Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Reports of the death of Indy have been greatly exaggerated.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Reports of the death of Indy have been greatly exaggerated.

Some recent poll results, as collated by Ballot Box Scotland, may be of interest.

The latest information contains the results of eight recent polls on the subject of Scottish independence. It is interesting to note that support for independence, in every one of those polls, is at or above the IndyRef1 result.

Quote Originally Posted by Corky Smeek View Post
    Some recent poll results, as collated by Ballot Box Scotland, may be of interest.

The latest information contains the results of eight recent polls on the subject of Scottish independence. It is interesting to note that support for independence, in every one of those polls, is at or above the IndyRef1 result.
    Maybe slightly higher than 2014, but still nowhere near the 50%+1 needed.

Thought I'd post this extract from your link Corky, saves people a bit of time.You would have thought after everything that has gone on since 2014, what with Brexit, Boris, Liz etc, the support would have rocketed. The fact that it's barely moved, shows most Scots are pretty content with the status quo.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture2.JPG 
Views:	66 
Size:	64.1 KB 
ID:	35962

My point was that, despite the best (worst) efforts of the MSM to convince everyone that Indy is dead in the water; it isn't.

YES is a movement and the SNP are only one of the contributors (albeit the largest one). So despite the recent travails of the SNP, support for Indy has not diminished. Like so many unionists, the MSM see YES and the SNP as one and the same thing when clearly they are not. Who knows what will happen to the SNP but one thing I feel for sure is that their place will be taken by another organisation/party.

In short: we are not going away. Our day will come.

PS: How many motorhomes do you think you could buy for the price of the coronation?

Not sure on your take on the BBC (whether they are a trusted source or not), but thought this was interesting news a day after your post. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-65425495

Highlights in case you don't want to read it.

Sir John Curtice, professor of politics at Strathclyde University, told the BBC: "The realisation has dawned on them that while support for independence has tended to be higher than it was in 2014, it tends to be just below 50%.

"If you want to win a referendum - and clearly make the case a referendum is justified - you need to start well ahead."

Support for Scottish independence needs to be higher and more consistent to force another referendum, the new SNP leadership believes.

​If they could improve this country for all, not just the poorest, then maybe a few tax payers may consider voting for indy...That's my view, not the SNP's or Sir JC

I am a great admirer of Prof. Curtis and I think he has pretty much hit the nail square on the head.

BUT, he is just stating numbers not the reasons for the numbers. The Independence cause never gets a fair hearing within the media. Virtually the entire weight of the MSM falls behind the case for the Union. Faced with the relentless bombardment from the media I think the fact that support for YES is remaining solid (if static) is remarkable.

It is a propaganda war and one side has control over what news we are allowed to see/hear. That's not only the case with Indy but so many other aspects of our lives where vested interests control the political agenda. Life under the current Tory government is ample proof of where real power lies; and it ain't in Westminster.

I'm disappointed by your last sentence. Surely the mark of a civilised nation is the degree to which the most disadvantaged members of the population are looked after by the state. I don't mean a "free pass" but just a safety net which stops them falling even further. The richest and happiest countries in the world all have first class social responsibility policies. It is a false economy to allow the poor to get poorer. One of the things I despise about the UK is the way successive governments have failed in their primary responsibility of protecting and looking after their population. All too often the interests of the few take precedence over the interests of the many.