Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Driving Instructor Re-locating from Lincolnshire

Default Driving Instructor Re-locating from Lincolnshire

Can anyone help?

In the next few weeks I'm re-locating to Caithness. I'm a driving instructor and artist and have no clue as what the driving school business is like in Caithness, how much current driving instructors charge per lesson or if there is any need for another instructor in the area. I've noticed that most of the instructors in the are don't have web sites or email addys so information not freely available.
    I though I'd ask you all on here before I started calling the local schools directly....can anyone help?

Sketch

Well, I'm no expert - but I think there's a fair demand at the moment. Seems to be a bit of a waiting list to get driving lessons I've heard.

Default thanks for that luskentyre

Feeling a little re-assured already.

about £22 a lesson, my friend was taking lessons but unfortunately her instructor has had to give up the job, so there is a gap there and my friend also found it difficult to get another instructor. Theres always people learning or wanting to, and looking for a good instructor!
    Hope this helps and good luck if u start up in caithness!

a definate demand - there is a waiting list of about 3 months at the moment - lessons £20 in Thurso

Default caithnessgirl and jay

Caithnessgirl and Jay!

Thanks guys!

With the responce i've had so far, both on and off the message board, you will have another driving school soon. approx 6 weeks or so. Where I'm going to be situated I'm hoping to cover both Thurso and Wick.

Many many thanks, your responces have filled me reassurance!

Thanks again!

Graham (Sketch)

Sketch,
    One things for sure - you'll always have new customers, unless the price of fuel in the far north forces everyone off the road.
    Good Luck!!!

Thank you MadPict!

Yeah it is a little worrying about the fuel cost......perhaps I'll teach in a cinlaire c5!

Dual fuel makes things a little cheeper though....horse power and peddle power!

Well, LPG is still pretty affordable - the nearest LPG station to Wick last time I was north was at Brora. Now if you got a tank in your back garden and had bulk LPG delivery you could probably run a business under the competition if they rely on petrol or diesel!!!!

Thanks for the tip MadPict.....worth concidering.

From one self-employed businessman to another I wish you the best of luck with your new venture in Caithness. Having moved from Lincs to Caithness (albeit via Sheffield) I can tell you you are moving to a much nicer place.

Default Thank you

Thank you for your kind words, Bobinovich.

I couldn't agree with you more. Look forward to seeing you on the road soon...

Very appreciative fellow businessman

not another one coming up,thinking they're going to set up in business make a fortune,pack it in when they don't and then come up with some other hair brained scheme.
    A new broom sweeps clean,but a old one knows all the corners!

jacktar,
    Please don't knock those who wish to move into a county which needs new life - if it was left to some people Caithness would just become a planting ground for the sodding wind turbines - first it was planting fir trees everywhere now they want to destroy one of the last places of natural beauty with 30m high metal monstrosities..............

I don't normally spend time responding to comments like yours but in your case, Jacktar I'll spare you a little of my time......

No, not another one but there are eight of us and we don't want nor need to get ritch. We are moving to settle in to what is a beatuiful country with great people just like you Jacktar.
    I can understand your pessimism. I dare say there have been many over the years who have done just that, rushed in with the hope of making a fast buck then left because they couldn't feed their need or greed.
    The 'hair brain' scheme, as you put it, we don't have one but we did it may well be of some benefit to you and many others in the years to come. I'm only one of the eight who will be using his or her skills to help maintain a normal standard of living...you are privileged to live in such surroundings...and we feel privileged to be a part of it. Not to take over or run any part of it with any 'scheme'. I would like to think that we will be contributing to the area and people like you who live in the area. If it doesn't work, as you say, then it's tough on our part if it doesn't because we are staying.....through thick or thin.

I and we hope to make friends not enemies.

Hope we can one day Jacktar.

As we would welcome you we hope you will welcome us as friends

Thank you for your comments though.

Graham.
    Hopefully one of your first customers will be jacktar and you will teach him them to drive, so they can abandon Caithness for the ratrace that is the south....

....then watch as they come back in a few years time

Graham

Your initial reaction not to bother replying to Jacktar would have been the right one - you are wasting your time. There is usually a nasty, negative poster on every Message Board. Unfortunately, here, recently, there seems to be one on every topic thread.

Best of luck with your move & new business venture here in Caithness. You shouldn't have too much difficulty spotting Jacktar whose location is stated to be "Roondaboot" . There are not too many "roondaboots" in Caithness. There was a thread on here not long ago debating who had the right of way at a roondaboot (no apologies for the spelling - you'll have to get used to the accent here!) Maybe Jacktar was one of the folk not sure how to negotiate one and he/she is stuck there - hope you can use your professional skills to help him/her move on.

Good luck & welcome to Caithness

Hi Graham, Please dont pay any attention to the negativivty about this county, Wish you and your family all the best in settling in to Caithness.

Hi there Sketch. Just wondering if you've moved yet and if so how are you enjoying things?

Sketch

When you get settled and are ready to start up the driving school business don't forget to advertise on Caithness.Org. Its a great web site and the best way to get the news out about a new business. Hope to see your cars in Wick soon. I'm sure you'll like it here. I came to Wick over 30 years ago and i wouldn't live South again. Great place & great people to go with it.
    To stay young live honestly, eat slowly and lie about your age.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast