Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: DIY Soundproofing

Default DIY Soundproofing

just wondering if anybody knows how to soundproof a room without spending loads...
    EG can you use eggboxes? any other suggestions would be handy

Quote Originally Posted by colin stoner View Post
    just wondering if anybody knows how to soundproof a room without spending loads...
    EG can you use eggboxes? any other suggestions would be handy
    Egg boxes don't work at all.
    In the image of God? You must be joking!

I think it depends on where your band has to practice.

Jamming in a garage is the usual place for most people but because garage doors are thin and made of metal, they aint very soundproof.

I take it your amps and PA need to be loud to compete with the drummers volume? Instead of trying to soundproof an entire room, why not try to dampen the volume of the drummer so that you can practice at a lower volume overall?

Im sure theres special foam pads you can buy off the internet for cymbals and drums that do this. Or try make your own pads? I think my drummer (Duress) made his own at one point.

Or if a flash so-and-so, buy the drummer an electric kit. It saves space and you can practice at any volume you want!

Quote Originally Posted by moncur View Post
    I think it depends on where your band has to practice.

Jamming in a garage is the usual place for most people but because garage doors are thin and made of metal, they aint very soundproof.

I take it your amps and PA need to be loud to compete with the drummers volume? Instead of trying to soundproof an entire room, why not try to dampen the volume of the drummer so that you can practice at a lower volume overall?

Im sure theres special foam pads you can buy off the internet for cymbals and drums that do this. Or try make your own pads? I think my drummer (Duress) made his own at one point.

Or if a flash so-and-so, buy the drummer an electric kit. It saves space and you can practice at any volume you want!
    Sacrilege!

How big is the room? And whats the floor made of?
    All the world's a stage and we are merely players . . . . .
    For more visit: http://www.studiograff-photo.co.uk

If its a small room, hang blankets, duvets or even rugs from the walls and make sure you have a good covering on the floor like rugs or thick carpet. If your very adventurous and your room is made of plasterboard, remove all the plasterboard and fit thick polystyrene sheeting or foam rubber between all the joists and put new plasterboard up. Agree with comments on drums, just for practice purposes, stuff pilows in the bass drum and dampen the heads on toms etc so you all play at a slightly lower level.

aye its quite a small room with thick carpet
    its got a drum kit and guitar+amp in it so it gets pretty noisy when played at the same time so could you just hang duvets or sheets from the ceiling to cover the walls?

Wasting your time and money unless you can add mass to the structure of the room. The bass and other low frequencies will simply pass through the walls and floors unless they are heavy enough to dampen the waves.
    The Big Man

Default a soundproofing link

http://www.petethomas.co.uk/home-soundproofing.html
    Lots of info on this site for allsorts esp. Sax playing, arranging etc, etc.
    Worth a look.