Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Harry Potter spoiler!

I know, went down to Bews at quarter to twelve to be told all copies have sold out!
    engiebenjy

Thought it wasn't supposed to be on sale till 12.01, how could it be sold out at 11.45?? unless they only got in enough copies to cover orders
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing. But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

I thought that too, I think they must have been selling copies to those who turned up early, then releasing them at 12.01.
    engiebenjy

Quote Originally Posted by changilass View Post
    Am I the only person who has never read one of these books, never seen any of the films and have no interest at all.

Give me a Disc World book or a Rebus anyday of the week, problem is neither author can write them as fast as I can read them

Enjoy your night time reading Mr & Mrs Bob, just keep it to yourself Porshie won't want to know what happens till she gets her own copy lol
    Been reading pratchett since the colour of magic/light fantastic, and he started writing utter rubbish a long time ago. He's also a stuck up pratt, I know for a fact, ive met him, and I have friends who ran a bookshop where he had a sighing session hes very far up his own bum bum.
    Whereas Ben elton brought his own butties and chatted for ages with staff.
    Pratchett, was a complete (Whats the handle called on a door).

<Just to encite Caithness envy!!> Picked up two copies at Asda this morning for £5.00 each. Didn't need to queue either. How much are they charging at Tesco's?

Snuck a quick look at the last page then gave them to my kids to read first.
    Rockchick

Time is an illusion, lunchtime doubly so (Douglas Adams)

*giggles* because ive never read any of the books i went straight to the last page.. and know who dies!! now i should really read the books
    http://itqueries.com/

Quote Originally Posted by changilass View Post
    Am I the only person who has never read one of these books, never seen any of the films and have no interest at all.

Give me a Disc World book or a Rebus anyday of the week, problem is neither author can write them as fast as I can read them
    Give me Discworld any day. Been reading them since the first (proper) one. Tried one of the Potter books but couldn't see the appeal. Didn't think muckle of the first film and never bothered after that.
    BUT anything that gets kids (and others) out of the TV/PC/Playstation and using their OWN imagination gets my vote! Go Ms Rowling!
    However, am I alone in thinking that some of Mr Potter's world seems a bit familiar...?
    Working On Behalf Of The Community!

Quote Originally Posted by robglysen View Post
    Been reading pratchett since the colour of magic/light fantastic, and he started writing utter rubbish a long time ago. He's also a stuck up pratt, I know for a fact, ive met him, and I have friends who ran a bookshop where he had a sighing session hes very far up his own bum bum.
    Whereas Ben elton brought his own butties and chatted for ages with staff.
    Pratchett, was a complete (Whats the handle called on a door).
    Nice to hear a subjective critique of literary works here.
    If you've been reading Terry Pratchett since the start, can we assume that you've read all his works, including the utter rubbish he's written since a long time ago?
    Mr Elton took his own butties..; What, didn't your friends supply the poor man with a bit of food since he'd turned up to help their shop? A sighing session? Chatted for ages with the staff: was that because no-one turned up for the sighing session? Sounds like your friends' bookshop was a bore, not Mr P!
    I notice that they ran a bookshop: maybe it's not surprising that they no longer run a bookshop...
    What is the handle called on a door..? I always thought it was called a handle. And what is a bum bum?
    Last edited by Tubthumper; 21-Jul-07 at 20:25. Reason: Rude bit out
    Working On Behalf Of The Community!

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

I got my book at 8am this morning and haven't had a ruddy chance to get further than the first 60 odd pages.
    I know you warned of spoilers but I couldn't help but read on.

Fred can't die! Say it isn't so!!!!!!!!!

Can't wait to see how it unfolds. Have to say, for me, the cheesiest ending would be an ending with next generation kids. That would make it sooooo obvious that JK intends to come back to it in a few years time, so I'd rather have world destruction than that. lol.
    Don't want to see Ron and Hermione get together neither, the whole group thing would be ridiculous if that actually happens.
    And of course I want Snape to end up being a good guy!

Finally, I think it's criminal that she killed off Hedwig and in such an awful way too. That's gonna bring about a few cries at the cinema!
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

http://thetenaciousgardener.blogspot.co.uk/

Oops! That last reply should have been in a different thread.
    I wasn't even in this thread so how did it end up here??????
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

http://thetenaciousgardener.blogspot.co.uk/

Phew! done. Had to put the book down at 5am 'cos my eyes were struggling to stay open. Managed to grab a few chapters here and there through the day but not until 6pm did I get the chance to sit and finish it off.

I will step out on a limb and say I like it. There's plenty happening (unlike Half Blood Prince IMO) and will, I believe, translate well into a film when the time comes.

A lot of loose ends are tied up throughout the book and, while the ending is a bit cliched and predictable, it is nonetheless a fitting end to such a successful series.

Was going to post a summary in white so it had to be highlighted for viewing but Mrs Bob threatened my very existence if I did LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by rockchick View Post
    <Just to encite Caithness envy!!> Picked up two copies at Asda this morning for £5.00 each. Didn't need to queue either. How much are they charging at Tesco's?

Snuck a quick look at the last page then gave them to my kids to read first.
    Tescos charging £10.00 or £5.00 with £50 00 worth of shopping, they have two covers, one for adults and one for kids and plenty of them

A good hug often helps

Smile

Got mine Saturday $27.95AUD You'll have to convert for yourselves to pounds
    Peeked at the last page just to see who was still alive!
    Gone back to the beginning and am enjoying every moment.
    And I'm 64 so share with my grandchildren.
    Ben Elton is great too.
    regards robyn
    Looking for Bain, Mowat(t), from Keiss-by-Wick

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12