Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Wick Photos

Quote Originally Posted by south view 7 View Post
    What an amazing picture.I love being able to look at old photo's of places in there hayday.
    Thanks for sharing
    Never judge someone until you have walked two moons in their moccasins.

Native American Indian saying.

Wick harbour circa 1905.

Wick Herring Gutters.

Wick from the railway station.

Thurso Street.

Wick Harbour.

the north side of the bay.
    Check out the story on the Old cave's thread.
    Never judge someone until you have walked two moons in their moccasins.

Native American Indian saying.

Quote Originally Posted by helenwyler View Post
    Hmmm!

Could it possibly be
    "These are our forefathers
    Don't smile at me & say alas poor ???Ferso???"
    that's what I read too, but is the last word possibly "Fred"?

Default herring gutters

I think this was "takein inaye backsideopoltney " maybe trinkie knows,
    The women on the left of the back row is my grannie.

A saer fecht for a crust oh loff....

Default Ackergill Lifeboat

I hope that Ackergill counts in this thread because here is an old faded photo of the Ackergill Lifeboat Crew in the early 1900's - probably most of these folk are my relations - as far as I know, mainly Thain's and Flett's.

From 1894 - 1913 the lifeboat coxwain was David Thain who was my g.g.uncle (hope I have the g's right).

Prior to that from March 1878 - June 1894 the coxwain was my g.grandfather William Thain - he is pictured in the second photo along with his wife Elizabeth and eight of his family - I believe the only one missing from the photo is my grandmother Margaret.

It would be great if anybody can help more with the names of the lifeboat men.
    Fred you seem to be a mine of information in these matters.

LB

Over the pond, but not quite over the hill yet

Quote Originally Posted by cuddlepop View Post

Check out the story on the Old cave's thread.
    Here's the link to the 'Cave Dwellers in Wick' thread. It's an absolutely fascinating story!

http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=32266
    I am living for today, always remembering yesterday, and looking forward to tomorrow!

Default Wick Pics

That's a great photo – thank you for putting it on.

It was hard work indeed, but you know the more I think about it the more I am convinced it was a lot better than working in Mills and Factories as most folk who went to cities had to do.
    The horrendous machinery must have been terrifying for folk who had come from the country.
    Think of the noise, danger and smells and air pollution ! That to me, is far worse than working in the open air with smelly fish.... or working in Service with all that that entailed for young women.

The parents of the women in your photo likely came to Pultney from the 'sooth' – from places like Latheron and Sarclet and would have been well used to hard work in the fields in all weathers.
    As the children grew up, working in the Fishing industry would give them a steady wage. It was an exciting time – a new way of life with a regular income, and better housing.

When I first looked at your picture I immediately thought it was a Yard in Lower Poltney.... But I really am not sure. The Yards in Poltney were Taylor's in Barrogill Street (where my grannie worked ) Skinner's Yard in Murchison Street and Stewarts and Bremner's Yard in Nicolson Street. Down round the Harbour there were Davidsons, More's and Calder's Yards. If my memory serves me correctly.

The folk who came from the 'sooth' all lived nearby in Royal Street ( now Vansittart Street) or Wellington street. At the top of Royal Street was Coasters' Square – named for the people who came from the coast.

I have a copy of a Scottish Fisherwife – a Gutter, beautifully painted by Sylvia Pankhurst who made a study of Women at Work during the Suffragette Movement . The painting was done when the Scottish Fisher Lassies were down in England – likely in Yarmouth or Lowestoft..... if you'd like a copy please PM me.

Default Wick pics

My reply was for the Southview 7 picture - but I love all of the pictures, many thanks for putting them on - aren't you all clever I still cant do it !!

Trinkie

Default Wick Pics

Southview7... Someone pointed out to me in the small Post Card the lettering on the barrels - is that a C or G ?
    If C then that must be Calder's Yard. The skyline is right - looking over to the north side.

Shabbychick - I love your picture of Wick Harbour, though it is not a Wick skyline ! Artistic licence perhaps ?

I think this was "takein inaye backsideopoltney " maybe trinkie knows,
    The women on the left of the back row is my grannie.
    I have a copy of that photo from the Groat, July 5th 1996.

Your right fred,it was printed in wickers world then,that"s when i aquired the original.

Quote Originally Posted by Lavenderblue2 View Post
    Fred you seem to be a mine of information in these matters.

LB
    Not Ackergill in the late 1800s I'm not.

There is a book called "The story of Wick and Ackergill lifeboats" by Jeff Morris at Inverness Library, if you ask in Thurso or Wick library they may get it sent up for you.

Default staxigoe

As Wick was once "by staxigoe" thought i would include one of staxigoe.

Default Francis st.

This has all been very interesting.

Coincidentally I spent today wandering around Wick with my cousins who left with their parents to go to Bathgate fifty odd years ago........and among other things, they were talking about the boats on the river and the Trinkie.

They were also a bit peeved with the council that they hadn't taken better care of the building they were born in........and thought it ironic that it is the Planning and Building Services who occupy it now. Lol!

Quote Originally Posted by fred View Post
    Not Ackergill in the late 1800s I'm not.

There is a book called "The story of Wick and Ackergill lifeboats" by Jeff Morris at Inverness Library, if you ask in Thurso or Wick library they may get it sent up for you.

Thank you for that information Fred - I certainly will request that book.

LB

Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast