Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Groat vs Courier

spittalpunks Guest

Default Groat vs Courier

Heres a new ain

are these papers cack or what, which ones better???????

why do we need 2 when one would do and who reads those back slapping articles which are mince

Around with Rowe- ?????????????????

Pictish Navy- top laugh well done Geordie keep it up

The View from Here- View from Where??????????

Letter from orkney!!!!!! put it in the Orcadian min

The Brimister Saga - I ask u!!!!!!!!

The things 50% articles and 25% adverts trying to stop you going south for shopping

And as for the religious debate that rages in the letters page don't get me started

Noel Donaldson is also living in 1940s Wick that column is hilarious

Next year Noel finds out e Ice Cream Shop hiz closed

thats if he gets over the bridge paying his toll

The history stuffs no bad though in the paper by that Omand gadgie

Very funny spittalpunk, There was also an old fisher mannie in Thurso called Hootnah, he used to call the Courier the 2 minute silence.
    Nowadays i look forward to the Groat and the Courier. Although theres lots of stuff i just skim i wouldnt be without them. Im a bit uncomfortable with some of the sheriff court stuff. Occasionally theres a case where the person is clearly going through a crisis in life and the case will be graphically reported in the local paper. It seems like its more of a shame thing in a small community like ours, rather than any real news value. Just pure gossip even though it may well be true.
    Apart fom that i for one would miss either the Groat or Courier.

Anonymous Guest

I, like may would not miss either paper (just in case some news happens to appear in it one week) but as local newspapers go they absolutely suck!!!

After many years in the newspaper trade I have to say they are the worst example of local reporting I have ever seen. Just look at the content of the Orcadian, not a brilliant paper but at least there is something to read in it.

They should consider changing their format to pop tabloid and introduce colour. Many local papers that have changed from broadsheet to tabloid have improved in quality and sales.

Anonymous Guest

Default 2 minute silence

[quote="HEBLIX"]. On the other hand no end of space is made available to R. S. Shand and buddies for the pathetic tripe of creation- they should be in an institution

Hmmmmm HEBLIX, care to elaborate on your above staement.

Anonymous Guest

Default Adam and Eve and the Big Bang and Heblix

Hi Heblix, Of course i understand your reaction to it, but that is the point of the letters page to perhaps try and understand someone elses viewpoint on a particular topic or in the case of R. S. Shand and buddies to forcefully say their way is the right way.
    What really caught my attention in your response was your statement "pathetic tripe of creation". Thats a very powerful statement about a question pretty much fundamental to mans existance so i just wondered where you were coming from on the issue.
    If you dont know then thats ok, but if you do have an issue i would love to hear it.
    Maybe the letters page in the Groat would be a better place to say such things.
    I cant imagine Mr Shand and his buddies letting you off the hook so lightly.

justpassingthrough Guest

I stopped buying the Groat and Courier quite a while ago now, because there just isn't any news in either of them ( and they want 40-odd pence for the privelidge). Of course, its fun to read whos been fined £20 cos they never had a tv license, and nice to know whos had babies, but theres never any REAL news in it. And there just like the Wick Gala Week, same every year, 4 page wedding supplement the whole way through the summer, and Christmas shopping ideas in the winter, with agricultural stuff chucked in now and then. I think people just buy them in case they miss something, when they would probably get more crack standing in the post office queue to buy a stamp. Some of the stuff is pretty lightsome but most is pure dirge. I dont even like getting ma fish supper wrapped in them cos there aint even anything to read when Im eating ma chips!!
    The editors etc could do with looking at the free papers like the Metro that ye get doon Sooth.

Anonymous Guest

What do we want here? Heblix said the papers were "vastly out of touch" I would disagree with that to be honest. The thing is you cant have a local newspaper with jaw dropping stories unless jaw dropping things are happening. Seems to me that we get the sort of newspaper which reflects the sort of society we live in. The Manchester Evening News for example is full of exciting and horrifying stories, no doubt the Liverpool Echo is too and the London Standard. We dont have that sort of news. We have WRIs and School productions and births and deaths and people being fined in court for speeding and driving without insurance. We have the occasional "BIG" issue which keeps us all talking for a while. In short in caithness we have the sort of things going on that are reflected in the Groat.

If the editorial is a bit passe then so what...spittalpunks could offer his services to bring a column which is a little bit more contemporary. If the letters page debate on creation is so ridiculous then how come we all appear to have read it and are talking about it here? If the news is a bit boring well maybe heblix would like to commit the odd bank robbery or the odd murder to brighten things up. If not well then - can you really complain? Sometimes what is in the Groat and the Courier is funny, sometimes its ridiculous, sometimes its poor however it is very rarely frightening, alarming or shocking. Thank goodness for that.

Anonymous Guest

The Caithness Courier is the superior production. It has marvellous Ralph who is walking from Thurso to Wick (Poor soul - he's going in the wrong direction, it should be FROM Wick but never mind...). Ralph is obviously a man of enterprise and hardiness and is to be congratulated. Unlike the chap in Wick on the Journal who whines about the cost of weddings and then announces he's away for two weeks on his holiday. Ralph is made of sterner stuff I've no doubt. I can just see him hunkered down behind a flagstone fence out of the teeth of the gale writing in his special notebook with the waterproof paper. Ralph, you've got my vote.I think you should be syndicated and maybe appear in the Helmsdale newspaper. (Is there such a thing. Maybe I should start one...)

Anonymous Guest

Default Order Order

Hi Heblix..... Did you not read Squidges post? We get the news our community generates.
    I see you admit to having written for the Groat. I dont recall any major differences in editorial content in the last 100 years or so. Did your contribution fall on deaf eyes.....
    I think what has become obvious to me since you started whinging on this thread is the extent of your prejiduces. On the one hand you say folks should be locked up for their views on something that you very obviously hold extreme views about and when challenged you revert to the old oh no not me rubbish.
    You seem to hold very personal and prejudiced views about who you see responsible for the lack of imagination in putting the 2 papers together. Thats fine with me but if your going to air those views on a public forum, then be prepered to be challenged.
    In the words of John Major......Put up or shut up!

Default groat or courier

Who OWNS these papers. That might affect the coverage. As for news. News is whatever journalists say it is. Apart from huge affairs like wars or elections or plagues, about 80% of what goes into newspapers is there because the people who write for the paper, or the people who own it, find it to be of interest. Here's a simple experiment. Stop reading newspapers for a month. Will you have missed anything vital? No. But you'll miss a lot of fun and games...The big criticism of small town newspapers is that they tell you what's on at the movies, when the Womens' Rural Institute is holding its next bake sale and that's about it.
    That's where guys like Ralph are important. He has a passion and he communicates it. There must be other people in the communities of Wick or Thurso with equivalent passions. Where is the angling reporter? Where is the loony ecologist? Where the cookery column and the knitting patterns? Where the CD reviews?
    I'll tell you where. On the Caithness Org - if not today then tomorrow given Bill Fernie's eclectic talent spotting.
    But you can't prop the org up on a restaurant table and read it over lunch, or stuff it in your backpack to read on the commute home, or line the budgie's cage with it.
    So let me make a suggestion. Go and write a piece for your local newspaper. Bombard the editor with suggestions. He/she would most likely be delighted to receive it.
    Go on. Do it. Right now! Make your paper more fun.

hey Rich

Thats a great idea - dyou think they would be interested in Maud and Coco?

Anonymous Guest

Ooooh yes!!! Maud and Coco! I'm all for that, lol!

Default Papers

I like the articles by Bruce Sandison in the Groat.....a bit of satire - reminiscent of George Mikes, author of that hilarious book about the English "How to be an Alien".
    Re the Creation bit. I believe in Creation and have answered Shand in the past...but found there was no point. Discussion on any subject is great but he does not take in what the other person is really saying....he just rants on and attacks anyone with a different point of view....so it is no longer a discussion. I don't mind people disagreeing with my view - as long as they also have valid points to make.
    One thing that makes me groan is the Letter writers who start,
    "May I through the medium of your pages...." or something like that.....totally superfluous. The editor could cut those bits.
    I don't always read the papers.......so can't groan too much!

spittalpunks Guest

Write a column sorry to busy cleaning floors to sink that far down ha ha damn I missed a bit!!!!!!

If I wanted a Creation debate' I would have asked yon Dr Georgergueroau or whatever his name was to fire in about hid but I didnae

Ended up like the letters page ha ha

Anyway I must agree most articles are just 'look at me I am the man' aye right get a job with the Times old chap use your old schooltie network

Its way behind the Northerm Times, Ross-shire Journal etc and papers like the Metro which is free

anyroad 52p and 46p Dick Turpin would be ashamed to charge that

Anonymous Guest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast