Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Indy poll result.

Default Latest Indy poll result.

I know certain 'Yes' supporters love Sir John Curtice and quote him, so hopefully they wont 'diss' his latest offering on the way things are going.

LAST year’s spike in support of independence has “proven to be temporary,” Professor Sir John Curtice has said. The leading psephologist was speaking after a new poll put Yes on 46 per cent. The Survation survey, carried out for True North, found that 54% of voters wanted to stay in the UK. Following November's ruling that the Scottish Parliament could not hold a referendum without the consent of Westminster, a slew of polls put Yes ahead. However, the academic said that now that the dust had settled after the verdict little had changed since last summer. https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-b2266095.html

So, the temporary indignation at the Supreme Court ruling has subsided.

Looks like Corky Smeek will be keeping that name for many years to come.

Happy belated New Year everyone.

Interesting that all the in-your-face, BritNat triumphalism following the Supreme Court's ruling subsided very quickly and that little if anything had been heard from any of them these past couple of months. Then, all of a sudden, a re-appearance is made when they get a poll in their favour. No doubt more jumping up and down; hysterical flag-waving and photoshopped images of major figures in the Indy movement wearing UJs will follow.

Well, I had thought that there would be the customary, sneering response from the uber Yoons to my last post on this thread. Then I discovered the reason why:-

Latest independence poll puts support for Yes on 54 per cent

Quote Originally Posted by Corky Smeek View Post
    Well, I had thought that there would be the customary, sneering response from the uber Yoons to my last post on this thread. Then I discovered the reason why:-

Latest independence poll puts support for Yes on 54 per cent
    https://www.scottishlegal.com/articl...ffensive-terms

Just wondering; is it OK to use the term "snowflake"?

Just wondering; is it OK to use the term "snowflake"?

I think 'yoons' and 'natzi's' are both offensive terms that the site administrators should ensure are not used. If Ofcom consider the terms offencive, then so should we.

I thought this was a thread about Indy polling. Are you, by any chance, trying to deflect attention away from the fact that you were a bit precipitate in posting such a triumphalist thread?

But I'll indulge you a little further; just for the sake of clarification, you understand.

Am I to understand that you think a re-spelled, abbreviation of the word Unionist is equally as offensive as using a term laden with associations to what happened in the 3rd Reich? A sense of proportion, please.

I thought this was a thread about Indy polling. Are you, by any chance, trying to deflect attention away from the fact that you were a bit precipitate in posting such a triumphalist thread?

But I'll indulge you a little further; just for the sake of clarification, you understand.

Am I to understand that you think a re-spelled, abbreviation of the word Unionist is equally as offensive as using a term laden with associations to what happened in the 3rd Reich? A sense of proportion, please.

In no way is Yoon an abbreviatedversion of Unionist. Paki is a true abreviation of Pakistan. Would you consider that an acceptable abbreviation?

Yoon is accepted as an insult. You know it and I know it, as does Ofcom.

To the best of my knowledge my definition is exactly what Yoon means. If you know otherwise please show me. In the meantime this is an extract from the Collins English dictionary:-

Yoon
    New Word Suggestion
    a person in favour of Scotland's union with the rest of the UK
    Additional Information
    [C21: short for unionist]

Did you see that last wee bit - "short for unionist" or as I said, an abbreviation.

You know it and I know it but why let that get in the way of mischief-making.

To the best of my knowledge my definition is exactly what Yoon means. If you know otherwise please show me. In the meantime this is an extract from the Collins English dictionary:-

Yoon
    New Word Suggestion
    a person in favour of Scotland's union with the rest of the UK
    Additional Information
    [C21: short for unionist]

Did you see that last wee bit - "short for unionist" or as I said, an abbreviation.

You know it and I know it but why let that get in the way of mischief-making.

You can try and squirm your way out of it but Ofcom, who regulate what you can and can't say deem it offensive. Not too interested in Collins....you failed to mention that Collins say "Approval Status: Pending Investigation". Did you know Collins also has the word 'Nigger'

Extract from your favorite rag, The National ...However “Yoon”, short for Unionist, was classed as moderately offensive. Ofcom stated this word has “greater potential for offence than mild words and a higher level of context should be considered”.https://www.thenational.scot/news/19...ve-words-list/

I may test out Ofcom, no point in site admin as we all know their views on Unionist suppporters.

Hahaha!

Oh jings, what to say now!

It's probably worth starting by asking what you think the word "yoon" means and why you are so offended by it. That is apart from the fact that you are using your offence to distract from the real substance of this thread.

You seems to be suggesting that we ignore one of the world's most respected dictionaries in favour of a decision made by the UK's communications regulator. There is no hint in the dictionary that the word is anything other than a modern term for the word "Unionist". If you are so offended at being called a unionist I'm not that surprised. I would be grossly offended too. But, how should we refer to you then if not as a Unionist?

It is also worth noting that Collins dictionaries are published in Glasgow so if there were any real debate about the meaning then they could not be in a better place to get to the heart of the matter. I also find it curious that you say the dictionary includes the "N" word, (which, unlike you I will not write in full) as though that is somehow going to diminish the status of the book and boost your argument. It's a dictionary for goodness sake. It contains definitions of words; for adults to use. It's not the Dictionary of Nice Words or the Ladybird Book of Fluffy, Cuddly Words. It will contains lots of words some of which may be offensive to some people. What do you suggest we use when we need a definition of a word? It's certainly not OFCOM who have lots of other jobs to think about.

Anyway, not content with previously reporting me to the site admin'; dissing the site admin' in your last post; threatening to call the police on me; demanding that I don't refer to you as a Unionist you are now contemplating raising the matter of me using the word "yoon" (which remember Collins defines as an abbreviated term for Unionist) with OFCOM.

Dear oh dear! You really must be worried that Indy is coming if you are trying that hard to shut down debate and limit freedom of speech.

OK, with that sorted we really should return to the main topic of this thread, namely the latest polls on Scottish Independence. Any further thoughts on that subject?

Now ‘that was a lot’ about Nothing!
    Brilliant.

Oops

The latest YouGov poll, of 1,088 voters in Scotland from January 23 to January 26, found that Sturgeon’s approval rating had slipped into negative territory, from +7 to -4, since October. In the space of a month, support for the SNP in the next Scottish parliament election had fallen from 50 per cent to 44 per cent in the constituency vote, and from 40 per cent to 36 per cent in the regional vote. The poll also showed a reversal on the independence question over past month, with support for secession down from 53 per cent to 47 per cent among those expressing a view — the lowest since last spring.

Wonder why that was

SNP, Sturgeon and independence fall in poll after Isla Bryson trans prisoner row

Just for you as well Goodfellers seeing as you quoted the man at the start of this thread

Sir John Curtice, professor of politics at Strathclyde University, said: “While the decline in support for independence is likely to be part of the explanation, it looks as though the battering the Scottish government has suffered in recent weeks, and especially on the issue of transgender prisoners, may also have taken its toll on SNP support.”
    If all is not lost, where is it?

Please could you post a link to your source for this survey. Thanks

The report is on the front page of the Sunday Times and was a survey by YOU GOV carried out for that paper.

Thanks Fulmar.

The reason I asked is that the article is behind the Sunday Times paywall so I can't read it. Also, I'm a member of YouGov and I cannot find a mention of the survey on their site. I was hoping for a direct link to the survey results.

I'll keep looking.

Thanks Fulmar.

The reason I asked is that the article is behind the Sunday Times paywall so I can't read it. Also, I'm a member of YouGov and I cannot find a mention of the survey on their site. I was hoping for a direct link to the survey results.

I'll keep looking.
    Corky, the same story, literally word for word in a paper you're not keen on https://www.heraldscotland.com/polit...-independence/

This is the Times story, https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/s...-row-5j3pqr7s5 as you say behind a paywall, but if you right click, then click 'Read Aloud' or Ctrl +Shift + U you can listen for free....Works with almost all paywall sites. Hope that helps.

I think that when a survey is carried out for a particular organisation, they 'own' the results, that's probably why you wont find the survey on YouGov site. Its then up to the 'owner' of the poll to decide whether to publish or not.

Imagine the SNP asking youGov to do a survey on their behalf and the results were massivly in favour of the union, the SNP would not publish that particular survey, and vice versa with pro unionist organisations.

BTW I was asked by YouGov yesterday to fill in a questionaire regarding Scottish government and independance...1st time ever and I've been a member for years!

Thank you Goodfellers.

As to YouGov (and all the other polling organisations) they build up profiles of members based upon responses to surveys. They will know our respective views on a whole list of topics which means they probably know that asking the membership base wouldn't produce a balanced result. I have only been asked a couple of times in my many years of membership and those were both more than 5 years ago.

Link to article

https://archive.is/OM0zs
    If all is not lost, where is it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast