Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Swallows

Default Swallows

Swallows arrived here in Brough yesterday. Quite late again this year. Always good to see them though.
    HEADWARK

First swallow spotted in Reiss on 25th April and the first Housemartin on 23rd April.

We've got a second brood of chicks still in the nest in the garage- a bit worrying really and hoping that it it's not too late. One of the parents has been regularly dive bombing us every time we go anywhere near -or even if we don't! We can be at the other side of the garden and still come in for a hair parting swoop and accompanying shriek! I've resorted to wearing a hat!

The barn swallows only produced a single brood but the housemartins have a second, also still in the nest. I've only been in this house 5 years but I've never seen them try for a second brood before. Fingers crossed.

2023 update.

First swallow spotted in Reiss on 28th April and are here in good numbers. The first Housemartin on 6th May.

I spotted a completely white (albino) swallow today near Halkirk. It appeared to be being chased by the other swallows but hard to tell. I have not seen one before but have occasionally seen other albino birds over the years and once, many years ago, a jackdaw with white wings!