Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Another Disappointment

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Another Disappointment

Disappointing but not surprising to learn that two new ferries are to be built in Turkey, not in the state owned shipyard.

Good news for the islanders though as they will hopefully get them sooner rather than later.

In the meantime 801 and 802 continue to be delayed.

Would it not be better in these rather depressing times to look for good news stories rather than latching on to the usual SNPBAD stories from the MSM? Most of the time they are just regurgitated press releases from Labour and the Tories where the facts have been spun in an attempt to discredit the SG. Here is a good news story that, for some reason that escapes me, didn't make the headlines:-

A recent report from the Child Poverty Action Group entitled "The Cost of a Child in Scotland" stated:-

‘The combined value of these factors (Scottish Gov't initiatives) will reduce the net cost of bringing up a child by up to 31% (nearly £24,000) for low-income families, once all announced policies are in place.'

‘This report has shown that in Scotland, families are sigificantly better off in this regard, as a result both of Scottish government policies seeking to address the problem and childcare costs that have not risen as fast as in England. It is important to emphasise that this does not mean that families in Scotland escape hardship, and benefit levels remain well below what families need. However, it is encouraging to observe that policies at the Scottish level have made a substantial and not a negligible difference.'.

It is easy to feign disappoinment when the true emotion is actually schadenfreude.

Watched the report on STV News.

"This report has shown that in Scotland, families are sigificantly better off in this regard, as a result both of Scottish government policies seeking to address the problem and childcare costs that have not risen as fast as in England. It is important to emphasise that this does not mean that families in Scotland escape hardship, and benefit levels remain well below what families need. However, it is encouraging to observe that policies at the Scottish level have made a substantial and not a negligible difference.'.

Looks like the SG have a good way to go, judging by this quote.

I know that the SG want to improve exports to other parts of the world but I didn't think it would include the jobs of Scottish shipbuilders.

Well paid jobs would go some way to helping to reduce child poverty etc, so it is genuinely disappointing to see a missed opportunity.

I am not trying to dismiss the disappointment of this order going to Turkey. All I am trying to say is that I am fed up with the negative spin I see the MSM putting on stories about events happening in Scotland. I cannot think of another country where the media is so anti the country they operate in. A lot of good things happen in Scotland. We are praised around the world for our actions on, for example, renewable energy; alcohol pricing; reducing knife crime; social care and child poverty yet our MSM twists these positives into negatives by lying. I merely urge you to exercise caution when reading articles about Scotland in the MSM. There is nearly always a hidden agenda.

I don't know the ins and outs of this particular ferry tendering deal but since it involves spending public money I am sure the SG would have been aware of their obligation to get the best value for the taxpayer. You never know maybe the Scottish yard will be given the job of building a new royal yacht even though HMQ doesn't want one.

Hi,
    I have watched The Replacement of the Scottish Ferries for many years.
    After The Glasgow Shipyards fell apart, the Unions being blamed, all ship building went abroad.
    Simply is is cheaper…..yes much cheaper to build them abroad.
    And yes there have been problems with some from the East, but they are the ‘lowest bid’.

Now there is a ‘Caveat to that’………Holland, Belgium, and that ilk, do build amazing boats. Just look at the Fishing Boats. But they are expensive! Ask one if the Fishermen who had one built in Scandinavia. And they bring them back there every few years to have then re—furbished.
    And when I came to Canada in the 1970’s, after the shipyards had fallen apart, you would find many Scottish Union Reps running the Unions here…..Commonly called ‘The SCOTTISH MAFIA’!

Looks like this subject will take some sorting out, a lot of questions to be answered by the SG.

If I was working at the shipyard I would already be looking for a new job, as after this, who would place an order for any boat or ship at that yard ? The end for the Clyde and unfortunately not a very distinguished one considering it's history.

Horseman, I have seen the "Scottish Mafia" in action here and suffered as a result of their actions. I will leave it at that.