mob!
    Instead of gurning about it on here. why not knock on your neighbours door and discuss the issue of noise levels with the person playing so loud? most musicians are decent enough to turn it down or play at different times to suit the neighbours ususally.

A bit unfair there, fatmaggie - where does it say that these posters are part of today's youth (what is the cut-off point for a youth nowadays, anyway?)
    And doesn't it swing the other way - Some of today's elders having no consideration for practicing bands!

And as Zebedy has already pointed out, he practices in Tongue. Plenty of fields between houses there and yet he still gets complaints.

I wonder if the sound of a band practising in a garage is any louder than the sound of a lawnmower outside cutting grass. Or the neighbours putting shelves up.

Moncur and the_big_mac have the right idea though. Speaking to the neighbours does help.

Yeah when the big-mac, calum and I started jammin as a 3 piece we played in my brothers terraced house between 6 and 8 at night bout once or twice a week. Usually it was ok but sometimes it clashed with the neighbours time for viewing TV soaps. So they pointed it out to us and we just made sure it was ok with them to practice beforehand.

I personally am considering buying an electric kit to setup in ma room and have much quieter practices, but it is just a distant dream at the moment lol