Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Manson - Tansfield

Default Manson - Tansfield

Magdalene/Madalin Manson c 1782/3, married Peter Innes 1822. I have her marriage and death but cannot find a birth. Her father was William Manson mother Florence/Floras Calder. I cannot find which William is her father as there are quite a few. Would any one have any knowledge of this family?
    Any leads most welcome.
    Cheers
    Rhandy

Rhandy,

Can't help yet anyway, but what's the Tansfield connection?

btw, this might be of some interest -
    http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=25347

James.

Just found this:
    Is this your Peter Innes? -
    3. Peter (twin) born 20 Dec 1755. Just to be different, he became a Captain in the 79th Regiment, and also became Tacksman of Tannach.
    He and Magdalen Manson had 2 illegitimate children, Robert (1804) and Anne (1808), but were eventually married in 1822, just in time for the birth of their third child Margaret. Peter (then aged 67) died soon afterwards, having legitimated his son. He is buried at Old Wick.
    His daughter Anne married James McBeath at Tannach in 1832.
    (from - http://boards.rootsweb.com/surnames.innes/164/mb.ashx)
    Last edited by Kingetter; 10-Aug-07 at 02:03. Reason: Additional information.

"A family tree can wither if nobody tends it's roots"

Default Tansfield

Hi James, not sure about the Tansfield connection. (was new to pc's and deleted the cookies so not sure where i found it) Sounds like a property name. In my research I found Margaret was actually born in 1820. Innes are well documented , but not so the partners of them. Hence my brickwall with Magdalene
    Thank you for the links, will keep ploughing on.
    Cheers
    Rhandy

Hi Rhandy I don't know if its any help at all but there is an old house in Castletown called Tansfield, it may give you an extra help with your search although there may be many more properties with the same name that I am unaware of.Anyway just thought I would let you know about it just incase there is a link there for you x
    The nice thing about living in a small place is that if you dont know what you are doing....there's always somebody who does,or thinks they do! x

oops just realised you had a link to this already...sorry x
    The nice thing about living in a small place is that if you dont know what you are doing....there's always somebody who does,or thinks they do! x

Default Tansfield

Hi Thumper,
    I was starting to suspect the property name as no one could tell me of a town with that name.
    Thanks for the info.
    Cheers
    Rhandy

Hi again Rhandy Tansfield is a large old house just as you drive in to Castletown from the Wick side.It was a doctors house/surgery for sometime but its now just a private dwelling house.Try google/google earth or wikipedia it may help?Have to ask my son when he gets home as he is much more up on technology than I am lol!x

Would a photo of the building be of any value? If no one else is able I might be able to snap it - when I know exactly where it is,

James.

Hi again Rhandy...try this link they might be able to help you castletown.heritage@talk21.com

Thumper,

Could you give me directions on how to get to it, coming from Thurso end? I'd like to try and get some photos.

James.

Hi Kingetter, you drive through Castletown and head out as though going to Wick,pass the primary school and then on the right hand side after the school there is a large cornfield,straight after that there is 2 old houses,Tansfield is the 2nd one(nearest Wick)They are both large houses with walls around them but if I remember correctly Tansfield has a wall with wrought iron work on top whereas the other house doesn't.I think if you look the house actually has the name on the wall somewhere(just a wooden sign I think).Let me know how you get on.Regards,
    Thumper x

Thumper, thanks. I'm recalling an oldish building all boarded up, quite near the wool/craft shop but other side of road. I take it its near there and past the Doctors House when pointing towards Wick?

James.

Hey Kingetter,the doctors house IS Tansfield house so you def won't have any problem finding it now eh? Funny how things get called the doctors hose etc and lose their real name isn't it.Have fun taking the pics!
    regards,
    Thumper x

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    Hey Kingetter,the doctors house IS Tansfield house so you def won't have any problem finding it now eh? Funny how things get called the doctors hose etc and lose their real name isn't it.Have fun taking the pics!
    regards,
    Thumper x

That's funny eh? Great news - I'll be out as soon as I'm able - trapped nerves in my neck right now so no driving etc but then the house isn't going anywhere either, is it?
    Next visit to the Garden Centre can be combined probably.
    So, is there anything else much about the history of the place?

The 'boarded up place must have some history attached to it eh?
    James.

Kingetter,which boarded up place do you mean?The is the old traill hall which is on the right as you head to wick or the old church on the left just past it.The Traill Hall was gifted to the people of castletown by Elizabeth Traill,it was used up until the 70's as a library(I Think) but then it was just used as a store for Norfrost.It is SO sad to see it just being wasted like that!If I won the lottery it would be the first place I would try to buy and do up.The old church hasn't been used for years and was up for sale a couple of years ago but I don't know if anyone bought it or not.There are lovely paintings inside it done by soldiers and I think POW's in WW2 (I remember seeing them when I lived near there as a child and snuck inside lol).It would be amazing if both of those buildings were renovated and used as they both deserve more than to just lie there unused Anyway hope the neck etc gets better soon and happy snapping!
    Thumper x

I best take a few pics of all the surrounding buildings - now I'm getting confused again -

James.

Ooops sorry Kingetter thats probably my fault!Re-read your post and the one right beside the wool/quilting shop is the old church and the one oppiste it and a wee bit further up is the old Traill Hall
    Thumper x

Cheers - I'll find it or send you a postcard

Better late than never.

More to follow.

More ....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast