Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: No wonder they don't want us to have independence.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default No wonder they don't want us to have independence.

I did a wee bit of research today into the value of two commodities:- whisky and gold. What I found was quite interesting.

Whisky

The total amount of whisky currently lying in bond in Scotland is the equivalent of 12 billion 70cl bottles.

The duty on a 70cl bottle of whisky is £11.50.

Therefore, the total value to the exchequer of all the whisky in Scotland is £138,000,000,000.

Gold

The total weight of the UK's gold reserves is 310.29 tonnes.

The current price of a ton of gold is £41,517,000

Therefore, the total value of the UK's gold reserves is £12,882,309,930.

It is also interesting to note that the UK's gold reserves are not all that substantial when compared to other major countries. For example, France's gold reserves are nearly 8 times as great as the UK's and Germany's are nearly 11 times greater. Kazakhstan and Uzbekistan have greater gold reserves than the UK.

It is equally interesting to note that the value of all the bonded whisky in Scotland is 10 times greater than the value of the UK's gold reserves.

No wonder they don't want us to have independence. And no wonder some people refer to whisky as liquid gold.

Dear me, you must be bored.

If you're bored tomorrow look up the value of the UK currency reserves compared to Germany's

Oh, very bored indeed. So bored, in fact, I took up your suggestion.

UK foreign exchange reserves - $176103 million.
    German foreign exchange reserves - EUR 281258 million

Quote Originally Posted by Corky Smeek View Post
    Oh, very bored indeed. So bored, in fact, I took up your suggestion.

UK foreign exchange reserves - $176103 million.
    German foreign exchange reserves - EUR 281258 million
    I did say 'currency' reserves. Try again. As we know the UK's bumbling Scottish chancellor sold off a large % of UK gold at the most inopportune time and converted it to foreign cash.

You claim not to be an SNP supporter, but you MUST have been a student at the SNP college of Economics, where 2 + 2 = anything the followers will believe. Try reading your own links properly. 85% of Scottish whisky is exported, now, does that huge figure generate the £11.50 per bottle you mention?

Why do you peddle SNP myths that are easily destroyed? I know you don't like 'msm' but this link to the Express sets it out in simple terms how the tax system works when it comes to Scottish whisky. I hope it sets your overactive mind to rest. https://www.scottishdailyexpress.co....g-nat-27758594

I will not read anything from the Daily Express under any cirumstances. I will not give their site the benefit of my web traffic. Even if I did read it I would not believe it. They are liars, plain and simple.

I know this is from a wee while back but it illustrates the extent to which the Daily Express lie to its readers. Two headlines from the same day: one from the English DE and the other from the Scottish DE.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DX Two front pages.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	16.4 KB 
ID:	35856

So, I'm afraid I am going to take no lessons from someone who thinks the Daily Express provides reliable reportage.
    Last edited by Corky Smeek; 09-Nov-22 at 16:08. Reason: spelling

CORKY SMEEK,
    As a matter of National Scrutiny, could you please advise what this name means! Ty