Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any reasons to be cheerful?

Default Any reasons to be cheerful?

Given the utterly catastrophic state of virtually everything in the UK - with much worse to come - I was just wondering if anyone could think of even one reason why Scotland should remain in the Union.

I know I am biased in this regard but I am genuinely mystified as to why anyone still believes we are "Better Together".

I think Scotland was very prominently profiled during The Queens Funeral!
    One should be pleased with this for now….

Horseman, the warm glow that came from the prominent profiling of Scotland at the funeral of QE I & II will not heat folks' homes this winter.

I'm not sure if you realise just how mindbendingly awful things are over here at the moment. Below is a short video from Andrew Marr. In case you don't know him, he a very prominent political journalist. His critique of the current government's handling of the crisis we are in is the most savage I have ever heard him give.

So come on. Try harder and see if you can think of any good reason why anyone in Scotland would want to stay in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by Corky Smeek View Post
    Horseman, the warm glow that came from the prominent profiling of Scotland at the funeral of QE I & II will not heat folks' homes this winter.

I'm not sure if you realise just how mindbendingly awful things are over here at the moment. Below is a short video from Andrew Marr. In case you don't know him, he a very prominent political journalist. His critique of the current government's handling of the crisis we are in is the most savage I have ever heard him give.

So come on. Try harder and see if you can think of any good reason why anyone in Scotland would want to stay in the UK.

Hi…not attached..
    But Andrew Marr….Yup…..Mouthpiece?!

@ Horseman - No idea what you mean, sorry.

I am unable to see ‘the story’, but it seems he will ‘yap’ away at anything.

The entire World is in a mess.
    This all started when The United States wanted to put Nukes in Ukraine! And that means close to Russia and China!.
    Way back when…….The Russians wanted to put Nukes in Cuba, close to the US., and America was going to war with that, except The Russians backed down!
    History repeats itself.

The second part of this equation is that The West is doing away with Coal, and other Fossil Fuels, to the degradation of the fuel supply.
    Yes we should go towards non polluting power, but in California householders are already told not to plug their Electric Vehicles in at nite due to the enormous strain on Electricity Grid! We are putting the ‘cart before the horse’…..again!

There is an interesting ‘Theory’ beginning to be spoken off…….
    Two Worlds….One …The entire East….They call it BRICS
    Two…The entire West.
    Last edited by The Horseman; 30-Sep-22 at 14:21.

Still not sure what your point is. Also, I think you are a bit out of date. The BRICS countries have been very significant players for quite some time now; at the very least, 15 years.

My point is that the UK appears to be in terminal economic decline. Scotland is being dragged down as part of it. I cannot think of even one reason for Scotland to remain in the Union but clearly others disagree with me. The reluctance of people to accept the reality of Scotland's situation is something I find difficult to fathom and I suppose I am just curious as to why anyone would wish to retain the status quo.

BRICS Countries are becoming stronger…..thus my point.

And something I do find ‘Unfathomable’ is there are 650,000 mobility vehicles out in the UK. Some families have more than one! Huh!
    I know of no other Country on earth that has this Financial Burden. There are so many stories of abuse, including in Scotland. Perhaps start there!
    Presently the entire World is on a ‘down turn’, due to the excesses in all walks of life! People have to realize that Money doesn't just grown on trees! There will be a sharp decrease in the standard if living that most people enjoy…Actually Demand!

Another example….The Wind Farms giving out money to the local communities…..That money is really taken from the pockets of the people who pay the Electricity Bills. It isn't FREE…….people are Paying Extra for Hydro to pay that! Duh!

*******I just read an updated prognosis of the World Economy….We are in for a ‘severe recession’.
    So your new P.M. is doing something different!

Einstein defined Insanity, as to continue to doing the same thing over and over again, and expecting different results! Take Heed.
    Last edited by The Horseman; 01-Oct-22 at 01:31.

Well Horseman, I really have no idea what to say in response to that last post. Try as I might I cannot see how any of it relates to the subject matter of the thread.

Oh, and there is no real evidence that Einstein said that about insanity although it is often attributed to him.

Quote Originally Posted by Corky Smeek View Post
    Well Horseman, I really have no idea what to say in response to that last post. Try as I might I cannot see how any of it relates to the subject matter of the thread.

Oh, and there is no real evidence that Einstein said that about insanity although it is often attributed to him.
    *******(
    You said…EVERYTHING in the UK is bad! Much worse off! The economy around The World is Much worse off.
    It’s not only The UK. Put up with it……It’s Gonna Get Worse!

Einstein was supposed to have said it, but I wasn't there……I do know he was a Terrible Sailor, from Rescue Records.
    And just look at it…….It is true in our lives….Truss is trying something different. Annoying many, especially The Rich.

I have been reading about the UK situation.
    One MP said…….YOU CANNOT LOWER WELFARE!

Welfare is the UK problem!

An interesting argument in defence of the Union:-

Life is s**t here but it's s**t in a lot of other places too so don't bother trying to better yourselves as it will probably end up being just as s**t as it was where you were. Well, thank goodness not everyone is as pessimistic as you. Those of us in favour of Indy want a better future. We are no longer prepared to put up with the s**t.
    Last edited by Corky Smeek; 02-Oct-22 at 14:58.

Corky…..I am not defending The Union……you are presently JOINED at the hip, so there is nothing you can do!
    We are also in trouble…..everyone is…..and will be for a while.!
    We have a Welfare System but not as Rich as yours! Something, somewhere has to give!
    Go for Indy. Best wishes..

Fair enough but when I started this thread it was to see if anyone could defend the Union.

I just don't think there are any plus sides to Scotland being in it and I wondered if anyone could identify something they saw as positive.

The emotional ties that some have to the UK I can understand. But when you take that away what else is there?

I for one don't know!
    From what I read, u don't have very good representation from your Elected Officials!
    Mind you there is ‘time of Austerity’ coming!
    There are going to be a lot of cut backs……for every Country….

Just now over The Radio came….78% of Canadians are finding it difficult to make ends meet! Prices have risen on Everything.
    I admit out Gasoline/Petrol had Doubled at one point, but it has come back down to just over the last year’s price.
    Heating has also been affected, but not to the same extent as The UK…….But it is common knowledge that nearly everyone is living far past their Basic needs! And keep thinking about the Mobility cars that be ordered in the recipient’s favourite Color! Ohhh and they can be turned down if they don’t have headlight wipers. And I know someone who went on a Holiday to Europe with one……does it twice a year!

Keep plugging with The SNP or IndyRef2…….. haven't heard what a recent survey is saying!

The KING is in Edinburgh! WOW!

Well, this will cheer everyone up.

Laura Farris the Tory MP for Newbury in Berkshire (way down in the South of England) doesn't want fracking to happen anywhere near her constituency, where it might make her unpopular and lose her seat in the HoC. She is happy to support it elsewhere, of course. And guess where she thinks it should be done - the far north of Scotland.

Yet another example showing what the Tories think of Scotland and the people who live here. Something Laura Farris doesn't support for her own backyard is fine so long as it happens in ours.

Thank goodness control over fracking is under the control of the Scottish Government who are steadfastly against it.

Well, thankfully (as far as many are concerned) it looks as though the Tories are toast as far as the next GE is concerned (so they won't be able to initiate fracking in England either) and as regards this MP, well clearly she is a bit silly isn't she and politically inept and perhaps worse for all I know. Of course I know your reasons for posting it as well but even among the Tories, not all hate Scotland as you put it and many of them do live here.

The worrying thing about the Tories being toast in the next GE is that they will be replaced by the Labour Party. That's a helluva thought don't you think!! I am pretty sceptical about all political promises but particularly those made by the Labour Party. They have been promising to abolish the HoL since about the year dot and have had umpteen terms in government where they could have done it but didn't. I wouldn't place too much store in a Labour Party promise, particularly one made in what may be the run up to another GE.

I didn't say the Tories hated Scotland, although clearly some do and would, I feel, gladly vote YES just to get rid of us. Part of the problem is that most Tories don't even consider Scotland for long enough to form any opinions about us. We are just an afterthought. But that bl**dy silly MP clearly didn't have any thoughts or appreciation of the impact of her words. She just waved her hands around in a vague attempt to indicate "...the northern reaches of Scotland.". Quite staggering disrespect and ignorance on her part. And, unfortunately, she is not alone.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast