Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The most unpleasant person in Caithness

Quote Originally Posted by northener View Post
    Right, let us get the facts straight.

The sign is NOTHING to do with the Lands End & John O'Groats Company - in other words the JOG Hotel and the Last House Shop and Museum.

It is NOTHING to do with any one who is based in John O'Groats, not the 'visitor centre' (as quoted in an early post - where's that then?), the Tourist Info, the ferry, Kev, Alistair or Dave's creel boats, the snack bar, the First and Last, the Seaview, Walter, Northcoast Marine Adventures, the campsite, Squawky the Black headed gull or the Radical Islamic Army of Tourist Traps.

John O'Groats is NEVER referred to as the Most Northerly Point by the two shops at the harbour, at least. They always tell people that Dunnet Head holds that honour, JOG is, traditionally, the furthest point by road from Lands End.

When you lot get down off your self-righteous, misinformed and 'enraged' high horses and actually start coming up with facts plus constructive view points, you'll be getting somewhere.

I think Neeps pointed out that the sign was taken down when the photographer wasn't there beacause it was vandalised on one occasion and stolen on another. Certainly I know that prior to these incidents,the people who run the sign were always happy to leave the sign out when the photographer wasn't there so tourists could take their photos'.

As for being miserable, I've seen first hand the guys (there's more than one photographer, but I bet most of you planks never even knew that) working on a regular basis and, on the whole, they seem to be fine with people. Bear in mind the amount of End to Enders they see every day, it's pretty hard to break out into spontentaneous and ecstatic applause every couple of hours.....

Whats up, do you lot have such perfect lives that you never have an off day?

You want to hear the way a (thankfully) small minority of tourists talk to people who work in places like Groats. They literally treat you like something they've trodden in, then you might actually realise it's a harder job than it looks.
    How many of you would last more than a couple of days in a job like that?

Get a grip you narrow-minded idiotic bunch of sheep!
    TUBE

Is the word you are looking for, not plank.

[quote=neepnipper;248207]Sorry if I misinformed, I used to work at the Last House and that's what I was told

Who by?

Bekisman, well sourced! The 'alternative' sign was put up by Walter after the repeated vandalism of the main sign. Nice to see someone sourcing facts instead of rabble rousing drivel.

Tugmistress, you really can't see the point, can you?
    It's got nothing to do with the rights and wrongs of what is legal and what is not.

Its about a bunch of nobodys ganging up on some poor sod who is not in a position to defend themself. And PLEASE don't give me any cobblers about that person being free to reply on this site, let's not delude ourselves, the world is NOT our friend...

Frankly, a lot of people who have placed spurious comments on this thread ought to be ashamed of themselves. You are weak and cowardly individuals. You thrive on other peoples misfortunes and have no positive contribution to give whatsoever.
    If you want to look at what is wrong with the community of the world - look in a mirror.

It's not often I get wound up, but by Christ, you lot have really hit the spot on this one.......

Does it matter who told me? I was obviously misinformed, I take it all back, apart from the bit about the sign being stolen and the state of the hotel.

By the way, the staff at the Last House always had a friendly word for end to enders, tourists and locals, that's part of the job when dealing with the general public, sometimes I'd had a lousy day but you still have to smile, be friendly and be interested in people.

well said northener!!

Quote Originally Posted by George Brims View Post
    Actually John grew up in Aberdeen, though his side of the family were in Castletown I believe.
    Sorry George, did not mean to offend. I was just commenting that no one has time to smile or chat to folks today as they used too.

I worked as a photographer at the sign post a few years ago, still have my yellow sweatshirt and i really enjoyed it. there were 3 photographers on different days early morning till late. If end to enders were arriving or setting off we would make sure to be there.The land inside the fence, and the signpost are owned by the company who have the same at Lands end. I was told not to leave the wording on the signpost to stop people taking their own pictures as they would then not pay to have one done.People still took photoes by the sign and this is why the fencing was then put around as it is private property.
    I hope people doing the end to end have put their names in the historical book at John O Groats.It makes interesting reading.
    Live for today as tomorrow may never come

I don't know if my comment is included in the "weak and cowardly" group, but as I use my real name I don't think it should.

Quote Originally Posted by northener View Post
    Frankly, a lot of people who have placed spurious comments on this thread ought to be ashamed of themselves. You are weak and cowardly individuals. You thrive on other peoples misfortunes and have no positive contribution to give whatsoever.
    If you want to look at what is wrong with the community of the world - look in a mirror.

It's not often I get wound up, but by Christ, you lot have really hit the spot on this one.......
    I made the post because I WAS BLOODY FURIOUS ABOUT THE WAY WE HAD BEEN TREATED.
    I felt it important to make people aware of the way he treated others.
    Maybe I shouldnt have done it, maybe im sinking to his level.
    But I would hate to feel that your just taking the other side to appear high and mighty and above that sort of thing.

Point is we shoulnt be having this debate because people shouldnt be horrible to tourists. I had to apologise for him, which really annoys me.

I'm pretty nice to everone I deal with all day, I dont see why someone else cant be, am I stupid?

Maybe we'll have to agree to disagree and leave it there.
    Last edited by robglysen; 01-Aug-07 at 18:04.

CourtwoodPhotographicLtd Guest

Exclamation Trying to put the record straight...

I shall try to put the record straight about the signpost at John O'Groats. I am the owner/manager of Courtwood Photographic Limited. We are based near Penzance in Cornwall. The company has been a small privately owned business for over 40 years as a photographic processor and printer. The founder of the company developed the "signpost" business in the late fifties. He took photos at Land's End and another site in the UK. He also founded the signpost at John O'groats at this time. He owned the hotel there as well for a certain period.

Now, I do not wish to burst anyone's bubble, but...

The signpost at John O'Groats is NOT a national monument or anything of the sort. It WOULD NOT exist if it were not for a very clever businessman many years ago. Both The signpost at John O'Groats and Land's End are owned and operated by Courtwood Photographic Limited. We offer a service and have had tens of thousands of happy customers since the signposts were erected in the fifties. Neither signpost has ever been "free". The very essence of the sign stems from the development of a business idea, nothing else.

Obviously the signposts have become famous through many years of happy contented customers who have received lovely mounted photos sent to their own homes. (This is and always will be advantageous. Most people on holiday would agree that carrying a photograph around with them for the rest of their journey is not the most sensible idea!)

Oh, your very valid complaints? Yes of course! I simply felt it was wise to clarify a few things first.

We have not had any specific complaints about our photographers until very recently. Not even this was "direct". The man in question has been reprimanded and apologises for his lack of patience and understanding. It is often difficult to maintain a smile when facing some rather poor weather and abuse from the public. That is not an excuse as anyone working with the public should maintain composure at all times. So lets just say it helps to paint the picture.

In the last five years or so, the general public visiting both sites has become, shall we say, rather more rude and aggressive when dealing with our photographers. Why? Well, I don't know anyone who does not have an image capturing device (camera of some sort.). So they all wish to take their own photos. They never had the chance a number of years ago as cameras were a luxury item. Once again we provide a personalized service (remember we put a message on the sign for people) and charge for that service. No one is obligating anyone to have their picture taken at our "painted piece of wood"

Another complaint arises due to the fact that the sign is "removed" when the photographer is not present. I am truly sorry that we found this necessary a few years ago. We use to put up a night post for people to use when we were closed. Vandalism, theft and people "having fun" forced us to make the decision to remove it at night. We have to do the same at Land's End. I am sorry that the state of society has forced this upon us.

As regards to the monies not staying in Scotland? We employ two people who live "locally" and we are obligated to pay the local council. But perhaps we are the only "English", or rather "Cornish" company in Scotland.

By the simple creation and running of the signpost we attract many people to the area. End to Enders and others seeking to have their photos at the post. I will be the first to agree that bad manners from our staff is not acceptable, and once again apologise. And specifically to anyone offended by the actions of our photographer.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

If you have specific complaints you wish to direct to my attention... please email to: signpost@courtwood.co.uk If I am not told what is happening, it is rather difficult to rectify the situation.

It looks like we may have an opening for a photographer's position next year. So if there is anyone prepared to brave the weather and society's attitude, please let me know.

Charles Schofield
    Managing director
    Courtwood Photographic Limited

Unit2, plot 1a
    Rospeath industrial estate
    Crowlas
    Cornwall
    TR20 8DU

good clear explanation. Many thanks.

I may just call off the mass trespass

Thank you Charles.

argos in wick would be a runner up for the winner..........

Angry

the staff in zeroz that work during the day are extremely rude! they seam to think shouting at their customers is good service

Charles, a very good reply which I think helps clarify the situation. I have watched 'the signpost' over many years and you are correct, vitually everyone, certainly holiday makers now carry cameras.

Could I suggest a 'business improvement'.

Why not charge a small fee to put up the lettering and take the picture for them with their camera. Five photos at say £2 = one normal sale.

The signpost is an institution - we just need to make it work for all our mutal benefit.

Argos I would have to agree with you but it was good at the start. What happened at Zeros or whatever it’s called now lol?

Quote Originally Posted by helenwyler View Post
    Must be the same guy MrW and I encountered earlier this month.

We had wandered innocently up to the signpost and I was about to take a photo of MrW standing by it when a yellow (!) sweatshirted man popped out of his box and told us we couldn't take a photo because it was a "private" signpost!!

What a lousy job having to do that all day, but he was such a misery of a jobsworth!

I did this job some years ago, starting at 8am and finishing late. I really enjoyed it, met some inice and interesting people and really enjoyed the end to enders. I still have the yellow tops i had to wear. was told not to let anyone take picture of the post and to remove the one part of the sign that said how many miles to lands end and the date and miles etc.I see it is being advertised again, quite tempted!!! I used to get a free lunch in the john O'Groats hotel but it did get very cold at times...and wet.
    Courtwood Photographic co. actually own the land inside the chaINS so I suppose you would be trespassing if you entered but you can stand outside for photoes. there is a good sign on the last house for taking pictures.
    Last edited by Fran; 06-May-09 at 15:40.
    Live for today as tomorrow may never come

Quote Originally Posted by Fran View Post
    I did this job some years ago, starting at 8am and finishing late. I really enjoyed it, met some inice and interesting people and really enjoyed the end to enders. I still have the yellow tops i had to wear. was told not to let anyone take picture of the post and to remove the one part of the sign that said how many miles to lands end and the date and miles etc.I see it is being advertised again, quite tempted!!! I used to get a free lunch in the john O'Groats hotel but it did get very cold at times...and wet.
    Hey Fran guess what, I also did this job for a Season, 1993 I think, or was it 1992. It a cold and boring job most of the time and the best bit was meeting the End to Enders who were just finishing or Starting.

I always enjoyed my chat with them and they were all very friendly as well. I never had a Yellow top though as when I did it you could wear what you wanted. I was also told not to let anyone take pictures of the Post but I usually just turned a Blind eye and mostly it made no difference to the amount of Photo's I took.

I always had a free Lunch in the JOG Hotel but then I was also working there in the evening as a Barman in the Public Bar. Brian Johnston was the Manager then, unfortunarely I believe he died a few years ago.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allen Poe

Quote Originally Posted by Fran View Post
    Peter, the lad who runs it is a very nice bloke.

Go on, Fran. You know you want to.

BTW you do realise that allowing this corpse of a thread to lurch its way out of the grave will probably lead to another anti-Groat rant by some.......

Why not lobby a local landowner or the council and put up a People's Post at John O'Groats? After all, why should one company have the monopoly? Do it local! Come on, where's that Caithness fire in the heart?!

If you go to The First and Last House on the pier, you will see that they have errected a Signpost on their Wall.

Now lots of Visitors stand beside this and get their Photo taken for free.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allen Poe

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast