Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Festival of Falconry

Default Captive birds

I totaly agree.

And like someone said at one point dogs were not kept in captivity and that is considered normal now. And Im sure people would agree dogs are better off now than they were hundreds of years ago.

Just because you see something in captivity that you do not often see does not mean its crule.

Quote Originally Posted by porshiepoo View Post
    Could you walk by an injured animal and say 'Let nature take it's course?'.
    I always take the wildlife reporter's view on these things, ie, leave well alone, it is the kindest thing, an injured bird will always be eaten by maggots which in turn will provide a meal for a higher order of animal, ad infinitum. Nature will always bite you back harder for fighting against it. An injured animal that is taken in by a human on 'humanitarian terms' will have an astronomical carbon footprint. We are supposed to be living in harmony with nature....
    Last edited by Rheghead; 18-Jul-07 at 23:29.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead View Post
    I always take the wildlife reporter's view on these things, ie, leave well alone, it is the kindest thing, an injured bird will always be eaten by maggots which in turn will provide a meal for a higher order of animal, ad infinitum. Nature will always bite you back harder for fighting against it. An injured animal that is taken in by a human on 'humanitarian terms' will have an astronomical carbon footprint. We are supposed to be living in harmony with nature....

If you have a pet how would you feel if someone seen it lying dying somewhere and thought well it was ment to be and walked off!!!

If a human fell and broke a leg for example are we suppose to leave them to die. In my mind human and animals no mater what type of animal have the right to live and if i can help a sick animal or human i would. Would you not?

Quote Originally Posted by minni85 View Post
    If you have a pet how would you feel if someone seen it lying dying somewhere and thought well it was ment to be and walked off!!!

If a human fell and broke a leg for example are we suppose to leave them to die. In my mind human and animals no mater what type of animal have the right to live and if i can help a sick animal or human i would. Would you not?
    It is a case of 'duty of care'. Pets are by definition, domesticated animals. We have a duty of care over them, they are not wild They are bred for mankind's purpose. BoP are not. They are wildbirds, not breeds of birds.

I wouldn't try to help a wild animal, I learned that from trying to.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

This subject could be argued till the end of days and perhaps that's as it should be. Everyone has and is entitled to their own opinion on the matter, each one right in their own views.

I do understand part of Rhegheads theory regarding BOP, I really do hate to see them in aviaries, however, I can also see the bigger picture.
    These animals that are now in captivity can help to educate and raise the profile of BOP and in the long term maybe that can help to reduce the amount of uneccessary trappings and killings due to uneducated peoples belief as to what these animals do and don't do. Maybe the general public will be educated more about what is and isn't acceptable for these birds and will be less likely to turn a 'blind eye' and less likely to see them as vermin (yes, people actually do). And maybe, just maybe, making these birds more accessible will help in some small way to reduce the amount of stolen eggs from the wild? Yes, people will probably always do this due to the money that is involved in some species but if it helps to educate people into even a 10% drop in these kind of thefts then surely it has to be of benefit to the wild population? After all, theft and trapping / poisoning etc is hardly nature is it!
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

http://thetenaciousgardener.blogspot.co.uk/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12