Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Porky Pies

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Porky Pies

Today in the House of Commons we witnessed the ridiculous pantomime of Ian Blackford who, using a combination of the PM's past statements and details from the Sue Gray report, called Boris Johnson a liar. He was ejected from the HoC a few minutes later. This is standard practice when one MP calls another MP a liar and Blackford would certainly have known the likely consequences of his actions.

However, I think most reasonable people, looking at the same evidence as Blackford, would have come to the same conclusion as he did. Despite this, we have ended up with the ridiculous situation where the person doing the correct thing is punished and the person doing the wrong thing gets allowed to remain and continue in office.

No wonder the rest of the world is shaking its head in disbelief at what is happening on these islands.

Yes, I totally agree with you but sadly, history gives many instances of this and things don't change that easily, we seem to go one step forwards and two back a lot of the time. I am not a fan of Mr Blackford as a rule but he did the right thing in my book and reflected the views of many. I was disgusted too with the sideways, snide remark that was directed towards him last week by our PM but thankfully, Mr Blackford is more than capable of giving back as good as he has received. I would say that he won the round.

My ‘humble’ opinion…..
    Politicians do this, so that they can be remembered for ‘doing something’.
    Of course he knew he would get booted.
    Makes it more ‘memorable’ than just a speech!
    The Games people Play! There was a song about this!
    Last edited by The Horseman; 01-Feb-22 at 23:54.

Quote Originally Posted by The Horseman View Post
    My ‘humble’ opinion…..
    Politicians do this, so that they can be remembered for ‘doing something’.
    Of course he knew he would get booted.
    Makes it more ‘memorable’ that just a speech!
    The Games people Play! There was a song about this!
    Yes, but my wider point was parliamentary procedures required that the truth teller be "punished" and the liar "rewarded". That is hardly an appropriate message to be sending to the general public from the so-called "Mother of Parliaments".

Quote Originally Posted by Corky Smeek View Post
    Yes, but my wider point was parliamentary procedures required that the truth teller be "punished" and the liar "rewarded". That is hardly an appropriate message to be sending to the general public from the so-called "Mother of Parliaments".
    It’s the ‘Way of the World’.

And is that good enough? You're very keen to make excuses for your favourite right-wingers (a courtesy you don't extend to your pet hate CNN, of course), it's only a party, respect The Leader and the like, but look at who you're defending.

Boris Johnson is a serial liar, sacked from the Tory house journal The Telegraph for making up a story, a man with no principles or loyalty except to himself, who thinks the rules he makes are for us little people. The vast majority of people stuck to the Covid rules, often at great personal cost, only to find that senior politicians and officials are cheerfully breaking those same rules, lying about it, laughing about it, then when they're found out, making the kind of excuses a five year-old wouldn't expect to be believed.

You might echo the Tory line of contemptuous shrugs and telling the rest of us to move on, but there's a very real feeling of anger that isn't going away. Some things shouldn't be ignored or tolerated.