Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Astronot Blasts Into Orbit

Default Astronot Blasts Into Orbit

Front page John o Groat Journal. "Astronot ready for lift-off".

Well done Astronot "Stevie, Jamie and Darren" with your recent recognition and opportunities.

All the best

Doc Rock
    Asinus asinum fricat

Cheers Doc, much appreciated.

I seem to remember my dad suggesting something similar, ie get a real job and keep the music for a hobby; I'm sad to say I scoffed at his lack of faith in my musical skills.
    Some 20 years later i found myself suggesting something similar to some young aspiring rock stars who scoffed at my lack of faith in their musical skills.
    I wonder how long it'll be before the next generation of aspiring rock stars comes along. Maybe we should queue up to give them the advice and smile when they scoff at our lack of faith in their musical skills.
    (Brother Jim is excepted from this discussion of course...the swine!)
    Working On Behalf Of The Community!

It's especially difficult because this area is so far from London, which is where one generally has to go to "make it" in pop/whatever music. I wonder how many potential Bowies or Bonos have ended up like the late, lamented Viaduct, never realising their musical potential and reverting to a conventional career?

There are a select few in Scotland like Broken Family Band: Ballboy and Aberfeldy to name just two. They have regular jobs, families, houses, yet still manage to play to big crowds, big festivals (T), and, better yet, sell a few albums as well as making a few quid from it. They are in the minority, however, and it does pay for young bands to pay a wee bit of heed to the article. Remember Buddha Crush? They wasted several years of their lives thinking they were going to be the new Manic Street Preachers. I'm glad to say Richie is doing all right for himself these days; he works in HMV (OK, maybe not so good) but he's a pretty darn good pedal-steel player.

I don't agree however that bands have to go to London to make a name for themselves. Glasgow has a world-wide reputation for producing some of the best bands in recent years (the last 20), and pretty much any young band worth their salt heads for weegieland in the hope the indies - and the majors - will come a-banging on their door.

TBH, I couldn't really give a toss if we "make it" or not. If something happens, then it happens. We're just writing music, getting the crack, working with enthusiastic people and getting finished results that are quite frankly, superb.

We're just back from recording at The Byre.. it was an amazing place. The engineer was great and the guy(and his wife) running the place were really cool. The finished result is great. Ironworks on Wednesday now.

Making money? Meh... memories are worth more.