Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: useful presents

Default useful presents

My hubby has just gave me new shelving units, plus a cordless screwdriver & spirit level for building them as an anniversary present, at least now i have somewhere for my ornaments, so now all i have to do now is get building.
    Just wondered has anyone else had such useful presents from their husband / wife
    The man who views the world at fifty,
    the same as he did at twenty,
    has wasted thirty years of his life.

My ex bought me a kettle for christmas once. He boasted to me before Christmas day that I would never guess what it was and that it was something I needed. He was telling me how helpfull the staff were they even wrapped it for him.
    He later let it slip that it was out the Hydro..... the penny dropped a few days earlier I had complained that I needed a new kettle and I realised that he had probably bought me one, the staff must have been laughing up there sleeves at the thought of the poor recipient of this gift....No wonder they offered to wrap it for him.

Sam I also got a cordless screw driver in a gift best present I ever got.

lol i'm delighted with it, goes to show hubby knows me better than i thought

Glasgow but want to live anywhere else up north!

My hubby bought me a dart board as an anniversary gift.Very useful for puting holes in the walls every time I missed.

Quote Originally Posted by sam View Post
    My hubby has just gave me new shelving units, plus a cordless screwdriver & spirit level for building them as an anniversary present,at least now i have somewhere for my ornaments, so now all i have to do now is get building.
    Just wondered has anyone else had such useful presents from their husband / wife
    wow ,if i gave that to mrs johno as an anniversary pressie i,d be walking with a limp for the next week or so till i found where she,d put the screwdriver. OUCH,,eek:

Lol,

I dont know why some women complain, I prefer to get something usefull rather than something that would lie in a cupboard unused or something that just sits and gathers dust at least my pressie's can be used time and time again

Quote Originally Posted by sam View Post
    Lol,

I dont know why some women complain, I prefer to get something usefull rather than something that would lie in a cupboard unused or something that just sits and gathers dust at least my pressie's can be used time and time again
    guess its becouse ive got a workshop full of usefulltool,s

Quote Originally Posted by johno View Post
    guess its becouse ive got a workshop full of usefulltool,s
    oop,s pressies

One year...quite a few years back, now...at our Primary School fete, Saltire won a big, fluffy teddy bear in the raffle, and I won a set of screwdrivers. He (either gallantly, or in disgust, I've never been completely sure which ) presented me with the bear, but No Way was I going to give up my very own set of screwdrivers! I still have part of the set...the missing ones are the ones somebody "borrowed", and either lost, or trashed....

But yes, I've had a few of those more useful "household" type of gifts, along with ones that were pure personal luxuries, and others that indulge my many, and varied, interests. Most of them absolutely perfect! Of course, that I usually get asked "What do you want?" and I give back a written note of what it is I do want...along with colour and size (if applicable), where it's available, and the price...may have something to do with that . But then, that has meant that they definitely are things I will use, too.
    Last edited by Elenna; 25-Jul-07 at 18:38. Reason: typing error
    The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea. ~Isak Dinesen

I'd love a useful present!

I've been hinting to MrW for a while now that I'd really really like an electric lawn mower. For my birthday... just because I'm me...any old excuse!

We have little pushalong affair which only nips about half an inch off the grass, but fools MrW into thinking he's done a good job by flattening what's left!! Tough grass stems remain defiantly erect, but MrW doesn't worry about that...

He loves the wretched thing. The muffled rhythmical push and pull, the sound of the chain rolling back...ah the nostalgic sound of Sunday afternoons gone by (he's only 50)!.

Trouble is, he revealed to me recently that he's worried I'm going to somehow get tangled up in the wire, sever at least one limb and fall senseless onto the (at least neatly cut) grass! Perhaps I should be flattered at his concern?!

Ah well, guess I'm gonna have to fork out myself. Can't wait for Autumn sales at Homebase!!

i've been hinting that I would like a BMW cabriolet - now that really would be useful

Quote Originally Posted by helenwyler View Post
    I'd love a useful present!

I've been hinting to MrW for a while now that I'd really really like an electric lawn mower. For my birthday... just because I'm me...any old excuse!

We have little pushalong affair which only nips about half an inch off the grass, but fools MrW into thinking he's done a good job by flattening what's left!! Tough grass stems remain defiantly erect, but MrW doesn't worry about that...

He loves the wretched thing. The muffled rhythmical push and pull, the sound of the chain rolling back...ah the nostalgic sound of Sunday afternoons gone by (he's only 50)!.

Trouble is, he revealed to me recently that he's worried I'm going to somehow get tangled up in the wire, sever at least one limb and fall senseless onto the (at least neatly cut) grass! Perhaps I should be flattered at his concern?!

Ah well, guess I'm gonna have to fork out myself. Can't wait for Autumn sales at Homebase!!
    Very important. Use a bright red or orange extension cable, not a green one! I used to have two long green ones. Thanks to my son ignoring the above advice I now have 4 shorter ones (after the addition of some extra end bits).

Quote Originally Posted by George Brims View Post
    Very important. Use a bright red or orange extension cable, not a green one! I used to have two long green ones. Thanks to my son ignoring the above advice I now have 4 shorter ones (after the addition of some extra end bits).
    Well at least you did n't put Sandra out to mow the lawn.....

karia Guest

Oh Helen,

I do sympathise ....Ask him to buy you an RCD (residual current device so I'm told!)... then there's no danger of death in the grass and you can get on with it!

OH is on his third 'near fatal' slice through of the cable for the hedge trimmers and we now have one....

.....so I'm gonna have to find another method of murdering him!

How tiresome!

Karia

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by karia View Post
    Oh Helen,

I do sympathise ....Ask him to buy you an RCD (residual current device so I'm told!)... then there's no danger of death in the grass and you can get on with it!

OH is on his third 'near fatal' slice through of the cable for the hedge trimmers and we now have one....

How tiresome!

Karia
    You ARE awful......BUT I like you !!!!

I got an Iron... Cant complain really as its an expensive one and boy its good!!! ha!

Quote Originally Posted by George Brims View Post
    Thanks George Very sensible advice!

if its a larger garden or the grass is long you are better of with a petrol mower I have burnt the motor out in my 1st electric mower then i managed to cut the cable in the second..hubby fixed it then i burnt the motor out in the next strip...then he bought a petrol mower and i cant start it so he has to cut the grass now... i dont miss doing it 1 bit

I got a bottle of aftershave and a frying pan one Christmas.
    Don't wrestle with pigs, you just get all dirty and the pig enjoys it.

Quote Originally Posted by karia View Post
    Oh Helen,

death in the grass !

How tiresome!

Karia
    haha karia!! - now you've got me thinking!

Perhaps it not concern for me after all...perHAPS he's worried that he might succumb to temptation if he had the chance!!

And I just thought he was an old romantic.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast