Hello! I am a 4th year student from the University of Stirling looking to conduct social research on Caithness identity in relation to the Gaelic road signs within the region.

Identity means something different to each of us as individuals and as a community and through your stories and sentiments, I would be interested in discussing your views on topics such as Caithness culture and dialect, the landscape, regeneration and initiatives such as tourism and business. Caithness is a region that has been largely overlooked within social science research and I would be very appreciative of your input.

Interested in taking part in research? Research will be conducted through individual interviews (in person or online via Microsoft Teams) or as part of a small focus group of no more than 5 people. All in person interviews will be held within a public space to be agreed upon and are anonymous. I would be delighted to visit Caithness and interview both non-Gaelic and Gaelic speakers over the age of 18. I am looking to recruit participants between 22nd January and 5th February 2024. There will be no payment for taking part in this project, however, I would be happy to provide light refreshments while we chat.

Should you wish to take part in the study, please contact me by email: cam00667@students.stir.ac.uk

Further Information
Researcher: Carolyn Manson – undergraduate student of the Sociology, Social Policy, Criminology faculty of the University of Stirling.
Supervisor: ian.mcintosh@stir.ac.uk
The ethical approaches of this project have been approved through the University of Stirling General University Ethics Panel. Ethics Approval Reference: GUEP 2023 17273 12022