Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Manson - Tansfield

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Manson - Tansfield

Magdalene/Madalin Manson c 1782/3, married Peter Innes 1822. I have her marriage and death but cannot find a birth. Her father was William Manson mother Florence/Floras Calder. I cannot find which William is her father as there are quite a few. Would any one have any knowledge of this family?
    Any leads most welcome.
    Cheers
    Rhandy

Rhandy,

Can't help yet anyway, but what's the Tansfield connection?

btw, this might be of some interest -
    http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=25347

James.

Just found this:
    Is this your Peter Innes? -
    3. Peter (twin) born 20 Dec 1755. Just to be different, he became a Captain in the 79th Regiment, and also became Tacksman of Tannach.
    He and Magdalen Manson had 2 illegitimate children, Robert (1804) and Anne (1808), but were eventually married in 1822, just in time for the birth of their third child Margaret. Peter (then aged 67) died soon afterwards, having legitimated his son. He is buried at Old Wick.
    His daughter Anne married James McBeath at Tannach in 1832.
    (from - http://boards.rootsweb.com/surnames.innes/164/mb.ashx)
    Last edited by Kingetter; 10-Aug-07 at 02:03. Reason: Additional information.

"A family tree can wither if nobody tends it's roots"

Default Tansfield

Hi James, not sure about the Tansfield connection. (was new to pc's and deleted the cookies so not sure where i found it) Sounds like a property name. In my research I found Margaret was actually born in 1820. Innes are well documented , but not so the partners of them. Hence my brickwall with Magdalene
    Thank you for the links, will keep ploughing on.
    Cheers
    Rhandy

Hi Rhandy I don't know if its any help at all but there is an old house in Castletown called Tansfield, it may give you an extra help with your search although there may be many more properties with the same name that I am unaware of.Anyway just thought I would let you know about it just incase there is a link there for you x
    The nice thing about living in a small place is that if you dont know what you are doing....there's always somebody who does,or thinks they do! x

oops just realised you had a link to this already...sorry x
    The nice thing about living in a small place is that if you dont know what you are doing....there's always somebody who does,or thinks they do! x

Default Tansfield

Hi Thumper,
    I was starting to suspect the property name as no one could tell me of a town with that name.
    Thanks for the info.
    Cheers
    Rhandy

Default Tansfield

Lazy Sunday afternoon, sitting reading an old Edinburgh Magazine c. 1970 and this story caught my eye.........

'' Memories of Caithness'' by W.A. A.

Reminiscing is an indulgence but it is hoped that these early memories may be of interest to others.

I was born in Wick but my mother flitted to Castletown when my father a doctor, died of typhus fever contracted from a foreign ship in the harbour.I was the eldest of three and the year was 1894. These recollections derive from a stay of some two years at that time and subsequent holidays in the village.

We lived at Tansfield next the doctor who was Forsyth by name and married soon after our arrival. I was pleased to meet his son, an ex-service medical student at Edinburgh, after the First World War. There was a large rookery opposite the house which had a fascination for me and a poor joke was that there was a fellow-feeling as my mother was one of a big family of Crowes !

end of quote.

trinkie

Quote Originally Posted by trinkie View Post
    Lazy Sunday afternoon, sitting reading an old Edinburgh Magazine c. 1970 and this story caught my eye.........

'' Memories of Caithness'' by W.A. A.

Reminiscing is an indulgence but it is hoped that these early memories may be of interest to others.

I was born in Wick but my mother flitted to Castletown when my father a doctor, died of typhus fever contracted from a foreign ship in the harbour.I was the eldest of three and the year was 1894. These recollections derive from a stay of some two years at that time and subsequent holidays in the village.

We lived at Tansfield next the doctor who was Forsyth by name and married soon after our arrival. I was pleased to meet his son, an ex-service medical student at Edinburgh, after the First World War. There was a large rookery opposite the house which had a fascination for me and a poor joke was that there was a fellow-feeling as my mother was one of a big family of Crowes !

end of quote.

trinkie
    Trinkie, fascinating and, what timing eh? However, for me, it raises more questions.
    1) Who is living in Tansfield?
    2) Who is W.A.A. ?
    3) Are we sure Tansfield was the 'Doctor's House'? Is that something more recent? Is it coincidence that a Doctor lived next door? The house next door (or one I photographed) is smaller than Tansfield so I'm wondering if it was only a Doctors home?

Thumper - where are you?

James.

Default manson -tansfield

Also, give me some directions to the Olrig place and, if I'm able to, I'll try and get pics - no promises mind.

I think you mean 'the lodge' It was renovated several years ago, but still retains some of its character. ie window in the corner and a round window in the side.

Tansfield is a few hundred yards past Castletown School, on the road to Wick. The doctors house is the second one of the big old houses. The doctors practised in this house for many years, until the new surgery was built in the Back Street, near Icetech.

Sorry Kingetter I jsut didn't notice your reply! I haven't left you honest Scunner has given you the right directions for the "liqourice hoosie" as I fondly called it,I used to play in it as a child-which was madness as the floors were all rotted away!RE Tansfield, I have heard that that whole area was reffered to as Tansfield long ago but I am unsure as to how accurate that info is...........x

I don't know who's my Shepherd
    That leads me astray
    Up garden paths and elsewhere
    For I started with Tansfield
    & I found Hayfield House
    Only it wasn't there
    Now in my quest I've 'the lodge' to locate
    Is that the Wick side of Tansfield?
    I'm really quite lost.
    So back I must go and look once again
    And soon or else senility will have claimed me for sure.

Default Tansfield - CASTLETOWN.

Hallo again,

I have found a beautiful photo of Tansfield House with Dr R M MacLennan, his family and car. C 1904

If you would like a copy of the picture please PM me.

Trinkie

Re: "photo of Tansfield House with Dr R M MacLennan, his family and car. C 1904"

Yes please. Though not my own research line, I spent so much time 'at the property' and pass it quite often.

If you wish to email, you'd need to pm me for address - you have your pms blocked so I cannot pm you.

Very many thanks.

James.

Default Tansfield

Hallo Kingetter,

Blast - I do have the PMs stopped just now, but the photo has been sent to another orger, and hopefully it will reach you eventually.

Happy New Year

Trinkie

Default Who is WAA?

Just to confirm previous suggestions as to the identity of WAA - he was William Alister Alexander. William was born in Wick, 1890, the son of Dr Alex Alexander. The family later moved to Howe Street, Edinburgh. William was also a doctor, graduating from Edinburgh University in 1912. His mother's maiden name was Crowe, hence the reference to crows! Hope this helps.