Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Old Wick Photos

Doing missionary work in Northern England

Wick images early 1960's

Got me scratching my head with the boat in the foreground ?? The outmost sma boat looks like the Girl Mina The seiners I think are right to left Golden Spinney with Enterprise inside Ardent with possibly Spray inside' ?? with Ocean Swell inside , Bluebell Maid of Honour with Spindrift inside

Hi my uncle Rex Watt and aunty Kate are in this photo thanks
    Michael

Quote Originally Posted by LIZZ View Post
    Would you have any pics of the Thrumster Station? The Yarrows Heritage Trust are seeking funding to do up the old station, and any archive pics or other info would be much appreciated. The engine is lovely - I think it was nicknamed the "Coffee Pot"

Default Fantastic Photos

It has been fantastic having another look through this thread and seeing so many of these old photos of Wick and the surrounding arrears especially now that I am becoming more familiar with the county.

I have also enjoyed looking at a couple of books The Caithness Vintage Picture Show and Vintage Wick.

One thing that does surprise me is I have only ever seen one photo of the shipwreck Jean Stephan that came ashore on Reiss beach in January 1958. I would have thought that since that date cameras have become more readily available and affordable to many more people and you would normally take a camera if you were going for a day out on the beach, as that is the only object on the beach there would be many photos of it going into decline over the last 50 years.

If anyone has any photos of the wreck in years gone by I would be fascinated to see them.
    A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears.

Default Fantastic

These are all fantastic images thanks for that i am sue everyone will enjoy looking at them.

some excellent pictures

Quote Originally Posted by south view 7 View Post

May 2005. Spot the difference!

Quote Originally Posted by trinkie View Post
    That's a great photo – thank you for putting it on.

It was hard work indeed, but you know the more I think about it the more I am convinced it was a lot better than working in Mills and Factories as most folk who went to cities had to do.
    The horrendous machinery must have been terrifying for folk who had come from the country.
    Think of the noise, danger and smells and air pollution ! That to me, is far worse than working in the open air with smelly fish.... or working in Service with all that that entailed for young women.

The parents of the women in your photo likely came to Pultney from the 'sooth' – from places like Latheron and Sarclet and would have been well used to hard work in the fields in all weathers.
    As the children grew up, working in the Fishing industry would give them a steady wage. It was an exciting time – a new way of life with a regular income, and better housing.

When I first looked at your picture I immediately thought it was a Yard in Lower Poltney.... But I really am not sure. The Yards in Poltney were Taylor's in Barrogill Street (where my grannie worked ) Skinner's Yard in Murchison Street and Stewarts and Bremner's Yard in Nicolson Street. Down round the Harbour there were Davidsons, More's and Calder's Yards. If my memory serves me correctly.

The folk who came from the 'sooth' all lived nearby in Royal Street ( now Vansittart Street) or Wellington street. At the top of Royal Street was Coasters' Square – named for the people who came from the coast.

I have a copy of a Scottish Fisherwife – a Gutter, beautifully painted by Sylvia Pankhurst who made a study of Women at Work during the Suffragette Movement . The painting was done when the Scottish Fisher Lassies were down in England – likely in Yarmouth or Lowestoft..... if you'd like a copy please PM me.
    Does anyone have any photos of Skinners Yard as I think that this was my mums families business and I have never seen photos of this.

Many thanks.
    Thanks
    Catherine

Quote Originally Posted by peter macdonald View Post
    Got me scratching my head with the boat in the foreground ?? The outmost sma boat looks like the Girl Mina The seiners I think are right to left Golden Spinney with Enterprise inside Ardent with possibly Spray inside' ?? with Ocean Swell inside , Bluebell Maid of Honour with Spindrift inside
    My dad had the Enterprise before it sun in 1973/74. Any more photos of this boat? I would love to see them.

I used to spend a lot of time at the harbour as a child and have many fond memories of the boats there and their skippers and crews.
    Thanks
    Catherine

Default Thank you for the photos and information

I'd like to thank everyone who has posted photographs and information in this forum which I only opened today.

It was great seeing the history and hearing of people and places that I was never aware of and others that I had forgotten about.

Sincere thanks.

Catherine
    Thanks
    Catherine

Thanks very much spurtle for posting that wonderful photo of the former narrow-gauge railway from Wick to Lybster. I'm impressed, and agree, the engine is tremendous. A lot better looking than I had imagined.

In many other locations up and down the country, especially in Wales, the locals value these small-routes as tourist attractions. It is a great pity that the Wick - Lybster line was simply disbanded and scrapped when at the very least it could have simply run for a few months each summer.

All in all, a stupid move indeed as we all know now that its gone its gone for good, an irreplaceable line.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine nicol View Post
    My dad had the Enterprise before it sun in 1973/74. Any more photos of this boat? I would love to see them.

I used to spend a lot of time at the harbour as a child and have many fond memories of the boats there and their skippers and crews.
    Catherine, try Trawlerphotos.com. It`s a huge site with a photo gallery with Vintage photos in. There may be some snaps there. Warning though there are literally 1000`s of photos. Great though if you like looking at fishing boats. Lots of Wick boats in there.

Default Link to Trawler Photos

Just incase anyone else is interested in the website evelyn kindly suggested

http://www.trawlerphotos.co.uk/
    Last edited by catherine nicol; 05-Mar-10 at 14:29. Reason: correct spelling error
    Thanks
    Catherine

Default Randal"s station hotel circa 1905

Default Station hotel 1920"s

Default aytopashorerod 1905

aetopoaeshorerod

Default sein netting 1963

Ajax heading for fishing grounds

takeing the catch aboard