Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Mowat or Horne

Anonymous Guest

I am related to both the horne Family and the Mowatt family from Caithness. Having difficulty finding anything much about these families

John Horne married Elizabeth Williamson 1783. They had several children one of whome was Donald b 20 May 1787. He married an Esther Mowat b 1796

They had a daughter margaret, b4 aug 1823(my GGGrandmother)who married my GG Grandfather, Donald Macleod. He was born 1819 and died at sea in 1857 Can anyone help???????

Anonymous Guest

There are lots of Horne descendants around Latheron/Dunbeath area, I am related 2-3 generations back on my mothers side to some Hornes but this may not be the same family!

Default Horne/Mowat/Macleod

I m related to these families too and have had some difficulty finding the death of Donald Macleod at sea in 1857. Donald died before the birth of his son in 1857 but no Death record seem to have a record of his death that year.

I have some details of the family history of the Macleod/Horne/Mowat families as they relate to me - my maternal grandmother was a Macleod. Margaret Macleod nee Horne was my GGG grandmother too.

Would be pleased to hear from anyone who has an intertest in these families or has info on recording deaths at sea.
    Last edited by chrisp; 14-Jan-09 at 17:40. Reason: Typos

Default 1857 Death at sea

Have you tried the Archives at Wick Library for information of this Death at Sea. They have records of John O Groat Journal
    which might add something to your search. Worth a try. There will be a small charge for the search.

Trinkie

Default Mowat or Horne

Thanks for all the advice but tried all these already.

C

Is it the Hornes of stirkoke that you are interrested in?
    Live for today as tomorrow may never come