Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Printer question ?

Default Printer question ?

I am currently using a Desktop PC operating Vista. I have a second PC operating XP. My question is : Can I connect both PC's to the one printer ? If so would I need some sort of two way adaptor cable, as one might for any other appliance ??
    OR...........would this not work as the operating programmes on the two PC's are not the same ?

Quote Originally Posted by scaraben View Post
    I am currently using a Desktop PC operating Vista. I have a second PC operating XP. My question is : Can I connect both PC's to the one printer ? If so would I need some sort of two way adaptor cable, as one might for any other appliance ??
    OR...........would this not work as the operating programmes on the two PC's are not the same ?
    I think I would network the two computers then make one of them a print server.

easiest way is with something like this pretty easy to setup, and does exactly what you want

If you've already got the two PC's networked through a switch or router then I'd agree with Nick - the Netgear PS121 (especially the v2 model) is excellent, however at around £50 it's an expensive way to do it.

If they're not already networked then Fred's idea of networking the two PC's together using a crossover cable (both PC's should already have network ports - an internal addon card is less than £5 if not) and using one as a server is by far the cheapest option.

The first option also has the benefit over the second in that you don't need the server PC to be switched on - either computer can print without the other being on.

So Scaraben, the question is, do you already have a router or network switch? It may be that your broadband modem may be able to handle multiple connections i.e. one USB & one Ethernet. If so a network could be made using it - please let us know what your broadband modem is if you're not sure.

Default Printer question ?

I'm begining to think it might be best for me to just disconnect the printer from my Vista PC & plug it into my old XP model when I want to print from there !!!!!!!!!!!
    I'm well on in years and not the sharpest knife in the drawer when it comes to things technical. You have both tried to help me in good faith and I AM grateful, but your solutions scare the daylights out of me !!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bobinovich View Post
    If you've already got the two PC's networked through a switch or router then I'd agree with Nick - the Netgear PS121 (especially the v2 model) is excellent, however at around £50 it's an expensive way to do it.
    Conversely I have had nothing but bad experiences at work with Netgear USB print servers (and others by at least one other manufacturer). These were mainly with HP 1320 laser printers, but also an HP 2200.

Conversely I have found that parallel print servers (of any manufacturer that I have tried) are absolutely rock solid.

You may also want to check whether your printer has both a parallel and USB printer port. If it has both you USUALLY find that you can attach a computer to each port and it just works. Often been used here for users who have a Mac and a PC on their desk.

Having said that - if you have a broadband router, with your computers networked via ethernet cables (or wireless) the networked print server is much the best solution. Especially for laptop users as it saves plugging peripherals in and out, possibly damaging the ports.

Taking TCO (total cost of ownership) into account, you may even find it worth buying a colour laser printer with a built-in network port :-)

JimBews