Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

View Poll Results: More shops beside Tesco, For or Against?

Voters
139. You may not vote on this poll
  • For (Resons?)

117 84.17%
  • Against (Reasons?)

12 8.63%
  • No Oppinion (Reasons?)

10 7.19%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New shopping complex/ centre beside Tesco- VOTE

Default New shopping complex/ centre beside Tesco- VOTE

To show the basic idea of what people think, vote!

It's not anonymous!

we should get more shops, why on earth shouldnt we!
    but why on earth does everything have to be in wick?
    what does thurso have? a cinema thats all and overpriced shops!
    ELVIS ISN'T DEAD I HEARD HIM ON THE RADIO

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    we should get more shops, why on earth shouldnt we!
    but why on earth does everything have to be in wick?
    what does thurso have? a cinema thats all and overpriced shops!
    Well, yes but if some major shops were put in Thurso and some in Wick then it would be awkward for people to travel to two different places to get to different shops. I know it's not very convenient for the people living in the Thurso area but it's easier than them having to do shopping in Thurso and travel to Wick when they can do all their shopping in one place at once.

Also, I believe Wick is known as the capital of the north of Scotland therefore it should be showing reputation for it's title by attracting as many people as possible. Just like Inverness is the capital of the Highlands as it is where all the main businesses are situated.

Quote Originally Posted by rfr10 View Post
    Well, yes but if some major shops were put in Thurso and some in Wick then it would be awkward for people to travel to two different places to get to different shops. I know it's not very convenient for the people living in the Thurso area but it's easier than them having to do shopping in Thurso and travel to Wick when they can do all their shopping in one place at once.

Also, I believe Wick is known as the capital of the north of Scotland therefore it should be showing reputation for it's title by attracting as many people as possible. Just like Inverness is the capital of the Highlands as it is where all the main businesses are situated.

no disrespect to people who live in wick but i find it very run down, there would be no harm in thurso having some better shops rather than having to travel to wick when ever they want different things..........
    ELVIS ISN'T DEAD I HEARD HIM ON THE RADIO

no disrespect to people who live in wick but i find it very run down, there would be no harm in thurso having some better shops rather than having to travel to wick when ever they want different things..........
    Run down? Maybe but that's why we need these shops to bring it back to life a bit! Wick IS getting better. It may be taking its time but it is happening. Lots of old buildings near the harbour are now being turned into luxury town houses.

It's the only way Wick is going to see more visitors. They need it more than Thurso at the moment.

Exclamation

Remember to give your reasons for your vote everyone!

Wick is getting better and with more shops there is more money getting spent in the county.

I'm undecided on this - on one hand you already have Tesco in Wick and a few other good shoppies... on the other hand - let Thurso have some good shops! Still, something else in Wick other than a big supermarket and you might have something not so 'touristy' to offer people who visit the area often - after all, Caithness, no matter where... well, it could do with attracting people.

It would mean that money already in the area will be spent in the area instead of so much of it being spent in Inverness, I guess that's my main point.
    "People may say what they wish, but we are actually under no compulsion to listen." LJ, and I do so wholeheartedly agree!

Default New shopping complex Wick

I can only say good luck to Wick, they deserve it. Thurso had its chance, and blew it. I live in Thurso and get my shopping and petrol in Wick, it just means i will get a better selection of shops to chose from. and better value for my money, so that will be a bonus.

So what's the reasons from those against it?

Smile

i think it will be good for wick and more jobs

I'm for this...basically more shops=more jobs.

SNOWDOG Guest

We need to get away from this Wick/Thurso divide thing folks. We all live in Caithness and as far as im concerned the more people who stay here to spend their hard earned, the better. Inverness will manage quite well without us. Yes, before you start, i know it doesnt matter when your dealing with big national companies, but if people find they no longer need to go south o' the ord for retail reasons, that can only be a good thing!

Isn't it a bit daft asking someone their reasons for having no opinion when they have no opinion?
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by itsteven View Post
    i think it will be good for wick and more jobs
    Good point!

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead View Post
    Isn't it a bit daft asking someone their reasons for having no opinion when they have no opinion?
    They can have a reason for having no opinion on this topic. Whether it is because they don't care about it or whether they are fed up about topics like this or whether they are just unsure about what they think.

Quote Originally Posted by rfr10 View Post
    Run down? Maybe but that's why we need these shops to bring it back to life a bit! Wick IS getting better. It may be taking its time but it is happening. Lots of old buildings near the harbour are now being turned into luxury town houses.

It's the only way Wick is going to see more visitors. They need it more than Thurso at the moment.
    Sorry, but any new shops going into a retail park aren't going to change the run down look of ANY high street - Wick or further south.

Quote Originally Posted by SNOWDOG View Post
    We need to get away from this Wick/Thurso divide thing folks. We all live in Caithness and as far as im concerned the more people who stay here to spend their hard earned, the better. Inverness will manage quite well without us. Yes, before you start, i know it doesnt matter when your dealing with big national companies, but if people find they no longer need to go south o' the ord for retail reasons, that can only be a good thing!
    I used to love going to Inverness so that I could do a big Tesco shop. Was delighted when they came to Wick, but now I'm bored of it and much rather the Co-op. Also, once we get all the new stores, we'll soon get bored and want to go south for a bit of variety - surely people from Inverness go to Edinburgh or Glasgow for a bit of variety - I certainly know of a few that do.

Quote Originally Posted by henry20 View Post
    Sorry, but any new shops going into a retail park aren't going to change the run down look of ANY high street - Wick or further south.
    Maybe so but it will liven the place up a bit though.

Default Wick needs a lick o paint

I tend to agree with that statement..they tart up the roads and pavements which just enhances how ugly/dirty the buildings are in the High Street. A lick of paint or a damn good wash would help enormously.
    Spring has sprung, the grass is ris', I wonder where the birdies is, the birdies is on d' wing, now thats absurd, everyone knows d' wing is on d' bird

Quote Originally Posted by mccaugm View Post
    I tend to agree with that statement..they tart up the roads and pavements which just enhances how ugly/dirty the buildings are in the High Street. A lick of paint or a damn good wash would help enormously.
    A Random-ish comment... I was away in St Andrews this week and I noticed that the council had put chewing gum recycling bins on lots of lamp posts. I thought this was a very good idea and you hardly saw any chewing gum on the streets at all. Maybe this should be a suggestion for the Highland Council.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast