Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Gary Lineker.

Default Gary Lineker.

I am amazed the ‘carry on’ over the above named person.
    And he is paid £2 Million for his Saturday commentary!
    How can this be?
    The BBC a Crown Corporation…I understand….does this?
    In the UK people would watch Sport, no matter who is giving an opinion.
    And then he made atrocious comments…gets suspended and the World goes Nuts!

Time for a ‘re-boot’, in my opinion!

Horseman, how many times? How many times have you posted on here and all you have done is reveal the vast gaps in your knowledge and understanding of a topic? This is another example of that. Please do some more, broadly-based reading around the subject.

Ohhhh Corky…
    Come into The Real World…….The Hero Worship is unbefitting of you!

Let me be clear I don't follow football; I don't particularly like Gary Lineker but I do believe in the right to freedom of speach.
    Last week, Gary Lineker wrote on Twitter about a video in which home secretary Suella Braverman unveiled plans to stop migrants crossing the English Channel on small boats and said the UK is being “overwhelmed”.
    Braverman, who was previously reprimanded for comparing migrant crossings to an ‘invasion’, has been heavily criticised for her use of language around this issue.
    “Good heavens, this is beyond awful,” Lineker wrote in response to the video. “This is just an immeasurably cruel policy directed at the most vulnerable people in language that is not dissimilar to that used by Germany in the 30s.”
    Let’s be clear the UK takes fewer refugees and asylum seekers than any other major Western European countries.
    The UK has effectively closed all routes to anyone seeking refuge in the UK; from the House of Lords Library; “To claim asylum in the UK, a person must be physically in the UK. It is not possible to apply from outside the country, and there is no asylum visa. A person cannot obtain a visa with the explicit purpose of seeking asylum. Therefore, for individuals who do not have visa-free travel to the UK, they must enter either irregularly, such as by a small boat; by using false documents; or on a visa for some other purpose, such as tourism or study.”
    Notice the use of the word ‘irregularly’. It is not illegal in International Law to use a small boat to cross the English Channel to seek asylum.
    Whichever way you look at it the current Westminster government is following the 1930s Nazi playbook. Control the MSM, curb the right to protest with the new Police Bill, rescind the ECHR and find a vulnerable group to blame for all the country’s ills.
    Thankfully people are beginning to wake up to what is happening.
    'We are more alike, my friends, than we are unalike.'
    Maya Angelou

Quote Originally Posted by Gronnuck View Post
    Let me be clear I don't follow football; I don't particularly like Gary Lineker but I do believe in the right to freedom of speach.
    Last week, Gary Lineker wrote on Twitter about a video in which home secretary Suella Braverman unveiled plans to stop migrants crossing the English Channel on small boats and said the UK is being “overwhelmed”.
    Braverman, who was previously reprimanded for comparing migrant crossings to an ‘invasion’, has been heavily criticised for her use of language around this issue.
    “Good heavens, this is beyond awful,” Lineker wrote in response to the video. “This is just an immeasurably cruel policy directed at the most vulnerable people in language that is not dissimilar to that used by Germany in the 30s.”
    Let’s be clear the UK takes fewer refugees and asylum seekers than any other major Western European countries.
    The UK has effectively closed all routes to anyone seeking refuge in the UK; from the House of Lords Library; “To claim asylum in the UK, a person must be physically in the UK. It is not possible to apply from outside the country, and there is no asylum visa. A person cannot obtain a visa with the explicit purpose of seeking asylum. Therefore, for individuals who do not have visa-free travel to the UK, they must enter either irregularly, such as by a small boat; by using false documents; or on a visa for some other purpose, such as tourism or study.”
    Notice the use of the word ‘irregularly’. It is not illegal in International Law to use a small boat to cross the English Channel to seek asylum.
    Whichever way you look at it the current Westminster government is following the 1930s Nazi playbook. Control the MSM, curb the right to protest with the new Police Bill, rescind the ECHR and find a vulnerable group to blame for all the country’s ills.
    Thankfully people are beginning to wake up to what is happening.
    I think the 'problem' is the BBC's conditions, now under review. If Gary accepted these terms, then he has to abide by them, or go and work for a different broadcaster. Hopefully the review now underway, will make the situation in the future clearer for all staff.

Many organisations, including Scottish government departments, have clauses that limit what you can say on social media. It's not uncommon.

If Gary Lineker had to accept these terms then presumably all the other front of camera talent had to do the same. Seems strange, therefore, that social media posts by a whole host of right-wing celebrities have gone unpunished and un-commented upon by the MSM.

Could it be, perhaps, that the rumours of Tory government interference in the running of the BBC are true? After all, both the Director General and Chair of the organisation are well known tory supporters and in one case a party donor.

The BBC has been made to look ridiculous and had to climb down for fear of Match of the Day going down the tubes. It should never have happened in my view at least and the BBC needs to get its own house in order. Gary Lineker's views are my views anyway and I agree with what Gronnuck and Corky have said.

Quote Originally Posted by Goodfellers View Post
    I think the 'problem' is the BBC's conditions, now under review. If Gary accepted these terms, then he has to abide by them, or go and work for a different broadcaster. Hopefully the review now underway, will make the situation in the future clearer for all staff.

Many organisations, including Scottish government departments, have clauses that limit what you can say on social media. It's not uncommon.
    Gary Lineker did not make these comments on MOTD, BBC TV or radio, but on his personal Twitter account. It is debateable whether he could be guilty of bringing the BBC into disrepute.

We should perhaps examine the staggering hypocrisy of the BBC Management where the current chairman Richard Sharp made a £400,000 donation to the Tory party and then aided Boris Johnson in getting an £800,000 loan just prior to his appointment to the BBC.

IMHO the BBC have hung their coat on a shoogly peg.
    Maya Angelou

Some examples of the BBC's staggering hypocrisy:-

Lord Sugar has previously tweeted urging people to vote Tory. He even posted a (now deleted) mocked-up image of Jeremy Corbyn sitting next to Adolf Hitler. Lord Sugar was allowed to do this unhindered.

Michael Portillo was allowed to make his train journey series whilst still writing a political column in a newspaper.

Andrew Neil regularly used his Twitter account, whilst working for the BBC, to criticise the SNP and to make known his views on Brexit. He was also the chair of the right wing news magazine The Spectator despite being a very prominent BBC political commentator. Despite this he never faced any real scrutiny over his overtly political actions. He has since gone on to found the right wing TV news outlet GB News.

There are other examples but these are three of the most egregious.

Oh, and the other person I forgot to metion earlier:- Robbie Gibb, who was Theresa May's Communications Officer when she was PM is now a non-executive director of the BBC.

Quote Originally Posted by Corky Smeek View Post
    Some examples of the BBC's staggering hypocrisy:-

Lord Sugar has previously tweeted urging people to vote Tory. He even posted a (now deleted) mocked-up image of Jeremy Corbyn sitting next to Adolf Hitler. Lord Sugar was allowed to do this unhindered.

Michael Portillo was allowed to make his train journey series whilst still writing a political column in a newspaper.

Andrew Neil regularly used his Twitter account, whilst working for the BBC, to criticise the SNP and to make known his views on Brexit. He was also the chair of the right wing news magazine The Spectator despite being a very prominent BBC political commentator. Despite this he never faced any real scrutiny over his overtly political actions. He has since gone on to found the right wing TV news outlet GB News.

There are other examples but these are three of the most egregious.

Oh, and the other person I forgot to metion earlier:- Robbie Gibb, who was Theresa May's Communications Officer when she was PM is now a non-executive director of the BBC.
    Just a few of the reasons why I refuse to pay the BBC TV Tax
    Maya Angelou

Some rather strange responses……
    Lineker has 8.8 Million followers on Twitter. Thus, he would be someone who would have some influence/much influence.

Your Gov’t, like many others, are attempting to Stop Illegal Immigration, and therefor have enacted a Law to do so!
    He was’ censured’ for not respecting that Law, and he is now back on BBC, having agreed not to say/do anything about it until a ‘Full Review’ is done.
    When he worked for The BBC, his Employer, earning £2 Million per annum, he agreed to certain conditions. Just because he likely thought that he could go against The Will of his Government he, according to The BBC, contravened his working agreement!
    They now have an agreement in place that he says nothing, he is back at bis job, ‘Toeing The Line’ and ‘time will tell’.
    Will he come back permanently? Maybe!

On the Immigration Issue……Do you want to be overrun with people who have no jobs, no money, some are Criminals!
    Just think about your Health Care Services……Just think that you will be unable to see a Dr or Dentist, as they will be looking after other people.
    I am an Immigrant, going thru the proper channels, as should everyone else!
    Last edited by The Horseman; 18-Mar-23 at 23:14.

Mr Lineker has lost his Voice! What does that mean? Really?

Was just reading another 29 people lost their lives off the Tunisian Coast, attempting to make a new life!
    When people realize that they will not be able to land, and perhaps shipped back from ‘whence they came’, more lives will be saved.
    I took over a year to get accepted into Canada. We are taking over 1 million immigrants each year.
    Food for thought.

You might like to read about the response of a small Welsh town called Llantwit Major. You might perhaps learn something new.

Quote Originally Posted by Fulmar View Post
    You might like to read about the response of a small Welsh town called Llantwit Major. You might perhaps learn something new.
    I don’t understand…..
    Perhaps clarify………ty

Fulmar…Spit it out!
    Say what you are trying to say!…….Clarify!