Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Windows 10 and mobile wi-fi router

Default Windows 10 and mobile wi-fi router

I have a desktop pc running Windows 10 that I sometimes use to access the Internet using a mobile wi-fi router (which work has lent me during the lockdown in case I had to self isolate), I don't have landline Internet access at the flat.

Earlier this week I went online to look at my work email, I hadn't been online on the pc for a few weeks. I didn't do any web surfing but when I looked in the Network and Sharing Centre, I found that in that session that I had used over four gigabits of data. Some of this would be the updating of my anti-virus, but as as I can see the vast bulk of this was Windows updates, I have no problem with security updates but the size of the updates seems excessive, does anyone know a way of reducing this, please?

I will have to return the mobile wi-fi router to my employer soon and I am interested in buying a pay-as-you-go mobile wi-fi router for my own limited use and I don't want to waste my data allowance.

All you need to do is turn off automatic updates, Regards, Tom.

use an old mobile and giffgaff sim card
    you can get unlimited very fast data for <£30PCM no contract.
    Private Electronic Workshop in Wick - send us a PM
    **WE NOW DO REPAIRS AND CRACKED SCREENS ON MANY PHONES & TABLETS**
    PC virus/ransomware/data recovery/repair & service
    also Private marine & CB/Amateur radio repairs