Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SNP to Hold Special Conference 2023.

Default SNP to Hold Special Conference 2023.

Another ‘Go’ at Independence!
    But this time a New Statistic…….
    This time, they could have a YES Majority, if they didn't include ‘The Undecided Voters’! Huh?

It is written…The SNP is Desperately seeking Relevance! And another go at spending £Millions.

I do not think that it is irrelevant at all for the SNP to do this as they have said that this is what they are about and they will be (presumably) seeking the best way forward with regard to the next GE and possibly another referendum. The fact that the population is split (although 4 polls now have shown growing support and a small majority for their position) and some don't agree is neither here nor there, at least in my view.
    The telling poll for me is that 72% of 16 to 24 year olds in Scotland are wanting independence. They are the people who will be carrying it forward for years to come if and when it happens and not the old people who have had their chance!

Well said Fulmar, on all counts.

These actions are consistent with the party's manifesto upon which it was elected. I was actually reading Paul Kavanagh's blog earlier on and he claims there have now been 7 polls in a row showing a majority for Indy.

I do think it is very telling that the younger generation are so pro-Indy. Polls consistently show their overwhelming support for it and I do feel all of us old farts need to heed what they are telling us.

Both of U…..
    To me and to ‘most’ people, they/you are going from one failure to another!
    I read 5 (Five) Polls that said Yeah, with the Caveat……if the Undecided weren't included.

That’s what you call a Successful Campaign?
    And Corky, you said u didn't Support The SNP? Who do u Support?
    ‘Fragmentation of a cause’ is a Recipe for disaster!
    Again…More of YOUR money down the drain!

There are strategies for Winning, and I (From Afar), and having been involved in ‘like situations’, do not find this appealing.

And I have been reading about £5million being spent on Scot-Rail and they are ‘on strike’. No proper Care/Transportation for The Sick/pregnant women, Heating bills Unaffordable, Roads not gritted. Honestly the £Millions being spent on a Huge Conference would be better spent on the poor people. Actually The SNP mite be better looked at if they addressed these issues.
    Your Politicians are are the same as ours. Living ‘high on the hog’, ignoring the poor folk …yes I know as I remember Caithness, and I was for a period of time attached to both Provincial and Federal Gov’s in Canada.

I remember a saying…’Get a Grip’ Corky!
    Last edited by The Horseman; 20-Dec-22 at 19:59.

Horseman, I have lost count of the number of times I and others have dismantled your arguments. But, I'm a bit bored so here I go again.

1. "Most" people do not appear to think they are going from one failure to another. If you have evidence of this present it. My evidence to the contrary is the commanding lead the SNP have in all the polls.

2. The "Undecided" are always mentioned in polls. Data is presented to show those "For", "Against" and "Undecided". The latter category is then removed to present the figures for and against as a simple comparison. This is done regardless of who is ahead in the debate. This is common practice and most folk seems to accept it as a perfectly reasonable way of presenting poll results.

3. There is no campaign at the moment. Have you forgotten that the Supreme Court has ruled that Westminster has to give permission for a referendum?

4. I support independence for Scotland and will vote for whoever I feel will achieve that aim. I am not a member of any political party.

5. It is not money "down the drain". Any expenditure was authorised by the electorate who voted the SNP into power in Holyrood.

6. Much of what you say about strikes etc doesn't make much sense, I'm afraid. You seem to be confused about where power and responsibility lies in the UK. The Scottish Government has no power over many of the issues you mention.

7. Whatever any "huge conference" may cost it will not be paid for by public money. It will be an SNP event and they (and any other organisations involved) will have to fund it. So to repeat: no public money will be spent.

8. You appear not to have a very high opinion of politicians. You criticise, entirely unjustifiably, Scottish (SNP) ones but somehow fail to mention the great list of current Tory politicians mired in scandals of every conceivable kind. Please, just spend a few minutes researching the financial corruption allegations currently hanging over many Tory politicians, both elected and non-elected. If what is alleged is correct then the sums involved would be more than sufficient to solve the many ills you mention above.

I repeat my plea to you: do not rely on the biased opinions of much of the MSM for your information.

Spin it any way u want.

Well Horseman, if that's the best you can do ........

I just read Paul K’s Blog…..
    52% is a big success! And he states that …£20Million is just a ‘drop in the Bucket….

What a BlogMaster! And u seem to believe that this is Success.
    Give your ‘Heed a Twist’..!

What I would like to hear is from other Scots on this matter…..and your telling me that No Government Money is being used for the ‘up coming Party!
    Last edited by The Horseman; 21-Dec-22 at 21:36.

Well you may have read PK's blog but it seems you are still confused so let's try again..

Party conferences in the UK are not, and never have been, publicly funded. If any political party decides it wants to hold a conference then that is entirely a matter for them to organise and pay for. NO PUBLIC MONEY is spent on them. There are very strict rules on spending public money and doing so for political purposes, such as a party conference, is not allowed.

For the umpteenth time, the SNP said to the Scottish electorate in 2021 that if they voted for them they would hold a referendum. The SNP won the election and formed the Government in coalition with the Greens. They are now attempting to do what the people voted for them to do. Only, HMG is trying to stop them carrying out what is Scottish Government policy. An elected Government is entitled to spend money on behalf of the electorate. That is their job - to enact the policies they said they would if the people voted them into government.

So to sum up:-

Party conferences - no public money spent

Referendums - public money spent because it is government policy.

The SNP are holding a Conference to find a Way Forward, which will include a De Facto Referendum!

Do u Get It? U defined it! They are choosing their Words Carefully! But everyone knows what is going on!
    But it’s the Public’s money, so who cares!

Corky..Get ur HEED oot o’ yer……..!
    Last edited by The Horseman; 21-Dec-22 at 23:58.

Oh, I know who has "got it" all right.

Quote Originally Posted by Corky Smeek View Post
    Oh, I know who has "got it" all right.
    ********** You have indeed Corky. Hidden facts for everyone to see. This will not go well for some! It never changes!

And now the Scottish Gov’t will allow CHILDREN as young as 16 to Change their Genders.
    This, in the minds of Many ‘Learned People’ is dangerous.
    What are they up to!
    Reply Corky!

And I hear your new Ferries are being built in Turkey……Sturgeon ‘Squandered’ £200M……
    Methinks Corkey etal…..It is time to Re assess your Govt!
    They are getting more bad press than Russia.

Please be aware that I am not ‘Slagging Scotland’! I just find that Scotland with less than 5 Million people, was once upon a time The Country of Explorers and Creators, who won high praise, but now seems to be ‘mired’ in Questionable Politics and bad decisions.
    I remember when transiting Prestwick Airport, the walls were covered with pictures and Bios of Famous Creators and Inventors!
    Last edited by The Horseman; 24-Dec-22 at 03:46.

Merry Christmas Horseman.

And to you Corky….May your wish come true…..

I just read that this ‘de facto’ Referendum is thought by some to likely turn into ‘An Almighty Mess’.
    Then there is The Gender Issue, where the UK Government may have to ‘step in’, as the Majority of Scots are against it.

What are they trying to do? Bait The UK Gov’t……

Sniping again Horsman, you never let an opportunity pass to denigrate Scotland and its people.
    'We are more alike, my friends, than we are unalike.'
    Maya Angelou

Well it’s u who states that this is an opportunity, not me.
    I have ‘been around a bit’, and I don’t think I have ever heard sma’ Civilized Country go thru so many Negativities.
    It seems things are ‘out of control’!
    Isn't it time The Populace took some action!
    Pray tell me what u have done? Lobbied anyone? The Gender issue is being ‘debunked’, and Scotland is now going there! I congratulate the UK for taking a look at this decision.

Horseman, I have lost count of the number of times I have urged you to widen the scope of your reading. It really does look as though you sit over there in Canada reading the online editions of the Mail, Express and Telegraph, absorbing all of it as if it were gospel. The view from over here is very different, I assure you.

Quote Originally Posted by Corky Smeek View Post
    Horseman, I have lost count of the number of times I have urged you to widen the scope of your reading. It really does look as though you sit over there in Canada reading the online editions of the Mail, Express and Telegraph, absorbing all of it as if it were gospel. The view from over here is very different, I assure you.
    Methinks it is U that shud widen ur Views. U r ‘up to your………! In alligators! As they say.
    Once upon a time Scotland was revered in The World. Now all they talk about is a Dream and like a lot of U, just talk, and let The SNP free to do what they want!
    Ohhhhhh I shud ask….It would appear you are in Agreement with what they are doing!
    From the outside looking in…They are not serving you, the people!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast