Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: computer about to die...

Default computer about to die...

I keep getting blue screens with indecipherable text which seems to suggest my computer is on the way out. I'm trying to backup my copious Outlook (Office 2000 Premium Edition) e-mails, contacts etc., but can't seem to manage it. There appears to be an archive file on the C drive, but if that fails what use is that?
    I don't have the original disk with the software on. Can anyone help please?

Perhaps try posting here -
    http://forum.caithness.org/forumdisplay.php?f=46

James.

"A family tree can wither if nobody tends it's roots"

Quote Originally Posted by daviddd View Post
    I keep getting blue screens with indecipherable text which seems to suggest my computer is on the way out. I'm trying to backup my copious Outlook (Office 2000 Premium Edition) e-mails, contacts etc., but can't seem to manage it. There appears to be an archive file on the C drive, but if that fails what use is that?
    I don't have the original disk with the software on. Can anyone help please?
    Sure hope you get your problem solved. I hate to think about that happening to me. At 82 years of age I use mine too much to be without it.

there are a few solutions.

Easiest one if you are running XP is to buy either a "flah drive" or external hard drive, you can buy them at Tesco, online from amazon amongst others, and probably at other places in Caithness, but being very new up here I don't really know best places to recomend yet.

With XP they are very simple to setup and use. You would then simply copy any files you want to keep to the new "drive" and then you have a safe backup even if your hard drive fails. If you are usinmg Win98 or ME then they are a little more complicated to setup, but still doable.

Blue Screen of Death (BSoD) is not always an indication that your PC is about to die, it can be something quite trivial that triggers it. Have you any other symptoms? How old is the PC? Added any hardware or software recently? Do you have good upto date antivirus software installed and working?

Feel free to PM me with details if you wish, and I'll see what I can suggest.