Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: BT extension

Default BT extension

I would like to have an additional line & socket wired from the main BT telephone socket/junction.

I know I've asked this before, sometime in the distant past, but is there anyone out there who can do this for a cheaper rate than BT?

I don't want to use extension kits and do it myself.

Thanks.

Sandra, I am not sure why you do not want to use an extension kit but there is no reason not to. Look for the kit that has a socket doubler (you simply put it into the existing socket) and then you plug your phone into one socket and the extension can be tacked along the skirting (use the correct cable tacks) to the new location.

Someone with sufficient skill and the right tools could do the job more prefessionally... but then that will cost - unless you live near me.
    "Step sideways, pause and study those around you. You will learn a great deal."

The main telephone junction box (no 'sockets') is located upstairs. I have one cable/line hardwired into this junction, which leads to a socket downstairs.

I would like to hardwire another line & socket into the junction, but have it upstairs.

I don't want to use extension kits as this means trailing a lead from the downstairs socket back upstairs.

If I can get a line leading from the junction box it would be much neater.

I guess I should have thought about that when I got connected, but I didn't

Quote Originally Posted by Sandra View Post
    The main telephone junction box (no 'sockets') is located upstairs. I have one cable/line hardwired into this junction, which leads to a socket downstairs.

I would like to hardwire another line & socket into the junction, but have it upstairs.

I don't want to use extension kits as this means trailing a lead from the downstairs socket back upstairs.

If I can get a line leading from the junction box it would be much neater.

I guess I should have thought about that when I got connected, but I didn't
    OK - that is clearer. You cannot (legally) tamper with that main junction box - it belongs to BT. Why not get a cordless system? Then you just need to fit your base station to the downstairs socket and have your other phones wherever you like - no trailing cables. I have a BT 3-phone system (got it from Argos, I think). All you need is a power socket for each phone. Also cuts down on the number of filters you need for your broadband.
    "Step sideways, pause and study those around you. You will learn a great deal."

Sandra's original request back in Nov 05 was so she could wire in a Sky box upstairs so there's no real option other than an extension.

If it had been for broadband or telephone only then she could have gone wireless, but I don't think Sky has that option.

You can purchase "sky sender" kits which will send the signal to a TV of your choice within range
    Hope that helps!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sandra View Post
    I would like to have an additional line & socket wired from the main BT telephone socket/junction.

I know I've asked this before, sometime in the distant past, but is there anyone out there who can do this for a cheaper rate than BT?

I don't want to use extension kits and do it myself.

Thanks.
    Hi sandra

Is this so u can have another phone in another room?

Why don't u just get a pair of phones, then u don't need another socket, all u need is a socket to plug charger in

Thats what we did much easier and might b just as cheap

Lindsay

Sandra, like Ricco says, you can get a wireless phone system. I have a very good one, I only need one phone socket in the house and I can have up to eight handsets. Mine is a Vtech, not sure if you can get it in the UK but Panasonic make them too. You have a main base that plugs into your main socket, then the other phones just plug into an electrical outlet to keep them charge, they are completely cordless and you never have to run an extension ever again. Extensions will be a thing of the past sooner or later, wireless is the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobinovich View Post
    Sandra's original request back in Nov 05 was so she could wire in a Sky box upstairs so there's no real option other than an extension.

If it had been for broadband or telephone only then she could have gone wireless, but I don't think Sky has that option.
    Ah well Ididn't read this first. Can't believe Sky still requires a telephone line, they are still in the dark ages, they shoudl be using signalling for everything, you can even get Dish broadband in the states now. They need to move forward with their technology.