Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Deflection?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Deflection?

I read our FM is trying to redirect the public's attention away from the SNP's woes and get them worked up about 'bad' Westminster. It might work for the die hard fans, but I bet the ex-Labour supporters can see through it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotla...itics-65249431

Quote Originally Posted by Goodfellers View Post
    I read our FM is trying to redirect the public's attention away from the SNP's woes and get them worked up about 'bad' Westminster. It might work for the die hard fans, but I bet the ex-Labour supporters can see through it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotla...itics-65249431
    Hazna isn't reading the room very well here, there are a hell of a lot of folk against this stupid bill.
    W.A.T.P.

He headed for this particular corner quite willingly it seems and so left himself no choice.

I hope HY releases the legal advice that says this course of action is merited as no doubt it will be tax payers money used to fund this folly. He did say he would persue legal action after he'd taken advice. I know it will play well with many SNP supporters and apparently the Greens were threatening to withdraw from power sharing if he didn't challenge Westminster. Maybe, if the Scottish gov lose, and the legal advice was not to challenge the section 35 order, HY could ask SNP supporters for some more cash and pay legal fees that way....or maybe put an expensive motorhome on Autotrader.
    Last edited by Goodfellers; 13-Apr-23 at 08:23. Reason: clumsy fingers

What are you complaining about here? The comments above throw little light on the matter. Are you against the gender reforms or are you against the SG challenging HMG over their interference in Scottish affairs. It's probably both knowing the views of some of you.

In a properly functioning democracy it is likely that every piece of proposed legislation will face opposition. That is the partisan nature of multi-party politics after all. However, we must also accept that a governing party will secure its legislative programme if it can garner a majority of support for it in parliament.

I have reservations about the SG's gender reform legislation. BUT, I demand the right for my parliament to pass the legislation it sees fit even if it is bad legislation. If due parliamentary process is followed then, surely no other body has the right to intervene in that legislative process.

This is a matter of principle that goes to the heart of democracy in Scotland and I demand the right for us to be able to make our own mistakes in exactly the same way every other country can.

Quote Originally Posted by Corky Smeek View Post
    What are you complaining about here? The comments above throw little light on the matter. Are you against the gender reforms or are you against the SG challenging HMG over their interference in Scottish affairs. It's probably both knowing the views of some of you.

In a properly functioning democracy it is likely that every piece of proposed legislation will face opposition. That is the partisan nature of multi-party politics after all. However, we must also accept that a governing party will secure its legislative programme if it can garner a majority of support for it in parliament.

I have reservations about the SG's gender reform legislation. BUT, I demand the right for my parliament to pass the legislation it sees fit even if it is bad legislation. If due parliamentary process is followed then, surely no other body has the right to intervene in that legislative process.

This is a matter of principle that goes to the heart of democracy in Scotland and I demand the right for us to be able to make our own mistakes in exactly the same way every other country can.
    Corky, you sound just like the Brexiteers.

Many of them were complaining that EU laws prevented the UK from adopting certain laws. You need to remember that if Scotland ever got independence and wanted to join the EU.

It's the same principle here, Scotland has to abide by UK law first and foremost.