Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Longberry

Default Longberry

Boys are keen to go fishing so I was thinking about taking them to Longberry. Can anyone tell me the easiest and safest way of getting down from the grey bouls.

Thanks

Default Longberry

Allan,

Please do not attempt to descend the cliffs at Longberry without someone that can safely guide you down there.
    At times, there is excellent fishing to be had, but safety must come first.
    It is not too difficult to get there if you know the way.

Good luck and tight lines.

Exclamation

Access is not difficult if you know the way , have a head for heights and take your time, but describing the route down over such a "samey" area of clifftop is dodgy.
    As the man says , find someone to accompany you on your first trip.

Anyone been fishing at Clyth lighthouse - I hear its really difficult going down there. Had a look one time but couldnt suss it out.
    The flat rocks below Holborn Head are like Longberry , OK if you know where and when.......

Default longberry

Quote Originally Posted by AllanT View Post
    Boys are keen to go fishing so I was thinking about taking them to Longberry. Can anyone tell me the easiest and safest way of getting down from the grey bouls.

Thanks
    Have sent pm, southview7

Hi Allan
    Paul was down at Longberry recently and says it might be tricky for the boys.
    He thought it might be easier when they're older.
    evelyn

Depends on the age of e bairns but when you leave the car park head towards the sea then turn to your left and there is a way down with big natural steps. I wouldn't go there is it's been raining as the algae gets like a skating rink. Best fished 3 hours either side of low water for easy exit and access.
    The Big Man

Thumbs down Litter at Longberry

Safety is a big issue - avoid when the rocks are wet (through rain or sea spray) and fishing should not be entertained in a rough sea or when there is a swell running. Some people turn up with a bag of sand to ais grip and others use steel studs on their footwear to combat the slippy rocks. A head for heights and being sure of foot is essential.
    That said it is a great fishing spot with Mackerel, Saithe, Pollock the odd Wrasse and Ling turning up at the moment.
    The big downside is the numpties that leave litter especially packaging from lures and feathers - the rock is currently covered with such waste and I was deeply embarrased when taken a visiting angler down for a cast the other day. When asking someone else that was down on the rocks about the litter I received the comment that 'it's OK a storm will take it out to sea!

Default longberry

Was down on longberry once when it rained - it made climbing back up interesting as the handholds are rounded and the rocks smooth with use.

Used to fish there with a " wandie". Remember them ??

Angry

there was rope handrails going down there last year but due 2 the ropes being cut or vandalised they are not there now.if anyone has spare rope the rings are still there.

Default longberry

Just put the rope back at the weekend,hope it is still there.

Quote Originally Posted by SOAC View Post
    Safety is a big issue - avoid when the rocks are wet (through rain or sea spray) and fishing should not be entertained in a rough sea or when there is a swell running. Some people turn up with a bag of sand to ais grip and others use steel studs on their footwear to combat the slippy rocks. A head for heights and being sure of foot is essential.
    That said it is a great fishing spot with Mackerel, Saithe, Pollock the odd Wrasse and Ling turning up at the moment.
    The big downside is the numpties that leave litter especially packaging from lures and feathers - the rock is currently covered with such waste and I was deeply embarrased when taken a visiting angler down for a cast the other day. When asking someone else that was down on the rocks about the litter I received the comment that 'it's OK a storm will take it out to sea!
    it"s a pity a storm would"nt take them out to sea?

A gang of us used go down to Longberry on an almost daily basis in the summer months and never gave the safety aspect a moments thought. i guess we must have been lucky. funny though when you are young there ,s very little fear of danger. looking down the rocks now i shudder to think on what we used to do there and at Scorrie,s Island
    We must have been lucky as none of us ever came to grief although some others have fallen & hurt themselves very badly

Couple of years ago there was even an article in 'sea angler' magazine about Longberry. Top fishing spot.