Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ebay scams?

Default Ebay scams?

How does the ebay scam work? My girl friend just sold her mobile on ebay. She just got the following email

Am the winning buyer of your ebay item,i want to know the condition of the item because i want it send to my pastor son in NIGERIA. Am on missionary assignment to 5EUROPEAN countries and which i will return to UK in a month time and i have confirm the shipping via royalmail internationaly sign for is 30.00GBP.I will effect payment via PAYPAL.Immediately you receive payment notification from paypal get it posted to this address below:
    NAME: CHRISTOPHER TOBI ADEOLA
    ADDRESS: 29,ZENITH STREET IKEJA
    CITY: LAGOS STATE,
    CODE: 23401
    If he pays her by paypal what can happen?

Thanks in advance

Martin

Tell her not to go through with the sale as that's quite blatently a scam

Yeah I know it's a scam bud but I'm just wondering what happens?

Quote Originally Posted by *Martin* View Post
    How does the ebay scam work? My girl friend just sold her mobile on ebay. She just got the following email

Thanks in advance

Martin
    First thing is that it is up to the buyer to find out the condition of the item BEFORE making the purchase. It is also the seller who decides what the postage charge is, NOT the buyer.

Once the Paypal payment is made you can send the item but make sure you get a proof of posting certificate at the very least. If you are sending the item insured then you can make a claim and refund the buyer if the item gets lost.

The worst case scenario would be the buyer making a claim to Paypal that you did not send the item. In this instance you MUST reply to Paypal and/or ebay as they will resolve the case in the complainant's favour in instances where there is no response from the seller.

In no event should you send the item without the payment safely in hand. Good luck!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeid View Post
    Tell her not to go through with the sale as that's quite blatently a scam
    It is not a scam if payment is made via Paypal.

It is a scam

My daughter sold her mobile on ebay and got exactly the same email, but they said they would post a cheque, it was ready for shipment

So she posted the phone which was stupid i know, but she never ever saw her phone again or received a cheque!!!

This was in feb this year, she was going to deal with this through royal mail as she has paid the extra postage for if it goes missing, but at the time she was due to have her twins, so that was the end of that, nothing done since

We bought a mobile off ebay it was over £100 and the guy wanted cash, which we sent recorded and he did recieve it but we never received the phone, there was nothing ebay could do only we had to open a dispute which we did, but it never helped, the guy replied, full of excuses and said we could get our money back, but we never received it and he is no longer registered

I always read feedback now, it helps

DONOT post your phone

Blackpool today..... who knows where tomorrow!

Thanks in advance

Martin

For a start, if he pays her by Paypal, the payment will be a false one, or he will retract the payment once he thinks the item has been posted.
    Tell your girlfriend to refuse the payment on the Paypal site, report the buyer to Ebay & Paypal & re-list the item, stressing that only UK buyers can bid.
    It's a shame that people try & scam this way, but I guess that's just the way of the world right now
    Julie
    I wish I'd picked more daisies.........(anon)

thats awful

i thought ebay was safe, obviously not!
    ELVIS ISN'T DEAD I HEARD HIM ON THE RADIO

There is a section in "My Ebay" that is called Safety Centre. You can report problems from there if you have any queries with anything. I presume that includes people who you think are dodgy.

I would ask the advice of ebay. They helped me with something a while ago and gave me good advice. Although if he pays by paypal and you keep a record of the communication I don't think anything can happen........ - can it??

Blackpool today..... who knows where tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by scorrie View Post
    It is not a scam if payment is made via Paypal.
    Yes it IS Scorrie... if you make a payment thru Paypal, you can actually stop the payment - especially if it hasn't cleared through into the other persons bank - and sometimes the scammers aren't using their own accounts either!
    I wish I'd picked more daisies.........(anon)

I would have no dealings with anything from Nigeria.
    Please do not fall into this trap.

Ignore e.mails from Nigeria.

This is quite a well known scam on Ebay but unfortunately they seem to target people who maybe don't have a high feedback or haven't bought or sold anything for a while. So many people have been ripped of by this scam which is why a lot of people will only ship high value items within the UK. I believe this one works by somehow re-calling the Pay Pal payment or sending it from a false account. Be very cautious i had my credit card details stolen via Pay Pal.

Angry scams been there!!

if someone claims the money back through paypal, the only way you can prove you posted and they received is recorded and traceable online! the first class proof of postage means nothing to paypal, it happened to me, they even left positive feedback and i left the same, as i thought transaction complete! they had the item i had the money. not to be, they claimed they never received the item, still had the proof of postage and all the emails from the person, got nowhere with paypal, so ended up out of pocket, not only by the item, but the listing and selling fee and the £10 P&P

i wouldn't chance it! you often see NO BIDDERS FROM NIGERIA on listing, so have the been scamed before!

They will scam you anywhere, I personally and many other rabbit breeders regularly get emails from nigeria, saudi arabia, south african government and lots of amazing places wanting to buy our stock to introduce new bloodlines to their countries, they sound very knowledgeable and they know all about how they are to be sent etc but we just delete the mails as it is so obviously a scam.

We have offered it to the second highest bidder.

Thanks everyone

Thanks in advance

Martin
    If you notice, he doesn't actually say what item he has bought; that's a good sign that it is a scam! Some people deal a lot with ebay and can easily fall for it.

I've had many emails saying that they are going to report me to ebay, the police etc., because I haven't sent them the item they bought etc., or paid for the item they sent me and I don't even deal with ebay!

sold a few things myself on ebay and i always put on it uk bidders only. def wouldnt touch anyone in nigeria with a barge pole.
    no amount of darkness can drive out darkness
    only light can do that.

Yeah I know it's a scam bud but I'm just wondering what happens?
    no money ever arrives in paypal, its just a scam to get personal information, there is no item and its all imaginary. they are looking for addresses and phone numbers.

Default Another Ebay scam

Hi All,

Was looking for a small boat for sea angling and noticed one in Inverness, there wasn't much detail so i emailed the guy. Next day it got pulled from ebay and the ID became non-existant. I've pasted in the emails below to show how easy it is for somebody to be conned! (i wasn't!)

Sent: 31 July 2007 18:09
    To: me@

Subject: Re: Wilson Flyer 17ft Fishing Boat Cathederal Hull

Hi ,

I still have the boat .My asking price is £1800 including delivery .

If you are still interested please let me know.:

Robert

"Me" <me@> wrote:
    Hi Robert,

Have you got more details, age, history, photos etc. I note that the auction was ‘pulled’ any particular reason?

I’m interested, is it possible to view? I am based in Thurso, Caithness and can pop down. If all is ok I can purchase immediately.

Regards

Me

Sent: 01 August 2007 12:55
    Subject: RE: Wilson Flyer 17ft Fishing Boat Cathederal Hull

Hi,

It has been withdrawn from ebay because I have some problems with my credit card .I will fix it asap .

I bought the boat in March 2000.I am the only owner .The boat is in excellent condition.IF FOR ANY REASON YOU ARE NOT SATISFIED WITH THE PURCHASE OF THIS BOAT YOU MAY RETURN IT WITHIN TEN DAYS OF RECEIVING IT .

The price is £1800 including shipping .To end our transaction I will contact eBay to setup a guaranteed and protected transaction .They will send you an e-mail regarding how will be complet this transaction in safe mode.

Let me know and we have a deal.

Pictures:

Robert

"Me<me@> wrote:
    Hi Robert,

I am definitely interested, the boat looks in very good order. It is seaworthy immediately I trust?

I would very much like to personally inspect and cash payment possible, is this a problem?

I hope you are understanding and are not put off by this.

Regards
    Me

Robert Godwin [mailto:godwin322@yahoo.co.uk]

Sent: 03 August 2007 15:23
    Hi,

I will only deliver the boat because now I am away on business .My cousin will make the delivery for me .

Let me know .

Robert

Sent: 03 August 2007 16:43[/font]
    To: 'Robert Godwin'

I'm sorry due to the risk i will not purchase without viewing. Is your cousin of nigerian descent as i have had many problems dealing with him in the past?

Needless to say i've not heard a thing back, I would have loved to have seen his face. I'd imagine it would be a bit like having a 30lb salmon on the end of the line. 'I've got him, i've got him, i've got him, i've lost him!'

PS I would never purchase something of that value over ebay without a viewing!
    Last edited by webmannie; 09-Aug-07 at 17:39.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast