Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: What keeps a village alive?

Default What keeps a village alive?

What do you think is needed for a village to remain a proper community, rather than just a place for commuters to sleep, or a sort of annexe of the nearest town?

Does it need to have a least a school, shop, church, post office, pub?

Or do you think a sense of community can survive regardless?

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Angela View Post
    What do you think is needed for a village to remain a proper community, rather than just a place for commuters to sleep, or a sort of annexe of the nearest town?

Does it need to have a least a school, shop, church, post office, pub?

Or do you think a sense of community can survive regardless?
    Have you something against Commuters sleeping in a village? they have to sleep somewhere and I'm sure they contribute to the local economy. I am also sure they are capable of stringing 2 words together and adding to the community spirit - we are not all numpties!!

I think you need to have a mixed population of all configerations.Young couples,familys and elderly people all contribute something different to village life.
    All to often villages are turned into ghost area's when everyone goes off to work in the"big cities"and the very essence is removed from them.Without younge family's there are no kids for schools and people to buy from village shops.My elderly mother lives in one of these ares and she can be totally on her own all day once her neighboughs have left for work
    Never judge someone until you have walked two moons in their moccasins.

Native American Indian saying.

Angela, I think that if you move to a new home and don't know anyone it is much easier if there are clubs, organisations etc., that one can join and meet the other residents.

However, if people are friendly this progresses naturally to getting together from time to time and looking out for each other. For this to happen it is not necessary to be committed to being a member of anything.

Obviously some people like a quiet life or have enough going on in their lives which they find fulfilling but it is always good to have a choice. I personally like living near a primary school and I love hearing the bairns at play at break times.

If someone thinks a place is too quiet then they can have a go at starting up something or other that people would like but I don't think it is always necessary.

Having said all that, having a good working community means that they always keep a look out for the more vulnerable in their midst and you can always ask a neighbour to give your car a push on a cold morning!

Quote Originally Posted by dozerboy View Post
    Have you something against Commuters sleeping in a village? they have to sleep somewhere and I'm sure they contribute to the local economy. I am also sure they are capable of stringing 2 words together and adding to the community spirit - we are not all numpties!!
    Did I say I did?

I certainly don't. I've done exactly that myself!

We did contribute to the village economy - via the shop, pub, cafe and post office...but then there was a shop, pub, cafe and post office in the village.

My point is this: does there have to be a mimimal level of amenities actually in a village to make it a distinct and separate entity?
    Last edited by Angela; 26-Feb-07 at 14:27.

Quote Originally Posted by Torvaig View Post
    Angela, I think that if you move to a new home and don't know anyone it is much easier if there are clubs, organisations etc., that one can join and meet the other residents.

... having a good working community means that they always keep a look out for the more vulnerable in their midst and you can always ask a neighbour to give your car a push on a cold morning!
    This is what we found Torvaig - because there was a school, church, pub...there were more clubs and groups already in existence, so it was easier to join in (if you wanted to) and to get to know people quicker.

I spent part of the week working from home, which helped.

And yes, people were friendly and helpful -you really didn't need to lock your front door and folk would ring the bell to tell you if you'd left your car lights on

My mother has moved to a delightful little village where everyone watches out for everyone else. They party together, they mourn together, they rally for political voice. There is no school, no pub and no shops (well there is a bit of a store for used books). There is a church, but it is somewhat marginal to the life of the community. Most of the people, except the retirees, work away. The village has existed for a few hundred years and the school, pub and shops were once there. I don't know if one would get the cohesiveness of a village without those things if the village was being created from scratch.

Sunlight
    Water
    Fresh Air
    People

I think if you have the above then the rest will sort itself out.
    'Cause if my eyes don't deceive me,
    There's something going wrong around here

a place where no one hurts another, where you can gather for childrens events and all lends a hand.
    Flowers growing in beautiful gardens, trees in the woods blow gently in the breeze.
    Stoney paths that crackle under foot,
    just some of the things a village is aboot.
    Local sweet shops, and butchers selling lamb chops.
    Children swings, Oh the joy it brings..
    perfect harmony, then they all grow up an move away...
    WoRdS ShOuLd Be SiMpLe An VoIcEs SoFt !!!

Smile A wee bustling village

A fine day to all!
    A few observations after living for 16 years from 2 village of 300 two miles distant.

The energy, spirit, and diversity of a village offers great potential to be alive and well, with a few things in place:
    - a school, churches, businesses for food, auto needs and repairs, restaurants, post office, banking.

Situated on a busy highway may see motels and hotels with pubs.
    Other places to keep the flow of people going: senior's homes, sport parks,
    Legions, truck stops.

The village I am near services roughly 4 000 rural folk in an area about 25 x 25 miles. (60x60 km).
    The closest city is 20 miles.
    To Strive, To Seek, and Never to Yield - Tennyson - Searching for Mackay, Sinclair, Munro, Montgomery, Anderson, Gordon, Highland ancestors before 1830

A village green surrounded by houses with a church, a school, a shop (or two), a pub, a village hall, a pond with ducks, a station somewhere near by. What else, pretty gardens, friendly folk.
    Oops sorry, I've slipped into the wrong century.
    The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Quote Originally Posted by badger View Post
    A village green surrounded by houses with a church, a school, a shop (or two), a pub, a village hall, a pond with ducks, a station somewhere near by. What else, pretty gardens, friendly folk.
    Oops sorry, I've slipped into the wrong century.
    No, no badger, that's the one I lived in just recently except for the pond & ducks....but there was a burn and a crossing for toads