Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Nuke Station ‘Nuked’!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Nuke Station ‘Nuked’!

I am surprised at the Negative Implications of The Mini Nuclear Reactor!
    What does the Community think?

I take it no one is interested/has Thots!
    I see in the ‘Groat’ today, The MSP is accused of disregarding the ‘Will of the Far North’, to at least consider the Proposals.
    Nuclear Energy Reactors have come a long way since Dounreay……
    Many small units are being used around the World….from ships to a University near where I live.
    The disasters were either from lack of understanding on how to shut them down properly, carelessness, or some being built in a compromising position/place making them vulnerable to ‘the elements’!
    I guess we shall see. I see I got ‘some reads’ so that’s good. Ty

Quote Originally Posted by The Horseman View Post
    I am surprised at the Negative Implications of The Mini Nuclear Reactor!
    What does the Community think?
    I wonder how many of the community in Caithness were actually asked what they thought of it or was it people from the Ord south who were consulted?

Corky, Perhaps you could explain why The SNP’s Maree Todd is against the Mini Nuclear Facility.
    Gawd, I was on a Nuclear Powered Aircraft Carrier with 5,500 personnel, and it was safe, and I survived!
    Perhaps you could explain…tks…

What makes you think I know Maree Todd's mind? I'm not in the SNP.

All nuclear facilities are safe until the moment something goes wrong. Three Mile Island, Chernobyl and Windscale were all safe until they weren't.

Quote Originally Posted by Corky Smeek View Post
    What makes you think I know Maree Todd's mind? I'm not in the SNP.

All nuclear facilities are safe until the moment something goes wrong. Three Mile Island, Chernobyl and Windscale were all safe until they weren't.
    ‘Gosh’ I thot u were, SNP!

These were ‘too big to fail facilities’. If you read WHY these large Country ran Plants failed, you would see that bad planning, carelessness ana a myriad of other ‘faux pas’ created the probs. The smaller ones have been around for years. USS Nimitz was built in 1972.
    The US has 10 Aircraft Carriers…..still going, as does many Countries.

Yes, but the 3 you mention were massive…anyway was just wondering and though u mite know! Ty.

AND……Dounreay was also ‘a mess’! I remember people I new being exposed to Radiation in the early 60’s. Yes they died…..that was 60 years ago.
    It was ‘trial and error’ then, but we have come a long way.
    We have to understand, that many of the World’s largest Ships are being powered by small reactors!
    My Daughter works for a Company that runs a Reactor making Radiation Isotopes for medical use, and their oversight is enormous.
    There are only two main ones is the World……..Canada and Russia.
    Until ‘cold fusion’ becomes a reality, (if ever) we need ‘clean energy’!
    The North of Scotland needs work, and it would be desirable to have The Newest, most advanced, and Safest Nuclear Energy!
    I think the Public should not expect less.
    Was checking the Groat and Struan Mackie seems to favour consultation etc.

AND…I see this Subject has had 800 reads… Methinks people are reluctant to state their opinions….’kinda sad’!
    It is only ‘a robust’ Council of respected people that will make a difference……some of the Councillors get in by posting selfies to the papers and Breathing…..time for ‘A Change’ Corky….take the lead!
    And I say this ‘tongue in cheek’…Caithness people get off your backsides, and fight for your rights! It’s called Democrary!
    Last edited by The Horseman; 21-Feb-22 at 15:35.

My opinion is that the UK will eventually have to take a close look at nuclear energy, although I think it is too late and Hinckley Point B is not exactly a good advert on how it should be done. The transition to renewables is going slowly and the "Net Zero" and "just transition" catch phrases will not make renewables any more affordable.

Of course the SNP will not contemplate nuclear power especially as they have new "chums" on board, fair enough it was part of their manifesto that they were elected on.

In the meantime whilst the SG and Greens dance on Cambo's grave I will continue to use electricity which I believe is imported from France.

It would appear that Beijing Gas are interested in buying up Shell's assets in the North Sea due to Shell wanting to focus on renewables. Imagine that, relying on Russia and China for oil and gas, now there's a recipe for WW3 or some very dark and cold winters.

If anyone wants to read about the New Nuke Plants ‘Google’…….

‘A first for Canada…New type of Nuclear Plant opens in 2028’. Small, portable and will service 300,000 homes.
    They are called…..Small Modular Reactor,…SMR).
    Last edited by The Horseman; 01-May-22 at 19:59.

rolls royce was wanting to test modular reactors so why not do it up here

GREENPEACE!
    Quietly hidden away, is the change in direction of Patrick Moore, one of the Founders of Greenpeace and a Director of said Foundation, who has changed his mind on Nuclear!
    He stated that there are over 100 Nuclear Plants in America and Canada, none of which have every caused an Injury or Death.
    The exception is Chernobyl which was a badly designed Russian Plant.
    Accidents are the exception, not the Rule he stated.

Balancing Social, Environmental, and Economics…….leads to a balance on Social Environmentalism!

Well said!

News…in The Province of Ontario, Canada, the largest Nuclear Generating Station in the World has been operating for approx 30 years.
    Now they are expanding it to nearly double it’s present size….
    Even the Co Founder of Greenpeace has changed his mind, and stated that Nuclear Power Generation is the safest!.

***** Canada has been very careful with Nuclear Energy. This has been a long time in Investigation!
    Last edited by The Horseman; 06-Jul-23 at 16:20.