Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: The Incredible Shrinking Pound

Default The Incredible Shrinking Pound

It was nice to hear that on the same day that millions of people learnt their energy bills were to increase dramatically that SHELL managed to make between £12 to 14 billion pounds pre tax profit in the last three months of 2021. It appears to be the case of "let the good times roll" at Shell and other energy companies. These companies seem to be in a win, win situation and that all of the UK Governments are reluctant to upset them. After the feeding frenzy for the Scotwind project leases I don't think the Governments have much to worry about by upsetting these companies who can see profit opportunities that are there to be taken.

Whilst I understand that these companies must profit from their investments in order for us to enjoy their services it should be remembered that a lot of taxpayers money has been handed over to them in the form of Green Levy's and subsidies, may be it is time to either suspend or stop these handouts to energy companies.

Not much good news on the cost of living, just read that Scottish Water are to increase their water rate charges by 4.2% and Glasgow Councillors are going to lobby the Government to push up the price of diesel and petrol in order to force people to use their cars less and use public transport instead. Just waiting to see how much the Council Tax will increase.

I am starting to think that Net Zero refers to the amount of money left in your wage packet the day after pay day.

We are all in the ‘same boat’!
    Shell rec’d I think $220 million from the US Gov’t, and then laid of thousands of people. Big bucks/Pounds to the rich.