Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: New Uk energy strategy.

Default New Uk energy strategy.

I just read about the above……With Nuclear at the Heart!

No one is every happy with The World……..are they!

Why no mention of Tidal?
    “We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine....
    And the machine is bleeding to death."

Personally I thinkTidal is far from being proven reliable.
    Just read reports from around the World, and they show you will see that they are costly and break down regularly. Repairs are very high as first one has to get them out of the water, and wind and waves are not consistent…sometimes boats have to wait days to lift them and they and they cannot be repaired underwater.
    Harnessing The Seas is nigh impossible…

There are 88 Nuclear plants in America, with I think 12 Aircraft Carriers, plus Submarines and other small facilities.
    Canada has 5 main Reactors with several Universities having their own.
    There is another in Chalk River, Ontario which ‘creates’ Nuclear Isotopes……The only other similar plant is in Russia!

Contrary to common belief ‘Nuke Power’ is quite safe. Yes, there have been problems over the years, but some were Operator problems and others, Acts of Nature.
    The World was Created with Problems……it continues.
    Yes Dounreay…….that was in Nuke Infancy and those in Charge covered it up!

I think you may find that political and public opposition is likely to be a major factor in this.

Fortunately, the Scottish Government controls planning issues. They will block any proposals for the construction of nuclear power facilities in Scotland.

I remember seeing a survey recently which showed the majority of Scots are opposed to the use of nuclear power. Unfortunately, I cannot locate the report but if I do find it I will post a link.

Quote Originally Posted by Corky Smeek View Post
    I think you may find that political and public opposition is likely to be a major factor in this.

Fortunately, the Scottish Government controls planning issues. They will block any proposals for the construction of nuclear power facilities in Scotland.

I remember seeing a survey recently which showed the majority of Scots are opposed to the use of nuclear power. Unfortunately, I cannot locate the report but if I do find it I will post a link.
    ****I thought that someone had challenged that idea.
    It will provide ‘Safe Jobs’!

In my area of Canada we have 2 large Nuclear Plants.
    For approx 6 years I was The Emergency Measures Officer for those Nuclear Plants, one with 6 reactors, built in 1971, the other with 4 in 1991.
    Nothing of any serious consequences occurred there!
    The levels of Government that control these Facilities are enormous. And altho’ they are built on Lake Ontario which is 140 miles by 50 miles there are no Tidal problems.
    Am trying to fathom why Scotland, particularly The North doesn't want the Years of work in construction, and then the High Paying jobs continue!
    Dounreay was ‘experimental!.

No wonder people are ‘Fearful’ of Nuclear!
    More ‘Near Misses’ at Dounreay!
    Where are the people who are supposed to be ‘monitoring’ this important De-Commissioning?

MeyGen just received another £2.5 million ‘loan’…Yup Another Grant…non repayable, from Scottish Enterprise, to put 2 of their Turbines back in the water in 12 months.
    How long can the Gov’t continue to give ‘people’s’ money away like this.
    This is experimental at it’s worst!

Of the many, many disadvantages to Wave Turbines they are……..WEAK in ROUGH WEATHER! Huh..The Pentland Firth!
    Been across quite a few times, and on a good day the tides are rough!

Where are these people’s heads.

********I shall add…the MeyGen project received £51 Million from The Government and it’s subsidiaries in 2015.
    Plus now another £2.5 Million just now. Likely more the Public don't know about.

And there are a list of Pros and Cons…..the worst contrarian one, is that Rough Weather and High Tides……it makes it ‘nigh’ impossible to succeed!
    The Pentland Firth is described by the World’s Mariners, as an extremely dangerous area, and it is to be avoided with rushes of water reaching 12 mph! It also has dangerous Whirlpools and very high Tides converging with each other….To be avoided at all costs!
    Waves of 11 Metres have been measured.

I am trying to figure out why…..when one of the main objections to Tidal Power being operated in this environment, are present here!
    Last edited by The Horseman; 16-Apr-22 at 18:48.