Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: 'Mind Your Own Business!'

Default 'Mind Your Own Business!'

I'd like to get a pot of the houseplant Soleirolia soleirolii. Another more common name is 'Baby's Tears'. Would any Garden Centre Wick/Thurso general area have this does anyone know?
    This is for an elderly neighbour.
    Answers on something larger than a postage stamp please

Thanks,

James.

PS - Looks like this -

Last edited by Kingetter; 01-Aug-07 at 20:04. Reason: Additional info. and pic.

"A family tree can wither if nobody tends it's roots"

I had a look round Thurso today but couldn't see any. It's a lovely plant, lots of them together make a lovely carpet. I'm pretty sure Homebase don't have it either. Maybe Castletown or Shinvall?

Thanks sweetpea, I tried Homebase. Have since heard there's another centre in Wick but not sure where yet. Where's Shinvall?

James.

Shinvall is out at Glengolly, about a mile up the road past the houses. I'm not sure if Pulteneytown Centre is still open or not in Wick, might be worth a look? good luck finding it!

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea View Post
    Shinvall is out at Glengolly, about a mile up the road past the houses. I'm not sure if Pulteneytown Centre is still open or not in Wick, might be worth a look? good luck finding it!
    Cheers. I'd tried Castletown as well. Where's Pulteneytown Centre supposed to be then? I believe they have a sale on.

It's Old Wick Road, entrance is in between council houses opposite the playing fields of south school. Sorry but my directions are hopeless. There is a sign though. It's as if your going towards Kennedy and Cairndhuna.

Thanks very much for that. I'll need to get the horse and buggy out and head for the 'bright city lights' on my quest

Kingetter, if you know anyone who has Baby Tears, it's quite easy to start. Just dig up a small plug and plant it where ever you like, pot or ground. Keep it moist and it won't even hiccup.

Thanks sassylass. Unfortunately, I don't know anyone who has it, and, the plant is for an elderly neighbour who has no garden - it will need to remain as a pot plant I'm afraid. I'm hoping I might get a chance when at Sandside House on Sunday - lot of plants there and just maybe someone might be generous enough to let me have a wee cutting - if they have it.

Thanks,

James.

Blackpool today..... who knows where tomorrow!

Aaahh..... I might be able to help you here, Kingetter....
    They have quite a bit of this in our local garden centres - it's popular here, so.....

When we come up in a coupla weeks, I'll bring you 2 or 3 pots or more - can you wait that long? Let me know & I'll pop it on my list of things to do!
    Julie.
    I wish I'd picked more daisies.........(anon)

Quote Originally Posted by jsherris View Post
    Aaahh..... I might be able to help you here, Kingetter....
    They have quite a bit of this in our local garden centres - it's popular here, so.....

When we come up in a coupla weeks, I'll bring you 2 or 3 pots or more - can you wait that long? Let me know & I'll pop it on my list of things to do!
    Julie.

Thanks Julie.

I'll let you know about that - on Sunday I'm going to Sandside House where they have a great garden - might beg a piece there. Heading for Inverness next week - might find some there. If all else fails, I'll let you know.

Thanks again,

James.

In Norway, its called Husfred, means House-Peace, a very popular houseplant. I dont have a garden anymore and this plant is a real winner indoors. You'll need more than a wee cutting, its best if you can dig up a small bit, soil, roots and all.

Seems like a 'universal' plant then. I might just think about some for myself as well as for my neighbour.

James.

Thanks to Howdens in Inverness I got some so my quest is over.

Thanks,

James.