Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: USB memory sticks

Default USB memory sticks

At work (not a sensitive or high security work place) most users have no administrative rights to our desktop pcs (running Windows XP Professional). One upshot of this is that people can't even use a different USB memory stick (apart from the one they have been using for a while), without having to get one of the IT technicians to log on as an administrator. This inconvenience with new USB memory sticks a relatively new occurence.

At my local library where there are public access desktop pcs (also running Windows XP Professional) one can plug in any USB memory sticks and they are accepted without question.

Could this problem at work be due to a "policy", transmitted over the network? If so is there an easy way round this?

I for one would not tell you how to work around any security policy put in place by your IT department. If you want to know ask them

It will be there for a reason - trying to circumvent it may just get you dismissed! And if you do it it will be recorded on your PC, and probably centrally by IT too, so be very careful.

Quote Originally Posted by NickInTheNorth View Post
    I for one would not tell you how to work around any security policy put in place by your IT department. If you want to know ask them

It will be there for a reason - trying to circumvent it may just get you dismissed! And if you do it it will be recorded on your PC, and probably centrally by IT too, so be very careful.
    Quite right, Nickinthenorth. Security policies are put there for that very reason - SECURITY. I am always quite gobsmacked at how many people question the need for security simply because it is in their way. Bet they call the 'boys in blue' "pigs" until they need one.
    "Step sideways, pause and study those around you. You will learn a great deal."

Perhaps rather than being some anarchistic rule breaker this is someone trying to do their job being irritated by the barriers raised to doing it. People who are trustworthy expect to be trusted and therefore find the blocks set up for the less honest an irritation. So not all of us are content with the rules, not because we dislike those who impose them but questioning the rules is part of living in the democracy we are supposed to inhabit.

If security policies are put in place they are probably there for a reason. If the IT department are getting hassled each time someone needs to use a new memory stick you can bet they don't like it too much. That is why I usggest they ask them.

If there is no reason they will tell you, if there is they should also tell you. That way you get the true reason, and don't get sacked for breaching the rules.

Anarchy rules. OK!

Thanks for the replies. I (and others) will get on to the IT technicians about this again, maybe pressure of complaints will do the trick. As "davem" suggests, we are just people who want to do our jobs, but from the others, I take on board the fact that trying to circumvent the problem might look a bit dodgy and is maybe better not attempted.