Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Wick Photos

What happened to the francis street church?

Quote Originally Posted by cemmts View Post
    I assume you mean the "West Church", which was on Francis Street between Dempster Street and Moray Street.

I know in my father's time (he was minister of the Central and West churches from about 1950 to 1967) the Central Church was used for the morning service, and the West Church for the evening service.

And the BB Bible Class was held in the West Church hall on Sunday mornings (at 10.15am). Sunday School in the Central at 11am, then Central Church at noon! Then possibly a service in a country hall. Then evening service in the West. Guess how often I go to church now?

I have seldom been back in Wick, but remember the shock at seeing the site of the West Church having been converted to a petrol station.

I think the last time I visited was with my parents for the dedication of the pipe organ in Pulteneytown Church, after the organ was moved from the Central Church following its sale to the Baptist Church.

These moves are typical of what is happening throughout Scotland, with the decline in church attendance.

The manse in Thurso Road where we stayed was actually the West Church manse, the Central manse having been sold and converted into the Queens hotel.

JimBews

Default west church

Quote Originally Posted by jimbews View Post
    I assume you mean the "West Church", which was on Francis Street between Dempster Street and Moray Street.

I know in my father's time (he was minister of the Central and West churches from about 1950 to 1967) the Central Church was used for the morning service, and the West Church for the evening service.

And the BB Bible Class was held in the West Church hall on Sunday mornings (at 10.15am). Sunday School in the Central at 11am, then Central Church at noon! Then possibly a service in a country hall. Then evening service in the West. Guess how often I go to church now?

I have seldom been back in Wick, but remember the shock at seeing the site of the West Church having been converted to a petrol station.

I think the last time I visited was with my parents for the dedication of the pipe organ in Pulteneytown Church, after the organ was moved from the Central Church following its sale to the Baptist Church.

These moves are typical of what is happening throughout Scotland, with the decline in church attendance.

The manse in Thurso Road where we stayed was actually the West Church manse, the Central manse having been sold and converted into the Queens hotel.

JimBews
    Is this a photo from the west church.

I am posting this on behalf of Trinkie. LB

My grandfather was a Lay Preacher in the West Kirk and lived in the Manse around 1908.
    Here he is sitting proudly with his Rechabite Group.
    Trinkie

Nice to see the photo of my grandfather and great grandfather again!

Im not sure exactly when the West Church was pulled down but I know it was in the past 40 years. My bedroom in the house that I was brought up in, had the church's old floor lining the gable wall. My dad was always a bit of a recycler even back then and he was working on the site at the time it was pulled down and reclaimed the wood from the floor.

Default bound for the shoals of herring

Default back with the catch

wick harbour in the "good old days".our in 50s.

the north side of the bay.

Fantastic photo south view 7 - I so envy you having one with an inscription. Is some of the writing cut off by photo framing? Can you give us the whole of it if it is?

it was knocked down to make way for dunnets [ford] garage
    dont know why i always thought that it was a pretty sound building.
    maybe some older orgers can answer it better.

Quote Originally Posted by helenwyler View Post
    Fantastic photo south view 7 - I so envy you having one with an inscription. Is some of the writing cut off by photo framing? Can you give us the whole of it if it is?
    Sorry helenwyler thats the complete inscription,can you decipher it ?

Quote Originally Posted by south view 7 View Post
    Sorry helenwyler thats the complete inscription,can you decipher it ?
    "These are our forefathers"
    "dont smile at (me)?"
    "? ? poor ?"

Hmmm!

Could it possibly be
    "These are our forefathers
    Don't smile at me & say alas poor ???Ferso???"

Quote Originally Posted by jimbews View Post
    The BB Bible Class was held in the West Church hall on Sunday mornings (at 10.15am).
    And I am sure the 3 B/W photos I found last week will be of a BB camp in the early 1950s. Very small photos, presumably contact prints from film from an old box camera.

See:

http://chemistry.st-andrews.ac.uk/st...slides/scan01/

JimBews

wick harbour1918

wick harbour in the 60s.

Default one for trinkie

Someone told me that the Nethercliffe Hotel has a lot of old photos on display. They mentioned that there were ones of Pulteney and the back streets. Does anyone have any to show on here? By the way thanks for all the photos, Im really enjoying looking back.

Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast