Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Wick Photos

Default Youth Concert

My friend has sent me this programme for a Youth Concert in the B B Hall in 1951. I certainly recognise one of these names...

Quote Originally Posted by cuddlepop View Post
    What fantastic pictures,thank you for posting them
    Hello Lavender Blue,
    the building in the Market Square was erected by ex-provost Paterson Smith( same man who paid for the fountain) to provide a shelter for the fish wives of the day.It had a seat and a counter, this was in the first decade of the 20th Century.I think it was demolished in the late 1930s.
    Mosser

Hello Mosser

Thank you for that - how very interesting. So the building was a forerunner to the farmers market of today but for the fishwives!

We look forward to hearing more from you on this and other threads.

LB

Default Wick pics

Quote Originally Posted by stevep View Post
    As the Thurso post is proving so popular has anybody got any old pictures of Wick? It would be fascinating to see them
    What happened to Wick Photos?

Quote Originally Posted by Chligh View Post
    What happened to Wick Photos?
    This is page 4 of Old Wick Photos; start at page 1...... the page numbers are at the bottom of the last post here.....

Hi Trinkie,

the original Dolphin was in High Street where Harrolds Butchers is today. The building was demolished in the 60s and the TSBbuilt a new bank on the site

Default Dolphin Restaurant

Thank you Mosser,

I think the original Dolphin was next to the Liverpool Victoria Offices. To the left there was a little lane going down toward the river.
    Maybe there was only the door and one window. Inside it was a longish room with lots of tables. Perhaps run by two sisters ?
    It was a big treat to have High Tea there - I remember my father having Poached egg on Toast ! I used to love the three-tiered cake stand with all the fancy cakes ! And of course bread and butter came free with your tea !

Across the road was Dan Dunnett's Shoe shop - and what service, he always addressed us as Miss .....(he knew all our names) that really made one feel important and very good for business too! Old Mr Dunnett always wore his specs on top of his head and was usually clutching a box of shoes under his oxter !

Trinkie

the cliff road (plenty food for the roses,no need for homebase then)

the street i was born in

Default Willowbank

Well I never !! Earlier today I was going to ask for an old picture of Willowbank as my mother was born at number 10 at the turn of the century - I decided not to ask for fear of bothering someone !
    South View is this looking to the east and all the new houses, with Shore Lane behind you ? Would you know which is number 10 ?

Many thanks
    Trinkie.

Default Willowbank.

Southview - I must tell you a little story of the Minister who came across a little boy in Willowbank, trying hard to reach up to knock at the door.

''Let me help you laddie'' said the minister as he lifted the little boy up.

Three loud knocks and the minister put the boy down again.

''Thanks meenister'' said the little boy. ''Now run lek hell for there's a wild wifie living in that hoose !''

Trinkie !
    Last edited by trinkie; 30-Dec-07 at 21:44. Reason: two submitted

Default Wick - Frances St

Finding it absolutely enthralling seeing all the old photos of Wick and in particular Frances St and the West Church which I gather was in Frances St if I have followed the photos correctly.
    My Great Great Great Grandfather Alexander Reid and GGG grandmother Margaret (Sutherland) lived there where they had 5 children. Does anyone have any information on this family at all. Would love to get any info at all. Keep the photos coming - you are all brilliant!

Coach
    East Kilbride (Glasgow)

Quote Originally Posted by trinkie View Post
    <snip> I think the original Dolphin was next to the Liverpool Victoria Offices. <snip>Perhaps run by two sisters ?

Across the road was Dan Dunnett's Shoe shop - <snip>
    I love this thread but unfortunately have nothing to add to it in the way of photos. I do, however, remember the later Dolphin Restaurant in Bridge Street (late 60's?) run by two lovely ladies. I do believe they were sisters and stayed in Mowat Lane, Wick. The chocolate cake was to die for.......

Dan Dunnett's son & grandson kept up the good old fashioned service until the day the shop closed. Graham Dunnett (our previous Lord Lieutenant in Caithness), dressed to impress, complete with bow-tie.... Such memories .....
    Last edited by Moira; 31-Dec-07 at 13:30. Reason: I got the name wrong lol!

Default Wick shops

Good to remember Moira !

I remember a son Graham Dunnett who was in the shop too.
    I went in one year whilst up on holiday - He showed me some Barker shoes but lamented the fact that they were no long using leather on the soles but a horrid amalgam of modern stuff ! He was so vexed and apologetic about it, I think he took it personally !

Great service and sadly missed.

Trinkie

Hi Trinkie

It was indeed Graham Dunnett I was thinking of. Thanks for that and to the poster who pm'd me pointing out my mistake. I'll go back edit my post. It just goes to show my memory is not what it used to be....

Hi Moira,

the two sisters were Betty & Leenie Davidson who lived in the bottom right house of Mowat Lane as you go down

Quote Originally Posted by trinkie View Post
    Well I never !! Earlier today I was going to ask for an old picture of Willowbank as my mother was born at number 10 at the turn of the century - I decided not to ask for fear of bothering someone !
    South View is this looking to the east and all the new houses, with Shore Lane behind you ? Would you know which is number 10 ?

Many thanks
    Trinkie.
    Hello trinkie,the even numbers are on the left side and i reckon the first house with the woman at the door would have been either 2 or 4. SV7.

Wick Harbour 1900

Why be a hard rock when you really are a gem!

Wonderful picture Julia; thanks for sharing....

That is a wonderful picture Julia - I'd love to have that in a frame.

LB

Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast