Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hayseed Dixie - Skinandi's 23/08/07

You got me, Jeid.

Nothing more than the hearsay of the board.

Right... 150 people in on a Saturday night?(Apparently the place would've usually been a lot busier) I'm pretty sure that was the exact same amount of people that went along to see Hayseed Dixie on a Thursday night. I don't get how that equates to "better support" exactly. But good oh... I'm sure Hayseed Dixie will go down a treat.

by 1 o clock I'd say there was considerably more than 150 people in the place. I'm not to sure of numbers but I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to find out
    In the image of God? You must be joking!

in a house wi lights, but it is a light house

Quote Originally Posted by Gleber2 View Post
    by 1 o clock I'd say there was considerably more than 150 people in the place. I'm not to sure of numbers but I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to find out
    .....................................that should've been me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My bad, I was in a rush, I was supposed to write 150-200. However, I wasn't there. Just going from info I was given from Mr AstroHogg

in a house wi lights, but it is a light house

'preparing for correction'

I don't think astrohogg & co. stayed till the end of the J-jets show & the place went mental between 1 & 2

I thought the waterfront would have followed suit with skins & had a 12 cut off time for getting in but alas it's 1.

maybe it just seemed more at the time but by the time J-jets had come off it felt more like 350-400 people

We left ten mins from the end of their set. Know a fair few folk who regularly go to the Waterfront and apparently there were less folk there than there usually is on a Saturday night. I'm not going to down what this guy is doing cos at least he's trying to start something but you know yourself Chobbers, there's a lot to do before this thing runs smoothly.

The £10 ticket fee was a bit silly for two local bands and a signed but yet uncharted act. And it's not like we can blame the fee on the fact that they had a long way to travel...! We played in the Ironworks with a band called "The Ads" from Glasgow in August. Signed to King Tuts records, radio one airplay, T in the Park appearance, slot at Connect Festival etc etc. £6 entry fee!

What's the use in 350-400 folk being there by the time they had come off? If the fee had been a little less and it had been more heavily advertised then maybe there would've been 350-400 folk while they were on. The first poster I saw for the gig was when I walked into the Waterfront on Saturday night, and I work in Wick!

I appreciate this was his first attempt at running a band night but I would say there is a hell of a lot to do before Hayseed Dixie arrive in March.

Quote Originally Posted by Chobbersjnr View Post
    'preparing for correction'

I don't think astrohogg & co. stayed till the end of the J-jets show & the place went mental between 1 & 2

I thought the waterfront would have followed suit with skins & had a 12 cut off time for getting in but alas it's 1.

maybe it just seemed more at the time but by the time J-jets had come off it felt more like 350-400 people
    Yeah, but that's by the time they came off, your own words. There were two other bands on before that... where was the 350-400 people then?

In all honesty, I've heard of the JJ's, I've heard their songs, I like live music, I like seeing bands. £10 put me off. £6-£7... I probably would've went. I'd get in and get a pint for under a tenner. If we put that into context and think of all the people who haven't heard of the JJ's, who haven't heard their songs, who ain't really bothered about seeing live bands... then £10 is a touch steep. How much is it to get into the Waterfront on a normal Saturday night?

The question also has to be asked... how many people would've turned up, if the gig was on in the earlier part of the evening when the bands were the main attraction... not the bar?

Despite my seemingly negative comments, I'd actually be delighted for the Waterfront to have a good regular music night. A good in house PA might be a good start

At the end of the day, it was only a £1 more to see JJ in Wick that it was in Edinburgh. The standard of living is so much higher in Caithness than it is practically anywhere else in Scotland, am sure those with an interest in supporting live music - most of whom are probably still living with their parents if JJ's target audience is to be pin-pointed - could afford an extra quid on the door tax. The difference in price is not even the price of a third of a pint. Could no-one give up one dram less? Probably not.

I disagree Pepsi. Ok, so quality of living is higher and therefore we should all have more cash lying around than your average 18-30 year old in Edinburgh but i'm afraid that doesn't mean folk are going to pay £10 to see a band they've never heard of or know nothing about. This goes hand in hand with the advertising. I've said this hundreds and hundreds of times. Advertising and selling the band is hugely important. It's not difficult to do, you know that. There are plenty outlets in Caithness available for advertising and if folk had seen the advertising and seen that this band had supported acts like the Kaiser Chiefs and Richard Ashcroft then it's more than possible that you would be right and they would've paid the fee.

I'm all for supporting live music in Caithness. I've brought bands up and know the difficulties of getting a crowd but all i'm saying is, if you're going to charge £10, at least make it attractive so folk will part with that £10.

Johnny and Isaac host nights at the Lighthouse as you know and as far as i'm aware, never struggle to get a crowd for a reasonable door fee but that's only because they actually try to sell the act they're promoting.

The manager of the Waterfront told me that there were at least 350-400 in for Saturday night. More, he assures me, than have been coming to the disco in recent months. Nobody complained about a £10 ticket. £7 for a disco or £10 for three bands. I think the latter a fair price whether the band is known or not.
    As far as our concerts are concerned, the crowd is limited and a lot of our appeal is the fact that there are no drunks and everyone is there to enjoy good music in a silent, attentive atmosphere. It is relatively easy for us to attract the size of crowd I can accomodate without advertising. The are people who have never missed a night in 21 over three years. Some of our artists are internationally famous and indeed legendary while some are relatively unknown. Makes little difference to our numbers.

What the Gleeber said, bossman.

Aye, but according to your son, 350-400 folk was at the end of the Jyrojets set. Look, i'm not wanting an orgument and i'm not trying to down the thing as it can only be good for local music and a local scene however, you can't disagree that it was advertised poorly. I have seen you advertise your nights, even if it's just a post on the Org. It does help and you sell the artist, you tell folk who he's played with, where he's played, what he's done which therefore attracts folk to the event.

All i'm doing is giving my opinion on how it can be improved. Hayseed Dixie is being promoted by Regular Music, one of the biggest promotion agencies in Scotland so we'll know then jusy how attractive live music is in Wick. If THEY can't sell an internationally touring band to Wick then who can.

Quote Originally Posted by theboss View Post
    Aye, but according to your son, 350-400 folk was at the end of the Jyrojets set. Look, i'm not wanting an orgument and i'm not trying to down the thing as it can only be good for local music and a local scene however, you can't disagree that it was advertised poorly. I have seen you advertise your nights, even if it's just a post on the Org. It does help and you sell the artist, you tell folk who he's played with, where he's played, what he's done which therefore attracts folk to the event.

All i'm doing is giving my opinion on how it can be improved. Hayseed Dixie is being promoted by Regular Music, one of the biggest promotion agencies in Scotland so we'll know then jusy how attractive live music is in Wick. If THEY can't sell an internationally touring band to Wick then who can.
    My opinion does not need to be an argument. There was a post on this forum, adverts in the Groat and some posters arround Wick and the crowd, according to Robert Sutherland, was up on the usual. He is very pleased with the response and will be continuing the experiment.
    As far as PA is concerned, Dave, who used to own the Invershin Hotel will be supplying a rig at all future gigs. He can put on 10k plus of Mackie and Sampson PA.
    The problem with getting name bands up to Wick is the price.
    When a band demands a four figure fee AND 80% of the door it is not financially feasable to book big names. If the audience supports the affordable acts then perhaps we can expect bigger, more expensive acts in the future.
    Regular music is already in the loop and Robert would be very pleased to talk to anyone who can offer constuctive advice and possible contacts for the future.
    BTW, I have not posted on the forum for my own concerts for quite some time except for this one next Saturday. We have the only Caithness rock musician to play the Albert Hall( with George Harrison on stage for a song).
    Last edited by Gleber2; 27-Nov-07 at 19:04.

Surely the Courier/ Groat should be helping spread the word, giving coverage to a signed band who, as Bossman says, have signed a record deal and are supporting big commercial names? Surely that's news? If the paper - who are the county's eyes and ears, too - was genuinely interested in supporting live music, they would dedicate more column inches. Wouldn't they?

Quote Originally Posted by The Pepsi Challenge View Post
    Surely the Courier/ Groat should be helping spread the word, giving coverage to a signed band who, as Bossman says, have signed a record deal and are supporting big commercial names? Surely that's news? If the paper - who are the county's eyes and ears, too - was genuinely interested in supporting live music, they would dedicate more column inches. Wouldn't they?
    There was an article in the Groat.

Excellent. Everyone is doing their bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Chobbersjnr View Post
    Just to be picky... can someone clear this point up for me, how many people were IN the place when the JJ's were ON stage? Roughly?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeid View Post
    Just to be picky... can someone clear this point up for me, how many people were IN the place when the JJ's were ON stage? Roughly?
    I'd venture a guess at about 300, hard to tell really but people were saying its the busiest theyv seen the place in years except for gala nights.

Right. Someone said to theboss' wee brother that the place is usually a lot busier. Hence the confusion.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123