Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: King Charles etal…

Default King Charles etal…

I was just reading up on the above and family….

What do people think of the Vast Sums of money and property the Royal Family owns.
    e,g. Prince William now owns £1 Billion in property etc..That is 1000 Million Pounds.

There has been debates before about this issue, but really never from the general public.
    Just a thought, as there are severe hardships around the World, and they are about to get worse. Of course we always survive but………..

BTW..Balmoral costs approx £4 Million per year to run….A Tidy Sum one might say!
    Personally, I can see wealth in the hands of people who worked hard for it, and spending all their time building an Empire but………..’another but’!

It would be nice to know what The General Public think!

During my visits from Canada to ‘The United States’ in a Government vehicle, on occasion I would be stopped by the US Police, and asked for the Registration and Insurance for the vehicle….
    When I would produce a Document stating that The Registered Owner was ‘Her Majesty The Queen, comments like ‘are you ………..Joking etc.,etc! And of course there was No Insurance on Gov’t Vehicles…they were ‘self insured’! Kinda funny when one got ‘it sorted out’!
    Last edited by The Horseman; 09-Oct-22 at 15:31.

I’d like to see the end of the monarchy, I don’t believe we should be bowing down to anyone. There will always be those who argue that the monarchy attracts tourist money, but France and Germany do very well in the visitor stakes despite no longer having a Royal House. I also think it should be part of the debate that should Scotland gain independence, that a further vote is held on whether to retain royalty as head of state.

This morning I was thinking of the North of Scotland people and others in The UK., waking up to likely a Major Recession, Petrol and diesel going through the roof, with some who will be unable to heat their homes properly, when I read about King Charles and his 800 Acre Magnificent High Grove property, wanting for nothing……….
    It does seem a bit outrageous…..Ohhh and William being ‘gifted’ close to a £1 Billion Estate…and of course etal…The others!
    This post has had several hundred ‘looks’ and only one comment…..
    I am truly surprised…..but this was the way I was brought up. We seem to Worship those people. I take it this is still the way in Scotland. Not to put them down, as they seem to be there ‘for a purpose’, but an Equitable share of the Joys! Or maybe ‘Heating Oil’!

The "Castle of Mey" is it still owned by the royal family? Doesn't it generate much needed jobs and extra tourism income for Caithness?

I think that the Jubilee and then the Queen's death has shown that there is huge support for the monarchy, including King Charles and that this is true of Scotland as much as anywhere else in the UK-( and it still is the UK at present). I shall be watching the coronation ceremony and will enjoy the spectacle, I am sure. Charles has a strong connection with Caithness, as we all know and many folk up here have met him.

I agree with you, altho in the UK the younger people are at about 30%, when the general population is at approx 65%.
    It fluctuates with The Jubilee, The Queens death and other Royal activities.
    Canada has been on ‘the fence’ at about 50%……

I find that the Wealth which they collectively have, is somewhat ‘misplaced’.
    To have so much Amongst So Few, seems disproportionate, especially when we are in trouble………

I remember as a boy some Nobility lived in Caithness. The Local Women had to Bow to her Ladyship and to Sir…………..and then after leaving and doing some research, they were ‘stragglers’ from a Wealthy English Family..big business..and were sent to Caithness to get rid of them! Outcasts. Actually more than one lot.
    And a Knighthood has been paid for To King Charles!
    Thus is life I suppose, if the ‘populace’ accepts it!

You would need to go back to 1066 to change the way things are. Most of the aristocracy of the UK can trace their money and land back to that point in history. It's a bit too far back in time to say 'give it back' or where do you stop? Should our local Danish landowner be entitled to the vast amount of Scotland he owns?

An interesting fact is that the Norman invaders of 1066 were actually Vikings, which many in Caithness claim to be their roots. So, many of us are Vikings, ruled by Vikings!

Good article of the wealth of the Royals https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...nces-explained

It seems to me that having a monarchy is something the people of Scotland should decide. Once we are independent we really need to have a national debate on whether we wish to retain the monarchy. Whatever the outcome of that debate it will have been the free choice of the Scottish people which is fine by me.

Yup…It’s a Wee Bitty complicated.
    On second thoughts….I am not saying Give it back! Perhaps share it…
    I don't like this Flaunting in his High Grove home/estate. Does that bring comfort to someone who is sitting so close to the small fire, getting Tartan Legs!
    The next episode of The Crown may change things!
    Last edited by The Horseman; 12-Oct-22 at 17:36.

Quote Originally Posted by Corky Smeek View Post
    It seems to me that having a monarchy is something the people of Scotland should decide. Once we are independent we really need to have a national debate on whether we wish to retain the monarchy. Whatever the outcome of that debate it will have been the free choice of the Scottish people which is fine by me.
    The way I see it is that post independence we will just become another Commonwealth country with the King as our head of state. Now as far as I can tell that would mean that like the other Commonwealth countries we won't actually have to pay for the monarchy, that will be down to the remaining UK. Cheaper than having to pay for our own head of state.
    “We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine....
    And the machine is bleeding to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Alrock View Post
    The way I see it is that post independence we will just become another Commonwealth country with the King as our head of state. Now as far as I can tell that would mean that like the other Commonwealth countries we won't actually have to pay for the monarchy, that will be down to the remaining UK. Cheaper than having to pay for our own head of state.
    ******Why would you need ‘A Head of State’?……..Canada doesn't have one……Just a Prime Minister @ £300k……and a Governor General….£200k.

Cheeeezeeee Whizzz we are now getting complicated.

And I don’t think Independent Scotland would get away with that!?

Quote Originally Posted by The Horseman View Post
    ******Why would you need ‘A Head of State’?……..Canada doesn't have one……Just a Prime Minister @ £300k……and a Governor General….£200k.
    Are you sure about Canada not having a Head of State? I'm pretty sure your HoS in king Charles III.

Are you sure about Canada not having a Head of State? I'm pretty sure your HoS in king Charles III.
    You are correct.
    Our Governor General Is the King’s Representative…
    My mistake. Well done!

Once we are independent
    We have already had a debate and vote on that matter, we want to remain as part of the UK.
    See 2014 for further details.
    W.A.T.P.