Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Wick Photos

Default Wick photographs

I really liked all the photos ,and the memories they brought back.
    Were things al that wonderful back then?
    Us boys were always on the go. Boating on the river ,fishing at the harbour and all round the rocks,especially Longberry.
    I feel that the Town Council of Wick was remiss in many respectsbut two that I feel Strongly about,namely, the loss of othe boats on the river and also when they put the Morning Star on the Bonfire. She lay on the wee slip at the end of the Service Bridge and I understand she was one of Wicks original open lifeboats. A sad end to many things which brought a lot of fun and happiness to many folks over the years.I would not have missed these times for any other

Quote Originally Posted by Highland Laddie View Post
    Here are some names for this happy group of ladies.

Back row including the ladies squashed at the back; left to right:-

1?, 2?, 3?, 4?, 5 could be Aggie Campbell, 6?, 7?, 8?, 9 Mrs Ryrie, 10?, 11?, 12?, 13?, 14 Bella Clyne, 15?, 16?, 17?, 18?, 19 Bunty Miller, 20 Anne Campbell West Watten)

Standing on floor:
    1 Kathleen Harrold, 2?, 3?, 4?, 5 Mary Cuthbertson, 6?, 7?, 8 Kitty Thain (Woollies Wick) 9?, 10 Dudie Calder (Oldhall) 11Rena Swanson, 12?, 13 Etta Harrold, 14 Mrs Andrew (Larel) 15?.

Seated: 1?, 2?, 3 Mrs Sutherland, 4?, 5?, 6?

Sitting on Floor: 1?, 2?, 3?, 4 Marjory Henderson, 5?, 6 Emma Anderson (Watten P.O.) 7 Nettie Sutherland, 8 Sheena Murray 9 Mary Murray.

Looks like the bus driver waiting in the doorway at the back - I wonder who he was...

Default Photo

Well done LavB2.... So many names, that is amazing.

I wonder, could the woman with specs, standing in the back row - top left, near the door... could that be Isobel MacGhan ( laundry MacGhans) she used to go to all the Occasions to play the piano - she could make the old Joanna Ring like nobody else in Caithness ! We danced all the Country Dances to Isobel's playing .... then sang all the songs whilst she played on !

Torvaig and Moira - what do you think ?

Yes, well done LB. Could it be a WRI Social where different institutes got together and put on some entertainment for each other. The lady on the back row, far left could be The Lady Harmsworth who would sing at such occasions; maybe not..... and could the bus driver be Sandy Spence?

LB, thanks for clearing up the picture of Mrs. Gunn. I knew her face but couldn't quite remember the name.....

Default Who is he ???

Enlarged the man in the background, don't know if this helps any.

It's an accident of life to be born a gentleman
    It’s an achievement of life to die a gentleman.

Default More names

Someone else has given me some names for the ‘Ladies in the Hall/WI’ picture.
    They are not 100% sure though… but it’s worth a try.

Seated No. 6 Margaret Bremner (Staxigeo – who married Crofter Kleminse Kizonski))

Sitting on the floor No.5 Mina Miller (Papigeo - who married John McCaskill Wick radio)
    No.7 Shelia McDonald (Papigoe – who married Bill Gunn)

LB
    Last edited by Lavenderblue2; 07-Mar-08 at 17:55. Reason: Left out a name.

Quote Originally Posted by Torvaig View Post
    Yes, well done LB. Could it be a WRI Social where different institutes got together and put on some entertainment for each other. The lady on the back row, far left could be The Lady Harmsworth who would sing at such occasions; maybe not..... and could the bus driver be Sandy Spence?

LB, thanks for clearing up the picture of Mrs. Gunn. I knew her face but couldn't quite remember the name.....

I'm afraid I can't take the credit Torvaig - I went to visit my cousin last night and she was a great help and she's not finished yet!
    However I am delighted to be able to submit these names - it's lovely to look back don't you think.

LB

Hi Jean ,

I have sent you a pm, This is one of Anne's relations.

Thank you

i do have some old photos but I have not worked out how to show them,in spite of all the wonderful advice. I think if your thick yor thick. Maybe another gift from the mannie

Default bridge st.

Default Wick Town Band 1907

Quote Originally Posted by domino View Post
    i do have some old photos but I have not worked out how to show them,in spite of all the wonderful advice. I think if your thick yor thick. Maybe another gift from the mannie
    Please dont give up,insperation will strike,
    No one's thick some people just need extra help.
    Never judge someone until you have walked two moons in their moccasins.

Native American Indian saying.

Quote Originally Posted by south view 7 View Post
    What a great picture - see how the photographer felt the need to include a pot plant (bottom left) to enhance the photo - could it be an aspidistra, I not sure.

LB

Lavenderblue2, names for Bilbster School Photo:

From back l-r Henry Henderson, ?, Hughie Steven, Gordon Simpson, Jock Simpson
    Miss Macadam
    Second row from back,l-r David Innes, Achairn,Bruce Simpson, Robert Ryrie, Andrew John Steven, Hughie Miller, Donald Sutherland (Blacksmith)
    Third row l-r, Moira Macivor, Gladys Steven, Margaret Simpson, Meta Munro, Catherine Macivor, Marjory Henderson
    Front row l-r, Peter Hamilton, Donald Macivor, Margaret Campbell, Christine Sutherland, Elizabeth Macivor, Donnie Sutherland, Robert Ryrie.

(This brought a few memories back to my mother, Margaret Simpson)

Default Memories

Thank you for those names Alibaba - I recognised your mum as soon as I saw her in that photo. Now I see the names I knew most of them - lovely photo - happy memories.

LB

Default Kenneth Street Photo

Quote Originally Posted by robynaus View Post
    Kenneth Street Wick taken by Davidson's Real Photographic Series. Probably between 1915 and 1925
    regards robyn
    Bill Fernie has posted a more recent similar view of Kenneth Street.
    http://www.caithness.org/atoz/wick/k...ethstreet1.htm

Help: On the old photo posted in this forum - can anyone tell me what the building at the end is? Was it a school? Was that building in Newton Road. When was the current High School built.
    http://www.caithness.org/atoz/wick/p...ry=27&image=21

The Kenneth St views from the Thurso Road end looking down to Newton Road!
    Coronation Street would be sharp right at the end before Newton Road.

Tricia
    NB
    Since writing above I have found 1950s photos of school and yes it looks like old school building - the old photo just makes it look as though it is too close to be in West Banks.
    Last edited by Tricia; 22-Mar-08 at 14:59.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Tricia View Post
    Bill Fernie has posted a more recent similar view of Kenneth Street.
    http://www.caithness.org/atoz/wick/k...ethstreet1.htm

Help: On the old photo posted in this forum - can anyone tell me what the building at the end is? Was it a school? Was that building in Newton Road. When was the current High School built.
    http://www.caithness.org/atoz/wick/p...ry=27&image=21

The Kenneth St views from the Thurso Road end looking down to Newton Road!
    Coronation Street would be sharp right at the end before Newton Road.

Tricia
    NB
    Since writing above I have found 1950s photos of school and yes it looks like old school building - the old photo just makes it look as though it is too close to be in West Banks.
    Hi Tricia and all
    Thank you for that Tricia
    I have a lot of old photos of Keiss and I enjoy looking at the ones on the Org , again taken by Bill I think, of the same places taken more recently.
    Regards robyn
    Looking for Bain, Mowat(t), from Keiss-by-Wick

Default Wick Pictures

Thank you everyone for your contribution. They certainly brought back fond memories. Maybe some day I will work out how to post photos and add a few more.
    Well done

this looks like the 1950s.could be Alex Mathieson"s cart.

Wick harbour 1930s

Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast