Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: New Highway Code Regulations

Default New Highway Code Regulations

There has been so much else going on that I failed to notice that new and quite significant changes have been made to the Highway Code. They came into effect on 29 January and they are far reaching in their effect. Just in case anyone else is unaware of the changes here are a couple of links.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/t...9-january-2022

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zU9tBBQNq_0&t=320s

For me, two things stand out:-

1. Motorists must now give way to pedestrians waiting to cross the street at a junction.

2. Motorists must give cyclists at least 1.5m (5 feet) clearance when overtaking at speeds of up to 30mph - and even more space when the car is travelling faster.

Maybe it's just me but I think more could have been done to publicise these changes. They are significant and change the priorities for all of us.

The second link is to a video, made by a barrister, who points out a number of issues which he thinks might lead to chaos.

If all road users were considerate and careful we wouldn't need all this. One change I would like is to make it compulsory for cyclists to wear hi-vis jackets at all times and the same for pedestrians in the dark. Also I've been shocked by how many pedestrians step into the road without checking for traffic. Much of this is common sense.
    The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

I think my worry is that some people may think that these changes give pedestrians the right to step out into the road and expect cars to stop for them. I shudder to think what the consequences might be.

I suspect that these changes may lead to more conflicts between various sections of road users, also I fear there will be an increase in collisions.

Hopefully (optimistic) common sense and courtesy may prevail.

Even though these changes give priority to cyclists, pedestrians etc it is well worth remembering that it will be no consolation if you end up in A&E.

On the subject of pedestrians stepping out unexpectedly, this will become a bigger problem as EV's become more widespread.

Priority to horses as well!

I have just bought a copy of the Highway Code advertised on e-bay as compatible with 2022 driving test requirements. It does not include these changes. Other buyers should be aware.

I don't see many horse drawn vehicles these days but do see increasing numbers of motorised/electric wheelchairs and can't find any reference to these. I thought "Road users requiring extra care" might cover it but it doesn't. Some use the side of the road and some pavements. Have I missed something?
    The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

No, there are not many horse drawn vehicles- just lots of people riding on roads and motorists who do not always make allowances for passing them safely.

Quote Originally Posted by oldchemist View Post
    I have just bought a copy of the Highway Code advertised on e-bay as compatible with 2022 driving test requirements. It does not include these changes. Other buyers should be aware.
    Isn't the Highway Code/Act free?