Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The most unpleasant person in Caithness

Default The most unpleasant person in Caithness

Is the man who takes your picture at the sign in John O' Groats.

He is short tempered, impolite and and not the person I would choose to represent my county.

He has no people skills or patience and has a smile for no one even people that have just finished an 874 mile bike ride for instance.

Also the lack of spaces for bicycles on the train is pathetic too.

Thank god I was there to meet the cyclists, as this guys 'welcome' was pretty non existent, manners and politeness are FREE.
    While we were there three seperate groups finished the end to end and he was pretty unfriendly to all of them, someone who likes being there and actually enjoys the job would be much better.
    I know I may get into trouble here as I use my real name, however im am simply posting the truth. And if the that is a problem, then ban me if you wish.
    Last edited by robglysen; 27-Jul-07 at 09:18. Reason: Edited for stuff

For clarity I would point out that the person who takes photos at John O'Groats represents a private company that runs a similar stance at Landsend.

I am making enquiries about the bikes on trains question from Inverness to wick as last year a van system was in place to transport excerss cycles up to Wick where there was insufficient space on the train. Cycles were I understand waiting to meet cyclist coming off the train. I will get back here on the cycle question once I get the answer from Scotrail hopefully later today.
    Last edited by Bill Fernie; 27-Jul-07 at 09:39.

Must be the same guy MrW and I encountered earlier this month.

We had wandered innocently up to the signpost and I was about to take a photo of MrW standing by it when a yellow (!) sweatshirted man popped out of his box and told us we couldn't take a photo because it was a "private" signpost!!

Incredulous, we asked for clarification, to be told again it was private and we could take a photo outside the chained area, which means you can't get near it!! We lost interest, needless to say.

What a lousy job having to do that all day, but he was such a misery of a jobsworth!

When I was younger I used to spend a fair bit of my time down there as the guy who worked there at the time looked like Brad Pitt and had a smile for everyone. Ahhh, those were the days!

How can it be that the leading tourist attraction in the area is not better supported than this? Lands end could show them the way

Sheila Guest

Default Cyclists problems

Sam in the Bike Shop in Thurso always has boxes with bikes waiting to be uplifted by road haulage as the rail wont take them-even though the cyclists think they are booked on! Cycle tour sites list Sam as the contact point for cycle transport when people have problems!!!and I have had to wait whilst the shop has been closed whilst he has had to run cyclists boxes and luggage to the bus stop all for free as Sam said "this is what they will remember as the end of their trip-we have to make up for the transport problems they have suffered somehow!

Quote Originally Posted by robglysen View Post
    Bicycles are sent up by road.

Default Bikes Taken By Road

I amde an enquiry to Scotrail regarding the cycle transport by rail as I thought there was van serice started last year and it seems that is still the case. The reply I received today is as follows -

Integrated travel opportunities are a key priority for First ScotRail.
    Since being awarded the franchise in October 2004, improvements have been
    introduced including the provision of cycle racks at nearly all our
    stations, enhancements to cycle lockers and the introduction of more bike
    spaces on a number of our trains.

During the summer months, we run a cycle van along the Far North Lines to
    cater for the increase in the number of people travelling with bikes.
    Recognising the requirement of our customers, the Class 158 trains which
    operate along these routes are currently undergoing refurbishment, with a
    key element being the addition of more bike spaces.

The refurbishment of our Class 322 trains has also won an industry award
    in recognition of efforts made to provide more cycle spaces. Passenger
    Focus, the independent customer watchdog, recently commented that “First
    ScotRail is making moves in the right direction.”

We are confident that the enhancements we are making are considerably
    benefitting our customers and will continue to make improvements to raise
    the quality of service we are providing.

In other words: Dinnae come to Caithness way yer fancy bikes and weird city ways, please.

Quote Originally Posted by helenwyler View Post
    Must be the same guy MrW and I encountered earlier this month.

We had wandered innocently up to the signpost and I was about to take a photo of MrW standing by it when a yellow (!) sweatshirted man popped out of his box and told us we couldn't take a photo because it was a "private" signpost!!

Incredulous, we asked for clarification, to be told again it was private and we could take a photo outside the chained area, which means you can't get near it!! We lost interest, needless to say.

What a lousy job having to do that all day, but he was such a misery of a jobsworth!
    Does anyone know the "legality" of this bit of nonsense?

Who owns the visitors centre at John O' Groats, more to the point who owns the land around the signpost, and does the company concerned have the right to keep people off it?

I can well imagine that I will be taking many trips there in the not too distant future simply to test this mans mettle.

Might well offer to take pictures of anyone that wishes it free of charge too!

Thanks for the cycle uplift info, of the people we met, no one actually seemed to know about any of it. If we're going to rely on tourism especially when the big D has gone we need to look at it closely.

Luckily myself and my wife were onhand to meet the couple in question and took them for a big slap up meal thanks to the brilliant Halladale Inn and also put them up for the night.

Quote Originally Posted by robglysen View Post
    Is the man who takes your picture at the sign in John O' Groats.

He is short tempered, impolite and and not the person I would choose to represent my county.

He has no people skills or patience and has a smile for no one even people that have just finished an 874 mile bike ride for instance.

Thank god I was there to meet the cyclists, as this guys 'welcome' was pretty non existent, manners and politeness are FREE.
    While we were there three seperate groups finished the end to end and he was pretty unfriendly to all of them, someone who likes being there and actually enjoys the job would be much better.
    I know I may get into trouble here as I use my real name, however im am simply posting the truth. And if the that is a problem, then ban me if you wish.
    there was a nurse at highland fabricators just like that, she was the most arrogant scarcastic acid tongued person you would ever be unfortunate to meet. if any staff had an accident or had to have a check up they got it,
    i hope that she,s reading this and it makes her day cause thats the kind of kick that i think she would enjoy

Lands End to John O Groats jetski attempt 2001: complaint comment by them. "the 'official' John O Groats photographer who threw his teddy out of his pram and put the famous sign post in the back of his car and went home in a huff." - not nice for visitors.
    I think in Companies House it's: 'THE LANDS END AND JOHN O GROATS Co LTD' who own both the immediate signpost areas?

Sorry just found this, so seems to clear it up?

Wikipedia: The famous "journey's end" signpost at John o'Groats, like its counterpart at Land's End, is private property and owned and operated by a Penzance based firm called Courtwood Photographic. Private photography is forbidden, however, Sunday sees an absence of anyone from Courtwood Photographic at the signpost. To have your photo taken at the famous landmark, prices start at UKŁ9 (2007 prices) and are sent out in the post at a later date. Many people mistakenly believe that the signpost was erected by the Highland Council for general public use. That is not true. A "free" out-of-hours signpost is situated on the wall next to the First and Last souvenir shop and the harbour as the main signpost is dismantled at night by the site operator

Absolutely ridiculous!! Who sold the rights in the first place? The council should put up it's own "public" sign post.

A long time ago I remember John Alexander, a cousin of my father, doing that job for a summer when he was a student. He was the opposite of the current guy, always a smile on his face, and would turn a blind eye to people taking their own pictures.

But then again, George, that was a different era...sigh ......an ye ken fit e kaitnes fowk are leck fur bletherin

Go there in Winter and you won't see anyone, you can take as many snaps as you like.
    'Cause if my eyes don't deceive me,
    There's something going wrong around here

Quote Originally Posted by anneoctober View Post
    But then again, George, that was a different era...sigh ......an ye ken fit e kaitnes fowk are leck fur bletherin
    Actually John grew up in Aberdeen, though his side of the family were in Castletown I believe.

I'm afraid I have to agree with the OP, I had the misfourtune of needing a photo taken at the sign for the start of a relay, and had to pay the guy to take the photo, he was then happy for us to take out own photo, which needless to says was enourmously better. It was digital too and I had the print by the end of the day, compared to waiting weeks for the 'offical' one which was if I am honest, was plain crap as far as photographic skills go.

As a photographer I know how you need to treat customers, the gentleman in question does not have those skills.

I vote that we buy a plot of land next his 'box' and put up out own sign, I would happly take photos of tourists and ensure they had the prints minutes afterwards, its just a shame I work down south now.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast