Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Never thought I'd agree with Nicola Sturgeon!

Default Never thought I'd agree with Nicola Sturgeon!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotla...itics-62576062

It seems there are a lot of vile nasty independence supporters out there. A taste of what's to come no doubt.

Strange that you don't see unionists attacking independance supporters or the press utterly disgraceful behaviour.

It was a totally shameful thing and must have been frightening for those who were there last night.
    But for me, I do not think it is a lot of people- just a minority who are beneath contempt and who have been justly condemned all round (and who are found in all areas of politics). I think that now is the time for all who value a free democracy above all else to stand together against such vile behaviour, whatever our political views and opinions. Personally, I think that the police should have been making some arrests in the face of behaviour that went well beyond legitimate protest to outright intimidation, spitting and throwing things like eggs.

Quote Originally Posted by Fulmar View Post
    It was a totally shameful thing and must have been frightening for those who were there last night.
    But for me, I do not think it is a lot of people- just a minority who are beneath contempt and who have been justly condemned all round (and who are found in all areas of politics). I think that now is the time for all who value a free democracy above all else to stand together against such vile behaviour, whatever our political views and opinions. Personally, I think that the police should have been making some arrests in the face of behaviour that went well beyond legitimate protest to outright intimidation, spitting and throwing things like eggs.
    Fully agree.

I know there are 'spats' on here, but on the whole, they never get too nasty.

Like you, I'm surprised the police consider egg throwing and spitting acceptable, what sort of precedent does that set? The police are supposed to act without fear or favour, that should always be at the top of the list, as its the sworn oath. As for Ch Supt Davison claiming ": "Police Scotland is a rights-based organisation that puts our values of integrity, fairness, respect and a commitment to upholding human rights at the heart of everything we do. We have a duty under the European Convention on Human Rights to protect the rights of people who wish to peacefully protest or counter-protest, balanced against the rights of the wider community". Excuse the pun, but that's a cop out. This was not a peaceful protest.

@ Goodfellers

I had written a great long response to your initial post but quite frankly it doesn't deserve it so I binned it and started again. Your post is just a cheap shot where you are trying to to tar all "Yessers" with the same brush. You know fine well that the handful of nutters who behaved so badly last night (and whom I condemn) are not representative of the wider "Yes" movement. But hey! Project Fear worked last time round so why not use those tactics again.

There is an old saying that what goes around comes around.

I was just wondering whether there would be any condemnation from those who expressed outrage at the treatment of James Cook, over the actions of William Curtis who posted on-line about the "assassination" of Nicola Sturgeon.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotla...tland-64515505

Given the hyperbole used in the James Cook case I imagine it's only a matter of time before the same level of outrage is given blanket coverage on our MSM. After all, the actions of Curtis represented a severe escalation in the level of potential physical threat. I won't hold my breath, however.

It would be nice, however, if the OP acknowledged that using inflammatory language such as, "It seems there are a lot of vile nasty independence supporters out there. A taste of what's to come no doubt. Strange that you don't see unionists attacking independance supporters or the press utterly disgraceful behaviour." is unwise if only for the reason that the words may come back to haunt you.

After all, wasn't it the OP who beseeched us all, on another thread, to play nice?

Quote Originally Posted by Corky Smeek View Post
    There is an old saying that what goes around comes around.

I was just wondering whether there would be any condemnation from those who expressed outrage at the treatment of James Cook, over the actions of William Curtis who posted on-line about the "assassination" of Nicola Sturgeon.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotla...tland-64515505

Given the hyperbole used in the James Cook case I imagine it's only a matter of time before the same level of outrage is given blanket coverage on our MSM. After all, the actions of Curtis represented a severe escalation in the level of potential physical threat. I won't hold my breath, however.

It would be nice, however, if the OP acknowledged that using inflammatory language such as, "It seems there are a lot of vile nasty independence supporters out there. A taste of what's to come no doubt. Strange that you don't see unionists attacking independance supporters or the press utterly disgraceful behaviour." is unwise if only for the reason that the words may come back to haunt you.

After all, wasn't it the OP who beseeched us all, on another thread, to play nice?
    You do say some odd things Corky, or at least imply some odd things.

I'm the one who disagreed with either 'side' using offensive terms for each other.....and as you say, I'm the one who beseeched us all, on another thread, to play nice

The news story you quote is the very reason I said what I said. Political biterness can and does lead to violence.

Goodfellers, is the opening post on this thread an example of you "playing nice"? I don't think so!

You used these words - "...you don't see unionists attacking independance supporters...". and yet here we have a man posting about the assassination of the most senior independence supporter of all. So, forgive me but I don't see how the Curtis news story is "...the very reason..." you said what you said. In any case the timing is all wrong.

It would be "nice" to see you actually condemn Curtis and acknowledge that there are nutters on both sides of of the Indy divide. Also, occupying the moral high ground comes with a certain responsibility - practice what you preach.

Quote Originally Posted by Corky Smeek View Post
    Goodfellers, is the opening post on this thread an example of you "playing nice"? I don't think so!

You used these words - "...you don't see unionists attacking independance supporters...". and yet here we have a man posting about the assassination of the most senior independence supporter of all. So, forgive me but I don't see how the Curtis news story is "...the very reason..." you said what you said. In any case the timing is all wrong.

It would be "nice" to see you actually condemn Curtis and acknowledge that there are nutters on both sides of of the Indy divide. Also, occupying the moral high ground comes with a certain responsibility - practice what you preach.

I'm terribly sorry that on the 17th August last year I was unable to predict these future events.

'The timing is all wrong'...Not really, your comprehension of what I said is the only thing 'wrong'.

What is noticeable in your response is the complete lack of any notion of the extent of your hypocrisy.

You come on here, saying the things you do about the Cook case yet you will not condemn the actions of Curtis who has been convicted of threatening and abusive behaviour. What conclusions do you think anyone reading your comments will draw about your thoughts on Curtis' actions?

You appear to wish to set standards of behaviour which others must adhere to but which do not apply to you. I wonder where you got that idea from!

So, I will ask once more: do you condemn the actions of Mr Curtis?