Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: BT Halo

Default BT Halo

Has anyone had any experiences, good or bad with BT Halo?
    Michael Stone is innocent.
    Convicted without any forensic evidence and failed to be picked at any ID parade
    So who did kill Lin & Megan Russell
    http://www.michaelstone.co.uk/

as long as there is a stable and strong EE signal where you are its very fast and very reliable.
    but if your std available phoneline broadband is not FTTP or slower than 25Mbps it will cost you the earth.

the EE mobile network hosts the emergency services tetra radio network so also has many redundancies built-in and is available caithness wide and when running normal is fast.
    but don't think that would ever be available to you should your line fed BB fail, it will still be throttled.

i seriously doubt they would allow it up here.

dx
    Private Electronic Workshop in Wick - send us a PM
    **WE NOW DO REPAIRS AND CRACKED SCREENS ON MANY PHONES & TABLETS**
    PC virus/ransomware/data recovery/repair & service
    also Private marine & CB/Amateur radio repairs

Thanks for that DX. So I take it that my BB speeds (see attached) are not adequte

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BB Speeds.JPG 
Views:	115 
Size:	26.2 KB 
ID:	35712q
    Michael Stone is innocent.
    Convicted without any forensic evidence and failed to be picked at any ID parade
    So who did kill Lin & Megan Russell
    http://www.michaelstone.co.uk/

6mbps on VDSL.
    something is very very wrong!!
    or your should never had been put on that as expected speeds are impossible to attain at your location

without being personal
    can you PM me your postcode.?

dx
    Private Electronic Workshop in Wick - send us a PM
    **WE NOW DO REPAIRS AND CRACKED SCREENS ON MANY PHONES & TABLETS**
    PC virus/ransomware/data recovery/repair & service
    also Private marine & CB/Amateur radio repairs

I recently binned off the old cable broadband and have gone for a 4g setup, cheaper and 3x faster
    W.A.T.P.

Me too. BT was NEVER going to upgrade my copper line to the exchange, so I paid £40 for a mini-router, and 20-something a month for unltd data (Vodafone). Never looked back.
    I have to hang it in a particular window, and I added a wifi extender, but it all seems to work. Good enough for streaming anyway.
    It would be good to hear what everyone else is doing, if you are in one of the many rural patches with dismal BT service?

Just got BT to disconnect my line (no charge) and bought one of these https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8652...ickPR=plp:3:40 and a £16 unlimited data from 3 https://www.uswitch.com/mobiles/sim-...sim-only-deals Works perfectly, can run 2 desktops, 2 phones, and stream to tv faster than we could with BT hub, plus its now way cheaper than BT with the new increase to £28.50 thereabouts. Highly recommend it, provided you've got an ok 3 signal, there is a checker online

Excellent info.
    BT refused to upgrade a whole cluster of houses in my vicinity, for "business" reasons. One by one, we are cancelling contracts, so perhaps it wasn't a very far-sighted business decision? My missus worried about losing landline comms in an emergency, but usable internet at last, and a lower monthly bill, made me very happy.