Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dogs for first time owners

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerpebble View Post
    what breeds of dogs do you recommend for people who have not owned a dog before. We were thinking of a smaller breed due to the size of the house, although we do have a big garden.

Hi Cookerpebble,

I love spaniels, a springer is about as good a dog as you can get.

Where do you live, in a village, town or in the sticks?

I ask because you mention having a big garden, and this means lucky doggie could have a good run, just wondering if you have neighbours who might have a problem with a wee bit of barking.

I applaud you in deciding to get a rescue dog. You might also look in Scot Ads and the paper, as often people with genuine reasons are wanting to rehome a dog free to a good home, and you would get to find out more than usual about the dogs history.

I currently have two rescue dogs that were long term residents at the SPCA due to 'behavioural' problems.

Both are settled, happy and disciplined pets now.

I think dogs are able to adjust to new lifestyles as well as surroundings, but some breeds are inately quieter, more independent, easier to train, etc. so if you consider the lifestyle it will have with you it will narrow down the choice of breed.

Then so could a visit to the local dog pound, one will probably just shout out at you and that will be that!

before you decide get the book.. perfect puppy by gwen bailey. its invaluable and will keep you right. available on amazon or Pets at home.

I have had 2 rescue dogs, 1 was an amazing collie cross spaniel who had a few problems at the start but soon adapted to family life and became the most loved dog I have ever had.When we lost her to cancer we went and bought a cocker puppy which went disaterously...poor thing had cocker rage syndrome and attacked our 18mth old baby leaving very bad bites!Needless to say we rehomed the puppy.After that we waited over a year before trying again and rehomed a lab cross,it was a total disaster too and never really settled into family life,it was a lovely dog but please be aware that some dogs are being rehomed because they have problem and you may not always be told that!After a few years dog free I caved in again and bought another cocker and this puppy turned out to be the best thing I ever did.She is loving,willing,stupid as the day is long but she is mine and I love her to bits.Good luck with your search x
    The nice thing about living in a small place is that if you dont know what you are doing....there's always somebody who does,or thinks they do! x

cocker spaniel would recommend all the ones (including ours) that i have met are the most gorgeous easily trained pets

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerpebble View Post
    what breeds of dogs do you recommend for people who have not owned a dog before. We were thinking of a smaller breed due to the size of the house, although we do have a big garden.
    I would seriously consider a Border Collie, regardless of their size they are very careful dogs and definately not known for their clumsiness as they are always very aware of their surroundings, they are the smartest dogs that I know of and I have known many different breeds and have experience in dog training. Collies in general need very little training and you may consider miniature collies, although from experience thay can be a bit "Yappy" so if you don't want a lot of noise that may not be for you. I have a pure Scottish Border Collie and he has the tempereament of a saint and loves to be around Children.

If I didn't have a Collie and wanted a good, well behaved dog I woudl go for a Labrador, black or golden whichever suits you, also very nice dog with great temperaments, but they are kinda big.

Spaniels are great dogs, but like Pointers and Setters not as easy to train as others, but not overly tasking and they are very loving and loyal, just my own opinion though they need a lot of attention and wouldn't be my first recomendation for a first time owner. I woudl get myself a Collie.

Quote Originally Posted by Boozeburglar View Post
    Jeemag is pretty clear on the fact that this is a temporary measure to get the dog to subconciously associate the NO command, whatever one is used. He is clear it is not done in such a way as to hurt the dog, it is really no different to tapping your dog on the nose with a paper, or shaking a tin of pebbles.

He never suggested the dog receives no positive reinforcement.

Rubbish about it leading to an unstable dog.

Might not be any different to tapping a dog on the nose but I wouldn't recommend doing that either!
    Why would anyone want to tap an animal anywhere let alone on a part of the body that is most sensitive???? The mind boggles!!

How can anyone suggest that 'It is done in such a way as to not hurt the dog'? How do you know it doesn't hurt the dog? Would someone tapping your nose not hurt? Would you appreciate someone tapping it just to let you know they're not happy with your behaviour?

Would this behaviour not lead you to become at the least unstable around the person inflicting the 'tapping'.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

http://thetenaciousgardener.blogspot.co.uk/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12